University of British Columbia (and Canada in general) (1 Viewer)

rhi191

HSC
Hey All

I applied to go on exchange to UBC semester 2 (aussie semester so beginning of canadian school year) this year and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips about housing/uni life/canada in general (as I have never been there or been overseas before!!)

I am doing a bachelor of science and I currently go to Melbourne Uni (happy to answer questions) I will be mainly doing genetics and microbiology and other biology subjects.

I am planning on living in dorms. Do you guys thing this is a good option? I have never lived away from home before.

Any information would be fantastic.

What is it like on campus? Did I make the right choice??

Thansk in Advance and fingers crossed I get accepted

Rhi

Peartie

HSC
I dont know about Canada but for a semester the dorms seem good enough (im in one at the moment) but much more than 1 or 2 semesters and I would be looking for somewhere else - good luck!

mac43

HSC
Hi Rhi,

Although I have not attended university at UBC, I am from Canada and have spent some time in BC (although mostly in other provinces) so hopefully my answers are still relevant.

To answer your first question, dorms are generally a good idea if this is your first time away from home. Since you're doing an exchange, you're probably going to want to meet new people since you're new here. I believe that UBC has a dorm for international students. Another bonus for living in res is that you won't cook (or dishes) for yourself either! Also, the best parties happen in res too so you can't wrong with that!

As for what the campus is like, I wouldn't be able to answer that question. And doing an exchange is always the right choice!

Other tidbits of information that may be helpful:
- Generally, its fairly cold in Canada, although the temperature is more "temperate" in Vancouver since its on the coast. Expect temperatures to be anywhere from -10 to 25 in Vancouver (although the average temp hovers around 0 in the winter and 15-20 in the summer - remember that our seasons are opposite to you southern hemispherers)
- Vancouver is also a very wet city. Buy an umbrella when you get here as it rains alot, especially during the winter.
- Doing some snowboarding (or skiing) is a must, especially with the world class ski resorts that we have. Whistler-Blackcomb is probably the most well known ski resort in Canada and is a relatively short drive from Vancouver. I'm sure your res will organize a ski trip or two.

rhi191

HSC
Hey Guys

Thanks for your help. Well I got rejected but have applied for University of Toronto. I hear it's even colder there!

elena24

HSC
Hey! Good luck with the process..so your leaving second semester! wow how long before you will find out for sure? Caus i wanna go exchange next year(2nd semster too, im also at Melb uni!!) Also if toronto fails and youre head strong about going to canada, there is always McGill, a top university.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)