Units for Yr 12: 13 or 11? 12 or 10? (1 Viewer)

raven2000

HSC
my subjects are IPT, economics, legal, business, Maths Ext, English Standard.
Dunno what to do zzz
should i drop one? or should i keep 13 units.. advice would be helpful

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Re: 13 units or 11?

Hm do you think you need to many spare units? How are you going atm? If you think you are able to keep consistent marks throughout 11 units well then you would have time to concentrate on those subjects, if not, 13 units would be better suited to you.

I'm also in the same situation but feel that 13 is way too much for me so shall be dropping one next year. I'm just unsure on what.

Le3sah

HSC

How are you going in your subjects? Is there one in particular that you're not doing so well in?

Kujah

HSC
N/A

How are you coping at the moment, and how well are you performing in each of your subjects? This will give you a clear indication of whether or not you want to do 13 or 11 units. Why not start out with 13 units first, and if you find the workload and effort too demanding, drop down to 11 units.

undalay

HSC

I would definately do 11. 13... thats 30% more then you need to do. Kujah's idea to start at 13 is a good one, however i feel that you should definately drop down to 11 even if you can handle 13 units.

HSC

take 13 into the hsc, and drop something only when you are absolutely sure you want to drop that.

hayley.

HSC

Stick with thirteen until half yearlies and then drop the one that you like the least/are doing worst in. My friend is still on 13 units 2 months before HSC purely because she likes all of her subjects

rini175

HSC

I am the same...I have 13 units and it is a little more stressful but i like all of my subjects way too much to drop any of them. i wouldn't be able to chose which one to drop!

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

You either do 13 or 10 units. I am taking the reasoin u are taking 13 units is you want the safety net right? Since u are taking extension maths, you are very confident about your maths ability. Therefore ext1 is not going to be counted as your worse subject. If you screwed up a 2U course while u do 11 units half of what ever that 2U course is going to be counted towards ur UAI.If you take 13 units, the workload is abit hectic but never the less from what you are taking its not going to be too bad.

el gwapo

HSC

I was pretty confident that I'd be doing relatively well in my 10 units (English adv, business, modern, french, maths), but I know a lot of people who have a "safety net" or at least don't drop until the half yearly. Fortunately none of your subjects have a major project so that's somewhat handy.

If you're determined to drop something, start thinking about itl; but you must also consider the consequences i.e. you're gonna need to step up in all your subjects as there is no "safety net"

bento

HSC

I do 11 units and I much prefer it. At my school, everyone who was doing 13 or 14 units dropped them after year 11. One reason is that you really need to focus and so having extra subjects becomes cumbersome. Another really big thing to consider is that everyone in every class that you have will become a lot better and a lot more competitive in year 12 so itll be harder to maintain a good ranking in every class. Trust me. I don't even go to a great school but everyone tries so much harder that its harder to beat them in every class.

I definitely recommend 11. That way you'll try harder in those subjects aswell because you know they count. Lets face it, theres no way you'll 'stuff up' in a subject if its going to count. You're not stupid. You'll also get more free periods, or study periods, whatever your school calls them, which you can use to work on everything more.

bento

HSC
Re: How was your school day?

Machie Man said:
k, i need opinions.

year 12: 10 units or 12?

JUSTIFY. bonus points if yr reply is a critically-refined personal response and yr thesis is maintained.
decide for yourself. you're the only person who can tell how well you'll be able to cope with either 10 or 12 units. its not like it makes that much of a difference between 10 and 12....11 and 13 is different because 13 is a fair bit more than you actually need.

what are your subjects anyway? it all depends on your rank in those subjects, how much you like them, which classes have the best teachers and smartest class mates...no one on here can possibly know these answers. if your doing lots of hard subjects then start with 12 and drop one later on if you need. if your doing easier subjects and doing well in all, then do 12 anyway in case one scales better or worse than you expect. If youre crap in all of them, then well...lol it doesn't matter.

oh and my thesis is: I had to come to realise all of the above for myself, so you should aswell lol.

Machie Man

in yr erotic fantasies, y hello thur big boii
HSC
N/A

bento said:
decide for yourself. you're the only person who can tell how well you'll be able to cope with either 10 or 12 units. its not like it makes that much of a difference between 10 and 12....11 and 13 is different because 13 is a fair bit more than you actually need.

what are your subjects anyway? it all depends on your rank in those subjects, how much you like them, which classes have the best teachers and smartest class mates...no one on here can possibly know these answers. if your doing lots of hard subjects then start with 12 and drop one later on if you need. if your doing easier subjects and doing well in all, then do 12 anyway in case one scales better or worse than you expect. If youre crap in all of them, then well...lol it doesn't matter.

oh and my thesis is: I had to come to realise all of the above for myself, so you should aswell lol.
i can't decide for myself. that's why i'm on an internet forum asking for advice from strangers i've never met.

Anyway, my rankings and marks really don't matter. (especially since I'm at a selective school, so of course they're going to be substantially lower than what they'd be if I was attending a comprehensive school.) I'm asking what everyone's opinion is on the infamous 10-vs-12-units debate. both have advantages and disadvantages, strengths and weaknesses. which side are you on? :santa:

B

brycycle

im gonna go to 10 units, ppl have told me taht u might slack off if u do 10 but atm i just want a break....

polly12

HSC
I think you need to establish wheather or not the extra time you have from doing 10 or 11 opposed to 12 or 13 will enable you to improve all your units eliminating the need for a saftey, basically it has alot to do with how effectivley you can manage the free time that having 2 less units gives you.

Personally i think you should start with the 12 and then discard your weakest if you can't cope with the workload.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I'm dropping Modern, so I'll have 10 units. Unless I pick up Extension 2 something.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
I'm dropping Modern, so I'll have 10 units. Unless I pick up Extension 2 something.
That isn't safe. I will end up with either 13 Units or 15 Units. I will have to drop Chemistry to have 13 Units though.

I wouldn't mind 15 Units if I loved all my subjects but...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)