uni offer acceptance and rejection? (1 Viewer)

jojosiwa123

HSC
hey guys,
I was just wondering, can we accept every offer we get? This is what my careers advisor has told me (and later we can reject them or something) but I'm still really confused... does this apply to every offer or only early entry...?
also a side question, if I want to do medicine but my ucat is too low, would I still be able to keep retaking the UCAT every year WHILE doing another degree, or would I by default have to do the GAMSAT if I start another degree...
thanks!

quickoats

HSC
You can accept every single offer you get but try not to enrol in all of them.

There are pathways into undergrad med (ik people who transferred into WSU or Newcastle after first/second year) but generally these are quite limited. No harm in applying but usually there are few spots available if you’re not fresh out of year 12 (from memory the UNSW lateral transfer path has like 10)

c8

HSC
hey guys,
I was just wondering, can we accept every offer we get? This is what my careers advisor has told me (and later we can reject them or something) but I'm still really confused... does this apply to every offer or only early entry...?
also a side question, if I want to do medicine but my ucat is too low, would I still be able to keep retaking the UCAT every year WHILE doing another degree, or would I by default have to do the GAMSAT if I start another degree...
thanks!
Technically it's not really transferring to a uni from your current degree, rather you are applying as an applicant who has started university (you'd be called a non-standard). Yes for the undergrad unis you will need to keep retaking the UCAT until you graduate from your degree alongside maintaining around a 6.5 GPA, and if you still don't get in you'd take the GAMSAT for post grad entry which I imagine would also require a competitive GPA plus interview. Applying as a non-standard you have less unis to chose from but it's still very common for people to reapply after year 12. For most universities you'd also be in the same pool as year 12s (ie most unis don't have a quota for year 12s and non-standards) I think, so not really much disadvantage to reapplying other than the limited universities to apply for.

ElleEmDee

HSC
N/A
You can sit the UCAT every year and keep applying to WSU and also I think Newcastle. Lots of current WSU med students who have done partial degrees before gaining entry.

jojosiwa123

HSC
You can sit the UCAT every year and keep applying to WSU and also I think Newcastle. Lots of current WSU med students who have done partial degrees before gaining entry.
So would my GPA also counted in the process (for WSU and Newcastle)?

jojosiwa123

HSC
Technically it's not really transferring to a uni from your current degree, rather you are applying as an applicant who has started university (you'd be called a non-standard). Yes for the undergrad unis you will need to keep retaking the UCAT until you graduate from your degree alongside maintaining around a 6.5 GPA, and if you still don't get in you'd take the GAMSAT for post grad entry which I imagine would also require a competitive GPA plus interview. Applying as a non-standard you have less unis to chose from but it's still very common for people to reapply after year 12. For most universities you'd also be in the same pool as year 12s (ie most unis don't have a quota for year 12s and non-standards) I think, so not really much disadvantage to reapplying other than the limited universities to apply for.
ok thank you!! would I still be a non-standard student if I'm not straight out of HS but have taken a gap year??

quickoats

HSC
ok thank you!! would I still be a non-standard student if I'm not straight out of HS but have taken a gap year??
You should be classified as a year 12 leaver if you don't start any uni/tafe degree. However, it's probably not the time to take a gap year as you can't achieve much with the current global situation. If an interviewer asks why/what you achieved, "studied to repeat the UCAT" isn't the best thing to say. Sadly there's no travel and jobs are scarce so you can't upsell yourself with volunteering and shadowing to affirm your interest in medicine. Might as well get a taste of study and 1 year closer to GAMSAT eligibility

jojosiwa123

HSC
You should be classified as a year 12 leaver if you don't start any uni/tafe degree. However, it's probably not the time to take a gap year as you can't achieve much with the current global situation. If an interviewer asks why/what you achieved, "studied to repeat the UCAT" isn't the best thing to say. Sadly there's no travel and jobs are scarce so you can't upsell yourself with volunteering and shadowing to affirm your interest in medicine. Might as well get a taste of study and 1 year closer to GAMSAT eligibility
you're right!!! thank u for your help!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)