Uni rankings in AUS (1 Viewer)

rox88

HSC
i was bored and so i was searching up the top 200 uni's in the world. Obviously HArvard would be ranked #1. xD

i was actually surprised that the best ranked uni in AUS was ANU. >> WTF!!!
that was a total surprise to me. i thought it would of been unsw or umelb but NO they were ranked in the 20ish and 40ish.

prestige uni (eg usyd) VS an ordinary uni (eg uws) >> what really is the difference besides location and teachers, if u do the exact same degree? Do u get a better chance of a job or higher salary?

thx :) :)

hellomike

HSC
Well obviously you do in some cases. Rather than looking at a university, most people choose which university in terms of what that place can give the most of their degree. "Pretigious" universities like USYD or UNSW or more favourable or more chosen because some of their programmes like Medical Science have been well established for a long time (USYD is the oldest) so that's why most students choose these. On the contrary, the rankings do not mean squat to me. Some universities have better programmes because they specalise in that unlike another who may not have that course. At the end, it's one thing if the university can provide you with the skills/education you need but the environment which makes you comfortable to make you got there 2/3/4 days a week is another.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
well ranks are research.. and post grad and publishing..

and ANU is the prime PhD/ funding uni for all sciences except biomed UMelb is the winner in biomed =\.. so then they will do better for the rankings

so well wat does this mean for the undergraduate?.. u might get to spot a researcher or 2....
elite researchers might be so far up that they find it difficult to simplify things..and make them interesting..

also many journals.. are science-related higher research.. and not vocational or commerce or arts or law ones.. so it would mean crap to u if thats wat u want to do those things..

so when u do the calculation if ure doing arts it means squat..

what can u do?... make a decision.. do not be afraid to 'waste' 1 or 2 semesters.. and mabbe try them out.. find out who goes where.. and sit in their lectures.. and see what they have.. it will either reinforce ure decision or at least make sure u make an informed one... ure the one living this decision

i found the more research they do.. the less teaching they do too.. so its not easy to objectively gauge how ure undergrad yrs will be..

look at the course.. does it focus on practical or theoretical?.. cos that might mean the diff between a crap 1st year out.. and a fun one..

Legolas

HSC
Rankings will vary depending on the criteria used.

Remember that when looking at any set of rankings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)