• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Uni Marks? (1 Viewer)

MrA

Are there particular percentages in each course which specify how many ppl (%) get passes, credits, dis, etc?

or how does it work?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The Awards are issued based on the amount of marks you receive for each assessable task (exams, presentations, assignments etc). I'm not confident in my knowledge of the actual cutoffs, but as an example they would look something like this:

HD >85
D >75
C >60
P >50

MrA

hmm, well thanks for that :p
except thats not exactly what i was asking...like is there a set percentage of ppl that get dist, credit, etc in each course?

hope this makes sense :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I thought I just answered that, but I could have made it clearer.

Take a tutorial group of thirty. They are all IT Fobs, so they all do really well in the exams etc and get between 90 and 100%. What you are asking is if all of the above would get HDs, of if they would be forced into lower bands because only [X] number of people can get HDs.

Well, the answer is that they have ALL achieved greater than the prescribed 85, so they would ALL get HDs. However, there is more to it. Something about Bell Curves etc. This doesn't apply to individual tasks though.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
its better to believe lexi than me

but my opinion is that you will get whatever it is your work is worth...if it is worth a HD, you will get a HD, regardless of whether noone else gets it or 50 other people get it

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well at UTS, they don't use the whole bell curve thing as far as I know. Well they certainly don't seem to in IT and Business. If you have a total assessment mark of 85 or over, then you'll get a HD, even if thats everyone in that subject.

The marks for grades are:
Fail - 44Z
Conceeded Pass - 47
Pass - 50-64
Credit - 65-74
Distinction - 75-84
High Distinction - 85-100

karnevil

HSC
UTS does not use the bell curve - believe me, my gf's dad is a lecturer there; i've heard all this before

he lectured recently at a certain uni (which will rename nameless) that forced him to fail a certain percentage of his students just because that Uni stipulated it was to be that way, according to the bell curve system. These kids had worked so hard and he still was forced to fail them - needless to say he doesn't work there anymore

Last edited:

MrA

ahh, ok...so in other words, they dont specify, for example that only 5% of ppl can get high dist, and so on?

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by karnevil
sure would be
just out of curiosity, (and this will remain confidential with the exception of the few who actually surf this thread), was the law faculty at UWS impacted by this?

hello

everyone!!!!:)
HSC
N/A
or how bout the science faculty? coz now uve made me extremely worried

Matthew_152

hmmmm....if only a certain percentage of students can gain high distinctions...is it an advantage to go to a Uni where candidates are of a lower standard....for example, do u think that because people r likely to get higher marks at USYD than UWS that I am disadvantaged by going to USYD?

karnevil

HSC
Originally posted by Tenax Propositi
just out of curiosity, (and this will remain confidential with the exception of the few who actually surf this thread), was the law faculty at UWS impacted by this?
It was the business faculty, but I'd say it's the same right across the other faculties too... ?

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Originally posted by karnevil
It was the business faculty, but I'd say it's the same right across the other faculties too... ?
Based on what I've heard from my sis, I'd say you're 100% correct. It's just interesting to find out that this is common experience for most UWS students. With people-power I think a lot could be changed for the better at that Uni.

karnevil

HSC
These uni's who use the bellcurve seem to think they're doing themselves a favour by 'maintaining' or even 'improving' the standard of the university's marks, and hence its reputation. But it's a crock of shit. Nobody should ever be compared to other students - you should be given marks based on your performance against the marking criteria, not against the other kids in your class

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)