Union Board Elections 2007 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazerxl

HSC
Re: The Official Union Board Elections 2007 Thread

withoutaface said:
It's not just for 5 days during O-Week, it's on for about 3-4 weeks. Running student radio all year would be, imo, impractical and a waste of resources for the following reasons:
a) the quality of presenters is generally lacking (I should know, even I was on there at one point last year :p)
b) reception is dodgy just about everywhere
c) nobody listens to it

The fact that the policies listed are somewhat different doesn't matter, it's the fact that NLS continually run under policies they have no real intention of implementing. This is in contrast to Mark Chan (former Union VP) who ran under the premise of getting a proper membership card to access discounts (which has been implemented), and Simon Fontana (current board director) who ran under cutting the fee (which has now fallen from $270 to $99) and bringing private food outlets to Wentworth (for those of you playing at home, Wentworth was a very different and overall more depressing place back in 2005 with a couple of Union owned outlets and that was it).

I think that it's a pertinent issue, and I'd suggest that Ruchir does too given that he published his blog on AA before I did expressing his support for it. In other words nobody should vote purely based on AA, just as nobody should vote based on any one policy, but it's still an issue and one that is important to make a judgement on.
hahaha this is funny. 99 dollars happened because of VSU not because of any specific board member. i know the president introduced the plan with services manager(i was there at a forum last year where it was mentioned).

and its good u say that radio is there, so it has been implemented by rose from last year. i also remember markets at verge arts festival last year and i read the report in the bull last year about direct election of president by tom which was beaten at agm - just read your website where you saidthat they stacked some agm. i don't know if it would be true because they could have done that even last year. and there are board members from everywhere.

i don't know but i find it so easy to counter your arguments. try and be more convincing justin. not enough reception and no one listens is so weird because i know how succesful this idea in american colleges such as boston(my friend rjed and she loved it so much) and i'm sure they'd get a lot of money by advertising like they do from bull. and anyways, thats not his only policy.

and yeah, need more better policies from you - not 5 dollar meals which you say is at lansdowne but rips u off because u have to buy 4 dollar drinks with the meal.. still a ripoff.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

amazerxl said:
hahaha this is funny. 99 dollars happened because of VSU not because of any specific board member.
Which group of students has kept VSU on the agenda for 30 years and continually lobbied parliament for its introduction? Which party proposed the bill, and had it put through the lower house?
Now tell me, which party is Mark Vice President of?
i know the president introduced the plan with services manager(i was there at a forum last year where it was mentioned).
Last year? The Union's had a card since 2005, and that was what Mark Chan ran on. It was tweaked slightly by others but the original idea was Mark's.
and its good u say that radio is there, so it has been implemented by rose from last year.
It was there in the exact same form before and after Rose's election.
i also remember markets at verge arts festival last year and i read the report in the bull last year about direct election of president by tom which was beaten at agm - just read your website where you saidthat they stacked some agm. i don't know if it would be true because they could have done that even last year. and there are board members from everywhere.
NLS don't care as much about direct election as they cared about AA. The AA meeting had more NOLS members than people from anywhere else, I think I'd remember, given I was there.
i don't know but i find it so easy to counter your arguments. try and be more convincing justin. not enough reception and no one listens is so weird because i know how succesful this idea in american colleges such as boston(my friend rjed and she loved it so much)
Do some research. Find the thread on here from o-week last year where everyone from all diferent spots around Sydney were trying to listen in and noone got reception. The culture in America is a lot different and I'd think that what's happened in the last few days would've highlighted that.
and i'm sure they'd get a lot of money by advertising like they do from bull.
The Bull this week had one quarter page ad. By my reckoning of the advertising price list this means they've made about $300.
and yeah, need more better policies from you - not 5 dollar meals which you say is at lansdowne but rips u off because u have to buy 4 dollar drinks with the meal.. still a ripoff.
Getting steak and a beer for less than $9 is a solid deal, and I think most people on here would agree.

EDIT: Please refer to Stas' post for radio.

amazerxl

HSC

withoutaface said:
Which group of students has kept VSU on the agenda for 30 years and continually lobbied parliament for its introduction? Which party proposed the bill, and had it put through the lower house?
Now tell me, which party is Mark Vice President of?

hahaha, again, i just said it was because of vsu, not if i liked it or not.

Last year? The Union's had a card since 2005, and that was what Mark Chan ran on. It was tweaked slightly by others but the original idea was Mark's.
again, i didn't say when access card was introduced, i just spoke about the fees and the plan to make it cheaper.

It was there in the exact same form before and after Rose's election.

NLS don't care as much about direct election as they cared about AA. The AA meeting had more NOLS members than people from anywhere else, I think I'd remember, given I was there.
its easy to say that. don't u think it would work better for them if there was direct election becayse nols has been good at it with src for so long. i wonder why would they care less about it. and u should introduce this in agm if u care so much, have a discussion and see what others say. why don't u get everyone who u think cares get there.. i am sure its prossible for u.

Do some research. Find the thread on here from o-week last year where everyone from all diferent spots around Sydney were trying to listen in and noone got reception. The culture in America is a lot different and I'd think that what's happened in the last few days would've highlighted that.
like i said its only one policy and i am sure its possible. someone's got to do some work and look it up. if he's doing it, why don't u encourage his effort? and why don't u talk about ur policies rather thant criticise him all the time?

The Bull this week had one quarter page ad. By my reckoning of the advertising price list this means they've made about $300.
it was an example, bull's not distributed enough but the radio can be heard all over could go to other places. again, just a comparison of revenue sources and one of the policies.

Getting steak and a beer for less than $9 is a solid deal, and I think most people on here would agree.
and you can get that at uni anyways - a drink and a decent meal for 9 bucks or less with an access card. so whats different?

simon, sell urself, not criticise others.. especially when they are trying to get some work done and have good credentials for it. i would like it more if u stop arguing on what i have to say and talk about what ur policies are.

haha, again, u are so baseless with everything. more reasons why i wouldn't vote for u..

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

amazerxl said:
hahaha, again, i just said it was because of vsu, not if i liked it or not.
You implied that myself and my friends had nothing to do with the fee being cut, when Simon, Mark and myself were all involved in numerous counter rallies to the anti-VSU ones organised with our student funds.
again, i didn't say when access card was introduced, i just spoke about the fees and the plan to make it cheaper.
You implied that because the thing called the "ACCESS card" was introduced by the president last year, that the idea of a membership card wasn't created by someone else.
its easy to say that. don't u think it would work better for them if there was direct election becayse nols has been good at it with src for so long. i wonder why would they care less about it.
It's a matter that's ideologically neutral to the vast array of feminazist hacks.
and u should introduce this in agm if u care so much, have a discussion and see what others say. why don't u get everyone who u think cares get there.. i am sure its prossible for u.
I'm planning to put an AA motion up at this year's AGM, it's clear that the whole thing is a farce and people both right and left agree with that. I don't know whether it'll be "prossible" to get it passed though.
like i said its only one policy and i am sure its possible. someone's got to do some work and look it up. if he's doing it, why don't u encourage his effort?
Because I'm good mates with Stas, who has had a heavy involvement with these things and tends to know what's what. The student radio policy is not feasible.
and why don't u talk about ur policies rather thant criticise him all the time?
I just made a substantial posts with my policies on my blog. You've yet to comment on them.
it was an example, bull's not distributed enough but the radio can be heard all over could go to other places. again, just a comparison of revenue sources and one of the policies.
The bull has a distribution 1000x better than student radio has during O Week.
and you can get that at uni anyways - a drink and a decent meal for 9 bucks or less with an access card. so whats different?
Where can I get a beer and something as substantial as a steak on campus for $8.80?
simon, sell urself, not criticise others.. especially when they are trying to get some work done and have good credentials for it. i would like it more if u stop arguing on what i have to say and talk about what ur policies are.
I have talked about what my policies are.
haha, again, u are so baseless with everything. more reasons why i wouldn't vote for u..
You say I'm baseless without providing any basis for such an accusation. I think we're done here.

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

amazerxl is clearly a member of Ruchirs team.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
I realise this.

amazerxl

HSC

i would like to be, but to disappoint you, i'm not. it may sound like i am because i like the guy and the way justin's been arguing is disappointing me. anyways, i'll let the argument be.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

Couple of questions from a Usyd elections newbie:
-How does the balloting and counting work? (Preferential, first-past-the-post, etc. I'm an elections nerd, I need to know these things.)
-Does having an Access card automatically register you as a USU member and hence an eligible voter or do you have to buggerise around filling out more forms?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

1. It's proportional representation preferential, like the senate but without tickets.
2. Yes, it should.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Have a public debate...unless you've already planned one.

:(

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

The Politics Society will hold one, I believe. I'll be in attendance.

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC

Triangulum said:
Does having an Access card automatically register you as a USU member and hence an eligible voter or do you have to buggerise around filling out more forms?
You're fine, unless when you signed up for your Access card you specifically ticked the box that said 'I don't want to be a Union member'.

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
No, as much as I dislike NOLS, their campaigners are normally far better informed than amazerxl..

Ruchir

HSC

I feel like I've been missing all the fun here!!!

Thanks a lot amazerxl for standing up for me. Of course you can help me out. I'll send you a message soon :). I really really appreciate it.

Otherwise, everyone else, I don't visit this site as often, and I can of course mention a lot of arguments, but thats not what I want my campaign to focus on. But I welcome people to ask me questions on my plans and ideas and msg me or email me for a quicker response. I would love to answer any queries anyone has.

Nebuchanazzer, I don't mind talking with you at Holme or talking with anyone else for that matter. And there will be a speak out on the 3rd of May(most likely) at Manning where all candidates will speak. It would be great if all of you could make it there.

Thats all for now :) .

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Captain Gh3y said:
With all this talk of steak we can only come to one conclusion:

JUSTIN SIMON HATES VEGANS
But my $5 menu has vegetarian/vegan options :(

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

greeninsanity said:
No, as much as I dislike NOLS, their campaigners are normally far better informed than amazerxl..
Maybe a Trot, then? :p

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

What's with the double posting I frequently observe from you and that Edgeworth guy?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

probably. no self respecting left-winger would have indulged in such a simple pun, within the title.

lozer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)