University Exchange- Edinburgh or Dublin? (1 Viewer)

elena24

HSC
Hey!
Just wondering what people's opinions are of these two places. I'm gonna be going on exchange next year in semester 2 (for one year) and have narrowed it down.

Anyone actually been on exchange or visited these two cities? Any advice or input greatly appreciated..trying to get as much info before I even begin to make a decision.
Cheers!

Peartie

HSC
ive been to boths cities, as a tourist not as a student so it could be different,

BUT

I thought both cities had alot going for them, both were great. Ive talked to some students that have studied there and I got the feeling that both had good facilities.

Personally, as much as I loved Edinburgh, I feel that the student life would be better in Dublin - and Edinburgh is only a short trip away to visit anyway...

X

xeuyrawp

Hey!
Just wondering what people's opinions are of these two places. I'm gonna be going on exchange next year in semester 2 (for one year) and have narrowed it down.

Anyone actually been on exchange or visited these two cities? Any advice or input greatly appreciated..trying to get as much info before I even begin to make a decision.
Cheers!
Edinburgh definitely.

a) Better resources,
b) produces better scholars, imo,
c) gets more quality students from the UK, whereas Dublin essentially gets students just from Ireland, so not only are the students better (which is more than half the university experience, imo), but they've also got better support for international students.

== consistently ranked higher. If you strip away the giant steroid universities of the US which the rankings love so much, Edinburgh usually appears in the top ~15 of the world.

elena24

HSC
Edinburgh! I'm going there on exchange too hopefully. It looks amazing - cosmopolitan and historic mixed together!
Wow, cool! When did you plan on doing your exchange to Edinburgh? What Uni you at..and how come you chose Edinburgh? Sorry bout all the questions! :p

And thanks to those who replied, I appreciate it!

I'm definitely leaning towards Edinburgh now, caus its more international as someone said and its a hub which makes it easy to visit the rest of Europe. I know Dublin is the same, but I dunno, I guess somthing is pulling me towards Edinburgh!

artist91

HSC
Yeah Edinburgh's in the UK too which makes it easier to visit London than Dublin. I want to go to ECA (the Edinburgh College of Art). My course (design) only offers 4 places for exchange - Edinburgh, Calgary (CAN), Norway and Japan. Norway and Japan are not taught in English. So for me it's a choice between Edinburgh and the Alberta College of Art and Design in Calgary. From my research I've found out that Calgary is more a suburban city rather than a cosmopolitan one, and the arts scene in Edinburgh is far superior. Plus, flights from Edinburgh to Paris are so cheap... it opens up the whole of Europe, whilst Calgary is ages away from other cities like Vancouver and in those the USA. What uni are you looking at? Uni of Edinburgh?

Peartie

HSC
Yeah Edinburgh's in the UK too which makes it easier to visit London than Dublin.
not that much easier, if indeed easier - about the same time with flights probably and there are open border agreements (or at least last i heard there were) between republic of Ireland and UK...

elena24

HSC
Yeah Edinburgh's in the UK too which makes it easier to visit London than Dublin. I want to go to ECA (the Edinburgh College of Art). My course (design) only offers 4 places for exchange - Edinburgh, Calgary (CAN), Norway and Japan. Norway and Japan are not taught in English. So for me it's a choice between Edinburgh and the Alberta College of Art and Design in Calgary. From my research I've found out that Calgary is more a suburban city rather than a cosmopolitan one, and the arts scene in Edinburgh is far superior. Plus, flights from Edinburgh to Paris are so cheap... it opens up the whole of Europe, whilst Calgary is ages away from other cities like Vancouver and in those the USA. What uni are you looking at? Uni of Edinburgh?
Yeah, I'm thinking Uni of Edinburgh for sure! I'm at Melb Uni and I don't know how many places there are available but I have heard it is pretty popular.
Ah yes, Paris, only a short flight away! Don't get me started! It's the best!

As for Calgary, well yes of course it is smaller and exaclty as you said, abit suburban. I guess if you can get a place at Edinburgh, thn go for it! When are you going to put in you application?

Andi0390

HSC
I haven't been to either place but I have been looking at exchanges. Take into account other things that are influenced by location.

If you are going to be paying for yourself over there (as opposed to parents or something) you should be looking into housing availability and prices. If you want to go residence housing then look at the prices for that too. If you plan to get a job see if there are different Visa's and what work you can do, as well as availability and average pay. Also remember exchange rate.

Between those two places I would probably put a lot of weight on the uni itself, but I presume you have looked into that and they are reasonably equal.

I'd go Edinburgh.

elena24

HSC
I haven't been to either place but I have been looking at exchanges. Take into account other things that are influenced by location.

If you are going to be paying for yourself over there (as opposed to parents or something) you should be looking into housing availability and prices. If you want to go residence housing then look at the prices for that too. If you plan to get a job see if there are different Visa's and what work you can do, as well as availability and average pay. Also remember exchange rate.

Between those two places I would probably put a lot of weight on the uni itself, but I presume you have looked into that and they are reasonably equal.

I'd go Edinburgh.
Cheers for that! Yeah I'm definitely leaning Edinburgh now! I just hope the pound stays around the current value and not 1:3 ratio as it was in previous years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)