University places (1 Viewer)

SSejychan

HSC
I was wondering.. let's say that i want to get into course A in uni, and this course has a cut-off of 90. Let's say that i get 91, so that means that i qualify for entrance into this course. Now, if 200 people get above 90 and also want to get into this course, what if the uni only wants to accept 100 students into the course? Does that mean that, although all those 200 students got a uai above the cut-off, then 100 of them will be 'culled' because the uni only wants 100 students?

So, what i'm trying to get at is... so, getting a uai above the 'cut-off' does not automatically mean that i make it into the course? So, as i said before, i get a 91 uai. So, if someone gets a 92 uai, then they'll have a better chance of getting into the course than me?

ok... i think i'm getting myself muddled up... so, the cut-off is only an indication of the uai you'll need to get in, but you still have a better chance if you get a higher uai than 'needed'....

well. my situation is, i want to get into psychology at unsw which has a cut-off of 90.35 (dfee). So, if i get a uai of 91, then, even though i'm above the cut-off, i won't necessarily make it into the course, right?

or, is it a lot more complicated than that?... >_>"

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
The cutoffs are recalculated each year, and are based on the number of people who apply and the number of places available. Last year's cutoffs are only a guide to what this year's cutoff might be.

So if 200 people apply to a course, and they only have 100 places, then the top 100 people will get in, and the UAI of person 100 - ie, the lowest UAI that received an offer - is the cutoff. If you are applying for a 2008 place, and you get above the 2008 cutoff, which won't be known until the offers are released, then you will receive an offer.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Suddenly, I don't feel so confident.
I guess we'll just have to try our best and hope to get an outstand UAI then. And pray to any god that's listening that we get into a course. :)

SSejychan

HSC
jayadore said:
Suddenly, I don't feel so confident.
I guess we'll just have to try our best and hope to get an outstand UAI then. And pray to any god that's listening that we get into a course. :)
yeah... i hope....

but, i'm practically looking at a uai of only just scraping 90... so... there go my unsw psych hopes... >_>"

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
never fear there is always B psych at UWS
or alternately psychologly as a major through a BSc or BA both available at UNSW :D

ZJ NingNing

HSC
SSejychan said:
yeah... i hope....

but, i'm practically looking at a uai of only just scraping 90... so... there go my unsw psych hopes... >_>"
NO! dont just hope. Do your best Ssejy so you can transfer into med a year later and we can do the course together (provided that I can get in, which I doubt)

Thanks, Triangulum, for your post, now I understand how it works.

SSejychan

HSC
ZJ NingNing said:
NO! dont just hope. Do your best Ssejy so you can transfer into med a year later and we can do the course together (provided that I can get in, which I doubt)

Thanks, Triangulum, for your post, now I understand how it works.
lol.... are you stalking me.. 0_o

kidding..

but... i really do hope i get into the course... but.. wow.. unfortunate for all the people who miss out... it must be a lot...

SSejychan

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
oh god.... 2 stalkers......0_o... *runs away*

ahhhh.... gotta stop getting pulled into the spam-vortex....

Bad Gab. down....

on topic though, is there anywhere i can find out how many people they accept into courses?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
SSejychan said:
oh god.... 2 stalkers......0_o... *runs away*

ahhhh.... gotta stop getting pulled into the spam-vortex....

Bad Gab. down....

on topic though, is there anywhere i can find out how many people they accept into courses?
:(

I would not have a clue if you can find that sort of information online, I suppose you can always contact the universities, but that might not work. Don't know how you're going to get that sort of information Jess.

SSejychan

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
:(

I would not have a clue if you can find that sort of information online, I suppose you can always contact the universities, but that might not work. Don't know how you're going to get that sort of information Jess.
yeah..... that's true... nah.. i guess i won't worry too much about it, and just focus on making the cutoff... whether or not i get in....

and, there there Gab, i still like you :)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
SSejychan said:
yeah..... that's true... nah.. i guess i won't worry too much about it, and just focus on making the cutoff... whether or not i get in....

and, there there Gab, i still like you :)
Aww :shy:

Yeah, pretty much all you can do for now is do as well as you can and aim as high as you can for your UAI, that's all you can do for now :uhhuh:

SSejychan

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
LOL awwww don't worry too much :)

omgsh Jess? name change?
nope... just another account :D

and i think my brain is too cluttered with study to even remember what i'm worrying about.. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)