uni v apprenticeship (1 Viewer)

alax dillon

HSC
Full rate YA is $377 a fortnight, full rate RA is $113.40 a fortnight. (Assuming you're single without children, of course.)

If you notify Centrelink of your intention to study they will continue you on your present rate of YA between end of school and start of uni. One thing you don't want to do is forget to notify them as at least three people in my class did, then they either cancel your payment or switch you to Jobseekers and it becomes rather more difficult to sort out.
so when the hsc finishes, and i do intend to go to uni;
- call centrelink and tell them im going to uni
- ask centrelink for RA

how much are you allowed to earn with your personal employment employment (ie im currently working, and trying to gain full rate YA atm) until they start to reduce the full rate of your fortnightly youth allowance?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
so when the hsc finishes, and i do intend to go to uni;
- call centrelink and tell them im going to uni
- ask centrelink for RA
Well, you do the first as soon as you've decided on uni (or TAFE, for that matter), and you do the second as soon as you have accomodation sorted out (whether it's on-campus or whether it's private).

how much are you allowed to earn with your personal employment employment (ie im currently working, and trying to gain full rate YA atm) until they start to reduce the full rate of your fortnightly youth allowance?
IIRC, $236 per fortnight, but then there's a whole load of rules about Income Bank and so on, so you'd want to ask Centrelink about your exact circumstances.

alax dillon

HSC
Well, you do the first as soon as you've decided on uni (or TAFE, for that matter), and you do the second as soon as you have accomodation sorted out (whether it's on-campus or whether it's private).

IIRC, $236 per fortnight, but then there's a whole load of rules about Income Bank and so on, so you'd want to ask Centrelink about your exact circumstances.

and if i decide to go into an apprenticeship, but it takes me a while to gain employment, will i still have youth allowance, even though i am looking for full time employment?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
whats the difference between full rate of youth allowance and jobseekers payment? as in the cost difference?
It's not a rate difference, it's just that if you're a student on YA you only have to report changes in your study, whereas if you're a jobseeker on YA you have to show that you're looking for work. The Centrelink website explains it all.

alax dillon

HSC
It's not a rate difference, it's just that if you're a student on YA you only have to report changes in your study, whereas if you're a jobseeker on YA you have to show that you're looking for work. The Centrelink website explains it all.
youre a legend thanks so much.

twistedrebel

HSC
canberra is shit easy to get job, walk down a street and people beg you to work for them

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
What you could do-

1. Apply to uni
2. Defer uni
3. Take a year off, earn some money
4. After the year, decide whether you want to go on to uni or do an apprenticeship

That way, you earn some money and also have more time to decide what you want to do.

Jmagnusson

HSC
I quit my apprenticeship after almost 3 years, I hated it towards the end and quitting was the best thing i have done. Going back to uni in 2011. So don't be afraid of trying the apprenticeship, if you don't like it you can quit you don't owe the company your life, it's only a job and you can always come back to uni

alax dillon

HSC
canberra is shit easy to get job, walk down a street and people beg you to work for them
is that subjective, or is it really like that in canberra?

What you could do-

1. Apply to uni
2. Defer uni
3. Take a year off, earn some money
4. After the year, decide whether you want to go on to uni or do an apprenticeship

That way, you earn some money and also have more time to decide what you want to do.
this is good advice.

i didnt realise that you could defer uni. does that mean if i get accepted i can say "yeah nah mate, ill come to uni next year cause i wanna make some dough"?

I quit my apprenticeship after almost 3 years, I hated it towards the end and quitting was the best thing i have done. Going back to uni in 2011. So don't be afraid of trying the apprenticeship, if you don't like it you can quit you don't owe the company your life, it's only a job and you can always come back to uni
most people that i know are trying to get me out of hospitality as soon as possible (not sure if i mentioned this or not in previous posts, sorry if i have),; whereas me boss says he'll hook me up with some trials and stuff. for the last couple years ive been pretty keen on hospitality, particular since me current chef has started working with us. like being able to see what he can do and what he's capable, like i want to be able to do what he does.

would you go back to it do you reckon? isnt it difficult to go into a different occupation/trade after being in hospitality? people keep telling me that if i want to go into hospitality then its kind of like a life deal, because the skills you gain in the kitchen arent really applicable to other careers/jobs.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yep. You apply to UAC this year, and if you defer then your place in that course is reserved for you to start in 2012.

It means that uni is always there as a backup.

alax dillon

HSC
Yep. You apply to UAC this year, and if you defer then your place in that course is reserved for you to start in 2012.

It means that uni is always there as a backup.
so i should apply for uni regardless of whether or not thats what i choose to do? that would probably be the wisest thing to do right?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah I would say so.

You don't have to go to uni, if you decide during the year that it's not what you want to do. But the option will be there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)