University choices, dilemmas, decisions... (1 Viewer)

shimmy&shine

HSC
After reading all your uni course preference posts, I feel really lost... because I have no idea what I want to do!!! No Idea.

I know I want to go to uni, syd or nws, for that matter, but that is all.

Please tell me I'm not the only one feeling like this.
Now there's all this talk of applications, preferences and scholarships and I'm freaking out!

I might as well go live on a cloud

simplistic

nice as ice
HSC
yeh dw about it now .... just concentrate on reaching ur goal from skool theres not pnt planning ahead if u not succed now
but yeh i think the same way but i have my thoights ona science based course
but i look forward to completeninh hsc with flying colours and un til that happens i wont bother thinking about uni in depth

Riviet

HSC
N/A
shimmy&shine said:
After reading all your uni course preference posts, I feel really lost... because I have no idea what I want to do!!! No Idea.

I know I want to go to uni, syd or nws, for that matter, but that is all.

Please tell me I'm not the only one feeling like this.
Now there's all this talk of applications, preferences and scholarships and I'm freaking out!

I might as well go live on a cloud
There are alot of courses available at those uni's. Ask yourself what you're interested in. Then go look it up in the UAC guide and see what courses are available. I would recommend you attend the Usyd info day tomorrow if you want to study a course there.

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
oi come to uow and do creative writing.

i remember you mentioned that you were keen on it.

xxxx8888

HSC
when is the deadline to submit preferences anyway? i've only flipped through the UAC guide a few times. i have a fair idea of what i want to do i guess... but it'll take me ages picking out courses and putting them in order.

i was going to go to the USYD/UTS open day tomorrow but decided to go shopping at the city all day instead. when's the MAC open day? ...actually nah, can't be stuffed going to that one either. wait... i might. or not.

i'll probably seriously look through the UAC guide some time next week or the week after. many people are in a similar situation... i think.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
well if you really can't decide then you could always do arts or (if you score a bit higher) commerce.

they're generalist degrees which basically anyone could do and find reasonably interesting in one way or another. unless you're a maths or science freak. in which case do science.

Daddark

HSC
i wanna do MECHATRONICS or AERONAUTICAL (space) USYD --98-99.xx cutoff..

bsically wanna become 1st man in other galaxy n find an habitable galaxy LOL..i will get 98 if i study 24/7 lyk u guyz tho and also do i have to be freakeshy intelligenct 2 do mechatronic/aeronatucal space at USYD coz i wanna or shuld i do law

Always

HSC
I can't believe preferences are due soon. I have no idea what I want to do. I don't even know if I want to go to uni in Australia. I also have no idea what uai I'll get. I could get easily get either 90 or 60, who knows.

We have less than a week to decide, it's insane!

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Always said:
I can't believe preferences are due soon. I have no idea what I want to do. I don't even know if I want to go to uni in Australia. I also have no idea what uai I'll get. I could get easily get either 90 or 60, who knows.

We have less than a week to decide, it's insane!
errr we have until 29th September......then after that you pay late fees

HSC
less than a week?

lol that scared the shit out of me for two seconds :uhoh:

yeah we have until 29th of September, but I'll do mine straight after my trials.....

shimmy&shine

HSC
nwatts said:
oi come to uow and do creative writing.

i remember you mentioned that you were keen on it.
Yeah, I guess I'm gravitating towards arts cand writing courses. I suck at science. eewww science, lol (I'm only saying that cause I did shit it biology).

The only one that has stuck in my mind is usyd arts (media and communications)

But tha UAI is so high - 98.5, and a month ago I thought that was attainable, but not now after the trials.

Overall, I've read through the UAC guide, and there is nothing I definitely want to do unlike you guys.

Would you say it's safe to do a general artds degree at Usyd, or should I do something more specific?

Btw, I'm glad I'm not the only one not knowing what to do.

LottoX said:
So don't just stay at home tomorrow.
can't I have to study for a trial exam on Monday, which reminds me.. I have to do some study!

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Usyd has probably the worst media and comm faculty in the state.

Is there any particular reason you're looking closely at Usyd? I mean apart from the apparent prestige of going there.

It's hard to know what to do, same time last year I was extremely confused. You just need to know what you really are interested in.

shimmy&shine

HSC
Tulipa said:
Usyd has probably the worst media and comm faculty in the state.
The main reason of wanting to go to Usyd or unsw is probably because it is easy access from where I live. Plus I heard the social life is great at Usyd.

But in terms of media and comm at usyd, could you please expand why it isn't so good? It seems really popular though with a uai entry of 98.

Gees, now I'm really curious, why would you say it is the worst faculty in the state?

... now I REALLY do not know what to do...

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Okay, first off, realise that just because a course is popular does not make it good and that is exactly what the UAI cut off reflects.

Charles Sturt is probably the best faculty, but the UAI isn't as high because it isn't as popular, due to the location.

I'd go UNSW over USyd but that's just my personal opinion, friends that are currently doing arts at Usyd love the faculty because they are pretentious wanks.

It's just up to you really, if you are hell bent on going to either of them then go ahead.

nwatts

HSC
i've heard the same things about media/comm at sydney. the general consensus is not to bother.

if you want that kind of thing just go to UTS.

shimmy&shine

HSC
Well Uni of Wollongong is too far to travel.
I flicked through UAC and see UTS social inquiry interesting...
other than that, I'm still a bit stuck. Maybe I should just do a general Arts course, but then people are telling me that won't get me anywhere.
Damn people and their mouths.

Actually, Tulipa, why the hell are there so so so many people who say the hate sydney uni? They REALLY hate that place.

Anyway, I have no career goals, other than to be successful (doesn't help cause that's everyone), no career interest.

atoms, disembodied arms, and building bridges don't interest me.

shimmy&shine

HSC
No, I dont live in Hornsby, I live on the North shore, but Macq uni is close travel, but I don't know about going there.

shit - I'm getting all caught up in the Usyd is so beautiful and prestigous and the best vibe.

aarrrggh, decisions.

LottoX, what the hell is with the 'Backstreet Boys' in your sig?!! What has it got to do with your HSC subjects? Oh i get it - you want to be a backstreet boy, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)