Units of study (1 Viewer)

thenothing

no member
HSC
I was looking at the enrolment process for USYD and it tells you to bring along the 'units of study' you want to do.

Where do I find these? I've got the course handbook for science and it's 468 pages long, and I can't find what units of study are avaliable for the first year of study. And I'm doing Arts as well, but I don't know if you do any arts subjects in your first year (says something like science is in the first three years then you continue for two years to finish your arts degree).

Am I looking in the wrong place? Please tell me I am :/

tennille

HSC
There is an online arts handbook. This provides you with all the units of study available in the faculty of arts.

An example of a first year unit is ENGL1001. First year units are denoted as a "1000" course. The first digit is always a 1.

Are you doing a science/art double degree?

Last edited:

tennille

HSC
You will need to look at the science handbook then. This should explain to you the requirements and structure of your degree. So during each semester, you will need to complete 2 maths subjects, 2 science subjects, and 1 art subjects. So looks at both the science and arts handbooks (science units of study are located here) to choose your subjects.

thenothing

no member
HSC
Okay, so I just pick 6 units of study, two from maths, two from science and two from arts, that start with 1. Right?

Thanks heaps for all the help :D

edit: Oh, in the column down the bottom of the page that has the structure of my degree, it has two maths, two science and one arts, if I'm reading it correctly :/

Last edited:

tennille

HSC
Maths units in first year are worth 3 credit points each. So in first (and second) semester you'll need to do two maths subjects. The rest of your subjects are worth 6 credit points. You will need to do two science subjects and 1 arts subject in first semester. This is also the case for second semester. So, the total amount of credit points you should be doing each semester (assuming you will be a full-time student) is 24 credit points. I hope that clears things up. You will need to have an idea what you will major in, though.

First semester:

MATH1XXX (3cp), MATH1XXX (3 cp), science elective (6cp), science elective (6cp), arts elective (6cp)

Second semester:

MATH1XXX (3cp), MATH1XXX (3 cp), science elective (6cp), science elective (6cp), arts elective (6cp)

Last edited:

thenothing

no member
HSC
I'd like to major in Biology for Science and History for Arts.

So, there are multiple maths subjects? What would be the easiest? I'm bad at maths.

tennille

HSC
The easiest maths subjects you can do (assuming you don't want to do maths in later years) is life science maths. The requirement for these is HSC mathematics. Below are the "easiest" maths units for first year which are provided in the faculty of science handbook.

Semester 1

MATH1011 Life Sciences Calculus

Credit points: 3 Session: Semester 1,Summer Main Classes: Two 1 hour lectures and one 1 hour tutorial per week. Prohibitions: MATH1111, MATH1001, MATH1901, MATH1906 Assumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics Assessment: One 1.5 hour examination, assignments and quizzes.

This unit is designed to provide calculus for students of the life sciences who do not intend to undertake higher year mathematics and statistics. It includes the fitting of data to various functions, introduces finite difference methods, and it demonstrates the use of calculus in optimisation problems. It extends differential calculus to functions of two variables and develops integral calculus, including the definite integral and multiple integrals.

MATH1015 Life Science Statistics

Credit points: 3 Session: Semester 1 Classes: Two 1 hour lectures and one 1 hour tutorial per week. Prohibitions: MATH1005, MATH1905, STAT1021, STAT1022, ECMT Junior units of study. Assumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics Assessment: One 1.5 hour examination, assignments and quizzes.

MATH1015 is designed to provide a thorough preparation in statistics for students of the Life Sciences.It offers a comprehensive introduction to data analysis, probability and sampling, inference including t-tests, confidence intervals and chi-squared goodness of fit tests. There are comprehensive details of this unit of study in the Junior Mathematics Handbook distributed at the time of enrolment.

Semester 2

MATH1013 Differential and Difference Equations

Credit points: 3 Session: Semester 2 Classes: Two 1 hour lectures and one 1 hour tutorial per week. Prohibitions: MATH1003, MATH1903, MATH1907 Assumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics or MATH1111 Assessment: One 1.5 hour examination, assignments and quizzes.

MATH1013 is designed to provide the theory of difference and differential equations for students of the life sciences who do not intend to undertake higher year mathematics and statistics. This unit of study looks at the solution of equations by bisection and iteration, first and second order difference equations where chaos is met, and examples of modelling using simple first and second order differential equations.

MATH1014 Introduction to Linear Algebra

Credit points: 3 Session: Semester 2,Summer Main Classes: Two 1 hour lectures and one 1 hour tutorial per week. Prohibitions: MATH1012, MATH1002, MATH1902 Assumed knowledge: HSC Mathematics or MATH1111 Assessment: One 1.5 hour exam, assignments, quizzes

This unit is an introduction to Linear Algebra. Topics covered include vectors, systems of linear equations, matrices, eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Applications in life and technological sciences are emphasised.

celery

HSC
I got into B Arts at sydney...Can i chose THREE Part A units of study (Asian, Linguistics & Japanese)?

And i do not understand the junior and senior major unit and how to chose the other components of the junior&senior unit choice to make up 144 credit points....

Seryn

Ayreonaut
HSC
thenothing said:
B Science/B Arts
I'm just about to start my second year of this degree. This is likely to just confuse you more, but you can basically do it in order you like. As in you can do half Science/half arts for all 5 years, or focus on one only (Arts OR Science) for the first couple of years. Personally, I did 3 arts units (of 6 credit poitns each) and 2 maths units (of 3 credit points each) last year. This year im doing much the same, but with 1 unit of chemistry instead of the 2 of maths. If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me, I probably havn't made things terribly clear here lol

Oh, and for mathematics, I did Life Sciences (the ones reccomened to you above). If you really don't like maths and are only studying it for the absolute minimum (12 credit points I beleive) then thats the way to go:)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)