Uni or Travel? (1 Viewer)

Mr_Shrimp

HSC
howdy ho UOWers.
im hoping to do a double degree at UOW with Creative Arts(writing) and the Arts. but i also want to travel. Trouble is the creative arts courses don't allow deferalls so i have a dilly of a pickle of a jam.

so, give your opinion..

do you think i should:

a) Go and travel after the HSC and then apply for uni as a recent school leaver
or
b) do the uni deal for 4 and a half years then go and do europe

i have good results in pretty much all my subjects (chem not included but i'm dropping that) and my writing is pretty good i believe (and i'm sure it would benefit from a year off as well) so it looks like i will get a decent UAI and i believe i would get into the creative writing course if i applied straight after HSC..

So the question really is should i take a year off like i want and risk having a harder time getting in the course or wait another 4 and a half years before travelling..

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
I'm already at uni and I'm planning on doing the big travel thing at the end of it all.

But it's up to you. Apparently people who take time off before going to uni get better marks because they're refreshed and eager to learn again or whatever.

Ninga

HSC
And then some people drop out because they've found a direction in their life which doesn't involve or need Uni. And others just struggle to get back into the art of learning after an extended period of time. But everyones different.

Go with what you think is best. If you know this is what you want to do with all your heart and that you can take a year off and come back wanting to start uni then go for it. If you think you will struggle with motivation or whatever, or getting in, then go to uni now. Otherwise can't you just do your creative arts degree subjects first over 3 years, get that, then defer your arts degree for a year and travel then? Theres always a compromise. Good luck with whatever you decide though.

ziggyboy

HSC
Mr_Shrimp said:
So the question really is should i take a year off like i want and risk having a harder time getting in the course or wait another 4 and a half years before travelling..
Can't you study for 2 semesters, go to europe, then do 2nd year when you return?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
ziggyboy said:
Can't you study for 2 semesters, go to europe, then do 2nd year when you return?
I don't know if Creative arts allows leaves without extreme cause. That'd have to be checked up.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I'd take your time off now, because if you aren't allow to defer mid-degree, then you're stuck for the duration before you can travel. And that year off is well worth it as it gives you that extra bit of time to work out what you want to do if you're still not absolutely sure about doing creative writing.

Plus it's not that hard to get into uni if you take a year off then apply.

NCL

HSC
You can travel while studying. I went to Thailand at the start of the year (recommend it by the way) and am going to Vietnam, Singapore and Indo at the end of this year. Three/four months off is plenty of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)