Uni in sex-for-grades allegations (1 Viewer)

Carlito

HSC
An academic has been suspended while the University of Western Sydney investigates allegations the lecturer offered students better results in exchange for sexual favours.

A university spokesman confirmed the lecturer had been suspended last week pending the findings of an inquiry into the staff member's alleged conduct.

"I can confirm that we have launched an investigation after some serious allegations were raised with us in an anonymous email and we have suspended the person," the spokesman said.

"We were very quick to act, we do treat such allegations very seriously."

But students at the university have accused the institution of a lack of transparency in dealing with the case.

The university's Student Association Women's officer Belinda Giblin said the case highlighted problems with the university's processes.

"Victims are often left in the dark about where the process is at and when the process is ended and so never really know if there's been an outcome at all," she told ABC radio.

"The very fact that these students wrote to the university anonymously shows the real concerns they have about the process and the fact that they might be made to feel victimised as a result of making a claim."

But the university spokesman said the complainants had not been contacted because their identities were not known.

"To say the people making the allegation haven't been kept informed is just not true, because we don't yet know who they are.

"We are ensuring these students that they will be treated sympathetically and with the greatest degree of confidentiality."

http://www.seven.com.au/news/topstories/65891

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
"oi...student...fuck me and you'll get a HD, even though you deserve a P"

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
HERES ONE FROM THE Dailiy Telegraph WITH MORE INFORMATION

Sex for good grades
By BRUCE McDOUGALL
March 13, 2004

ALLEGATIONS that a senior academic had sex with his students in return for giving out better grades are being investigated by the University of Western Sydney.

Five students at the university claim they had sexual relations with the lecturer over a period of up to three months in exchange for "academic favours".

The students all young Asian women allege the lecturer "traded grades" and wrote their essays during that period, The Daily Telegraph has learned.

They complained to the university management which confirmed yesterday a staff member had been suspended while an investigation was carried out.

It is understood the academic at the centre of the scandal was questioned by senior UWS staff recently in relation to "sexual misconduct claims".

But the Parramatta and Penrith Students' Association said the alleged victims' authenticity had been questioned and it was planning legal action against the university.

A spokesman for UWS said yesterday the university could not comment on individual cases "because it could prejudice the case".

"However, I can confirm that a person has been suspended pending the outcome of an investigation," the spokesman said.

"The University of Western Sydney treats allegations of sexual harassment extremely seriously.

"We investigate all complaints thoroughly and will use the full extent of the law if a staff member or student is found guilty of sexual harassment.

"In the last week we have received anonymous e-mails raising serious allegations about a UWS staff member.

"The university has endeavoured to make contact with the person(s) sending the e-mails.

"We are assuring students that any information will be treated sympathetically and with the greatest degree of confidentiality.

An anonymous e-mail, signed only "Asian victim", outlining allegations and naming the lecturer has been sent to The Daily Telegraph.

In part it said: "[Lecturer] was given a pap [pep] talk and the matter was hushed internally by UWS last week.

"This is not fair as he continues to have these abusive relations with his students."

The Telegraph yesterday contacted the lecturer who said he had been instructed by UWS not to say anything. "I am not on the campus at the moment . . . I am aware of some e-mails going around and my name has been mentioned," he said.

He refused to confirm whether he was the staff member who had been suspended by the university.

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1260&storyid=1031994

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by VX1-08U
If your tutor isn't in on monday, you know why ...

No it isn't! But it's funny how your all emotional about this touchy subject.
I just think its gross!....and theres no emoticon to express the way I feel!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by boredofschool
and theres no emoticon to express the way I feel!
they should create : puke :, one throwing up.

slipper

HSC
my sister told me she was offered a deal years ago - sex for a good grade. she declined, but she got a D anyway.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
no im not
im just asking general questions

i wonder if the lecturer that asked her would be the same lecturer dat got caught LOL

btw those girls that dobbed him in.. did they have sex with him, and then dobb him in ? das kinda stoopid man.. why giv in in da first place.. jus say no from da beginning.. you no wat i mean..

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I remember on the first day of tourism lectures they said that a tourism teacher was taken off because of reasons which they couldn't say :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)