Units to combine with Media.. (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm hopefully starting a B. Media (Writing) next year (useless backstory: I'm on a gap year and have decided against my deferred B. Business Admin because the finance/statistics bits would kill me and I know I'd end up skipping lectures straight away :p )

So I am being super keen and looking at units to combine with Media. First, the obligatory 'dumb question': if the unit code starts with a 1 it is 100 level/first year, if it starts with a 2 it is 200 level/second year, right?

I have up to 21 credit points to make up in first year, can I take them from any of the Arts units? I'm mainly interested in European languages (Russian and French...can I do both? And if so is this a really bad idea in terms of my sanity?), history and linguistics so I would want to major in these somehow.

But the Macquarie website is confusing and I get the impression that I can only take units from the Division of Society, Culture, Media and Philosophy.

If anyone could clear this up it would be really appreciated! Oh and any reccommendations for units that are interesting or useful to combine with Media would be great too since I really have no idea where to start. I know choosing units is a really individual thing but just general opinions would be helpful.

Thank you! :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yes, the unit codes follow that logic, BUT that doesn't mean you can't do a 100 level unit in third year/second year, and sometimes you can even do 200 level units in first year as long as there aren't pre-requisites.

You have 3 Core (compulsory subjects) for first year media:

MAS104 and CUL100 for semester 1
MAS105 for semester 2

For a full time student, usually 3 units is the minimum, 4 units is the average. So that means you have, 1-2 electives for first semester, 3 electives for second semester.

It's not really confusing, its just most people don't understand the system, and other universities pigeon-hole you into their respective divisions. At Macquarie, you can take subjects in WHATEVER you want, as long as you satisfy the pre-requisites. I have a subject list that reads: Philosophy, Japanese, Sociology, Cultural Studies, Music, Ancient History, and Media.

Music, Languages, Politics, Sociology, Cultural Studies, Linguistics, and History seem to be the favourites amongst them.

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/units.php?edition=2006&level=ug

That basically lists all the units available, just check to make sure that a unit doesn't have any pre-requisites for first year, and you should be fine.

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?edition=2006&code=WRTG02

That's your core outline.

Hope that helps :)

HSC
oh i just have a few more questions, actually...

i'm confused about majors, how many do you take in a media degree? do you choose them in 1st year? i want to major in french so i can do honours.

and about how many contact hours per week would i have?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Your major is the part after your media degree, in this case Writing.

To do French as a major, you'd have to have an Arts degree tagged on

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)