Universities in QLD? (1 Viewer)

UGFighter

HSC
Can anyone tell me what Universities are within reasonable travelling distance from Surfers Paradise and Brisbane?

I've had a look and it seems like there's:

Griffith Uni
University of Queensland
Uni of Sunshine Coast
Uni of Southern Queensland
Queensland Uni of Technology

Also, how do I apply for these Unis? Does anyone know?

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
University of Queensland is the way to go :)
its probably the best uni in your list brandwise - its one of the top 8 uni's in australia (group of 8) and the only universitas 21 uni in queensland.
it really depends on what you want to get into though, what courses were you looking at?
you go through QTAC and apply through there, but do it NOW before the end of october or you'll have to pay over $100. its already $88 as it is because you missed the september deadline :(

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
i'd say the only ones i'd go to are Griffith (they have awesome residential colleges there), UQ (best colleges ever) and QUT (they have an ice cream vending machine!!)
i'm sure the USQ and Sunshine coast ones are good for certain degrees...
you also have to consider the UAI cutoffs - if they're high, alot of people must want to go to that university, therfore the university must be doing something right! :)
love the hasselhoff picture btw :)

UGFighter

HSC
ahh, thanks mate

I'll be looking at transferring my Commerce degree from Newcastle. I don't plan to be living on campus though, as I prolly couldn't afford it.. just looking to share somewhere for $60-$100/week.

On a bit of a tangent, you don't know much about security work up that way do you?

edit: just saw you're a girl

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
ahhhh i thought you were a uni student!
i'm the same, i'm transfering from the b.econ/arts degree to b.econ/science so i have to go through qtac as well. i can't believe i have to pay $88 bucks to transfer to a course in the same uni!
security work? as a part time job? ummm try the uq careers website. i'll track it down for you in a sec.
and if you want to share, you should also try the uq accommodation website, its pretty useful!

The Hoff

HSC
N/A
yea i woudlnt mind doing a bach of bus/law combined degree (5.5 years) up there in UQ, ive been thinking about it for a while

at the moment thouhg im living down here in sydney, doing a bachelor of business at UTS, first year, but ive deferred this second semester so i can work full time and qualify for youth allowance

so if i moved up to qld not only would i get youth allowance 4 the independent rate but i'd get the away from home rate too, which is 340 a fortnight or something

id love to live on campus, always wanted to, i love queensland i go up there twice every summer, ill be up there again in a few weeks............and the uni seems to be very respected, 49th in the world's awesome

do u no how id go about transferring from uts here in nsw to UQ up there? plus id be able to use the credit points ive already done.......id prob go 4 the transfer either semester 2 next year (so i will have done 2 semesters down here) or take off another semester to work and then transfer to start semester 1 2007, any idea on what would be better?

how much does it cost 2 live on campus

thanks heaps if ur able to answer anything

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
lol, we're all uni students on a high school forum :)

UG fighter, i couldn't find the website, sorry. but try the UQ union online one - it should have all the information on it - its: www.uqu.uq.edu.au. goodluck!

the hoff, omg, its so damn hard to get that $17000 in 18 months unless you're working part time hey? i'm trying to do that as well, but i'm at uni and i don't want to defer :(
i'd say start in semester 2, because you've already done your first semester, and some second sem courses aren't offered in first sem if you decide to start in 2007.

colleges are awesome! i think everyone should have at least a year of college. International House is awesome because no one cares if you're a first year or not, where as the other colleges are all about the "freshers". you might not have as much fun if you come in halfway through the year.

brb, cleaners are here and they want to clean my room. yay for cleaning at college!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
fees for the colleges are:
all girls
- Duchesne - $11316
- Womens - $10,488
- Grace - $7420
all boys
- Kings - $11512
- Leos - $10900
Mixed
- Cromwell - $10436
- Emmanuel - $10,747
- International House - $10856
- St Johns - $9554
- Union - $10065

its around the $10000 mark, but this probably isn't including the o-week fees, the bonds, the student club fees, etc. but its really worth it.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
yep, expensive colleges but its sooo worth it (my cousins were at UQ and QUT hence knowing)
QUT and UQ are the ones i'd go to, offering a massive range of courses each. And on the southband, UQ and QUT campuses.. they are majorly cool ^.^

The Hoff

HSC
N/A
10 thousand bucks thats heaps thats insane

can rent assistance from centrelink and stuf fhelp do u no

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
yeah, there's heaps of people i know who get centrelink at college. my boyfriend's at st johns and he worked for a year so he gets centrelink plus rent assistance. i also have a friend who gets more than $400 per fortnight from centrelink and living at International House.

bunny, where did your cousins go? :)

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
and don't forget, the 10000 also pays for food, free tutorials if you need help with your subjects, free sport, plus at emmanuel, they get their laundry done by magical fairies.

The Hoff

HSC
N/A
yea thats alrite then i spose

yea by the end of the year i will have earnt the 17k to qualify for youth allowance

thats awesome that u can get rent assistance too

so say i got about 400 a fortnight thats 800 per month

so say about 9600 a year that almost covers the entire cost............plus taking into account that you wouldnt be there 12 months at a time but its still a major help

awesome!

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
I want to go to UQ, and I want to stay on campus... and I'm not going to let the costs stop me! Its going to be hard to scrape up the money... I get youth allowance, but I'm not sure how far thats going to go. (but maybe my 1 in 11 chance at the $10,000 a year auscott scholarship that has to be won by someone at my school will pay up...?) And anyway, I figure that considering the fees cover your accommodation, food... theres not really that much else you need to spend on... its value for money... and it sounds so FUN!! I can't wait.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)