Uni Question (1 Viewer)

fiSHtITS

Cynical Member
HSC
I want to go to UTS for software engineering and when I checked I think the 2008 pass was an 80 uai or close too. Say it was the same in 2009 and I got a UAI of 83. Does that mean I apply and I get in? I understand there would be some sort of interview but can you really fail it? I don't have any knowledge about acceptance to university or university for that matter. Can someone explain to me what the method of applying and getting into uni is about. If i get the required uai are there any other contributing factors?

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
i think sometime soon or in a couple of months you'll apply for the uni and courses that you want. and then after you get your UAI. i don't think for software eng. in UTS is 80 right away. they'll keep lowering it until the course is full. so it'll prob be 83 or something. anyway..if u get the req uai or higher then there should be no problem unless all the other people who applied to the same course got a higher uai than u.

people who get high uai's will get accepted first.

jonaxiang

HSC
The UAI is not the only contributing factor for UTS Degrees as they have the bonus points scheme so if you do the relevant subjects and do well in them you will get extra points. In your case, English,IPT and software would help you get points in case you are below the cutoff. However looking from your sig, don't you need ext 1 maths to do any engineering degree? You might have to undertake a bridging course of some sort.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
I have a friend who got a UAI of 99.85, she applied for some sort of course in medicine and was rejected, solely because she failed the interview?
=|

fiSHtITS

Cynical Member
HSC
jonaxiang said:
The UAI is not the only contributing factor for UTS Degrees as they have the bonus points scheme so if you do the relevant subjects and do well in them you will get extra points. In your case, English,IPT and software would help you get points in case you are below the cutoff. However looking from your sig, don't you need ext 1 maths to do any engineering degree? You might have to undertake a bridging course of some sort.
As I said i've got no knowledge of what is needed for university, the open day will help in August. How does one go about doing a bridging course?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Hollieee said:
I have a friend who got a UAI of 99.85, she applied for some sort of course in medicine and was rejected, solely because she failed the interview?
=|
Yes, and?

There's a big reason why they do that, because Medicine involves lives. Theres a fineline between people wanting to do medicine for the money/other factors and people wanting to do it to help people.

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
Yeah ive heard of a few people who got the mark for medicine but failed the interview but they were all personality vacuums.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
If u can do interviews and stuff and u dont think u'll get the uai needed, then do the interview, and try not to screw it up lol. I got uai of 72.?? and i got into mechatronic engineering at unsw, cutoff is 88, i did some interview and got a couple of points for access scheme (30% hearing loss in left ear FTW!), but still, 16 points below and i made it in.
So the main thing is, if u wanna do some subject and u dont reckon u'll get the points, put it in anyway.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Technique for interview? I dunno lol, my dad's an engineer so he told me stuff about engineering and what i should say...
But the main thing is, just put wat u want in first pref. I wanted to do engineering at unsw, but i knew i'd never get 88, my parents just said put it there anyway, and after i got my uai i got calls from uow tellin me that they'd accept me for engineering or even engo/science double even tho i was 2 pts below cutoff (i got 3 pts for access and 3 pts cuz im in shire, so 6 extra points for uow lol!), so i thought 'sweet i got into uni', but when offers came out and i found out i got into unsw i thought wtf?!?! It was completely unexpected lol!
So yeah, just put wat u really wanna do as ur first pref, it does sound weird, all teachers say that and it just sounds weird and stupid 'if u wanna do then put it in', but it apparantly works!
so DO IT!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)