Uni gyms (1 Viewer)

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Would it be worth it signing up to the gym/swimming pool to theoretically get some exercise during breaks? (I have a three-hour gap on one day so I might actually be able to use it to keep one of my stupid new year's resolutions.) Also, how the hell does the pricing structure work? Are the 'passes' for people who aren't members of SU Sport, or are they on top of the SU Sport fee? I'm probably missing something totally obvious, but I can't figure it out.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Yes, please someone answer what he said. :)

Bob.

HSC
Yeah I dont really understand that link. Whats an SM and a CM? Could someone just tell me how much it is for like a year pass to use just the gym?

fush

HSC
sm = student membership (ie. for ppl currently enrolled in usyd)
cm = community membership (i.e ppl not currently enrolled)

its quite simple really, if u want gym only its 370$ for 12 months.
if u want to clarify just go talk to someone at the sports & rec centre.

Bob.

HSC
thanks for that, ill believe you on your quotes. $370 seems pretty good for a years membership. anyone know what the facilities are like there?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Am I right in thinking there's a gym attached to the public pool in Victoria park?

tlodg

HSC
N/A
I thought the uni gym most people go to is the one in Darlington, in the Sports and Aquatic Centre...

btw, does anyone know that if you join the annual membership ($55), do you still have to pay $37 (or something) on top of the club fee(s) when you join a sports club?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Yeah, I think the uni gyms are the Darlington one and the Arena.

The one in Victoria park is run by Sydney City Council.

fush

HSC
the victoria park pool has nothing to do with uni

the gym with weights is in the arena sports centre past manning.

not too sure if theres weight equipment in the aquatic centre too near the coop bookshop.

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
tlodg said:
btw, does anyone know that if you join the annual membership ($55), do you still have to pay $37 (or something) on top of the club fee(s) when you join a sports club?
No, $37 is the Union's fee (which is completely separate to the Sports Union).
Bookie said:
is group fitness any good? im contemplating that over the weights.

if anyone does GF, tell me, tell me your story.
I really like group fitness. It's a good workout, there are lots of different types of classes and they play pop music! There are a lot more girls than guys in the classes. It's a bit like doing those Aerobics classes that used to be on early morning TV.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
What gym do you want to go to? There are 2. There's the Aquatic Centre and then there's the Arena. The Aquatic Centre is more expensive, like $570 for a year or whatever, while the Arena is $350 a year. I just renewed my membership for another year, and I was told I would not have to pay the $55 as that comes into effect in July or something, but I'm not sure if that applies to first years.

The 2 centres are vastly different. The Aquatic Centre usually has more non students, but has more cardio equipment than the Arena. The Arena though has better weights facilities (The Aquatic Centre does have weights, but they're all cybex machines and squashed into the cardio room, however they are newer, and don't fall apart as often as the ones in the Arena haha...), however the machines time out after 20 minutes unless you're on a treadmill and you choose the long distance one - however beware, if you get on this machine and you walk instead of run, be prepared to be tortured and dismembered by others. And if someone catches you on it for less than 20 minutes, you will also die. But at the Aquatic Centre you are just asked to give up your machine after 20 minutes in peak times but it's not like anyone can really tell...

They also have different opening times, and the Arena doesn't open on Sundays or public holidays but you can use the Aquatic Centre for free on those days if you wish - other days you have to pay the casual fee. But sometimes they'll let you slide. It's also meant to be like $4 or something if you use the pool and you only have an Arena membership, but they never make me pay.

GF is pretty good - the classes get full though so it's best to make a booking beforehand and turn up early, or at least not late, or they'll assume you're not coming and give your place to someone who hasn't booked. Depending on what it is, such as say, BodyAttack, the room gets full and the last BodyAttack I did all the unco people kept banging into us.

GF is good, if you need guidance in how to do a good weights routine well then BodyPump would help you, but you shouldn't do more than 3 a week, and GF is great if you lack motivation. Also, when you do a GF you get a GF/gym (i think..) or GF/swim pass, so you can do the class then go for a swim. You should check the timetable in the pool though, as sometimes it's booked out for water polo - usually in the evenings.

If you don't care which gym you go to, I recommend you do a casual to both and see which one you like. If you're a super gym junkie you can get the executive pass which lets you into all of them.

The Aquatic Centre has better opening hours, and the Arena does get really, really full, sometimes there are lines to use some of the machines, and we just got new machines that are bigger than the old ones so there's slightly less machines than before - also the Sport Teams use the Arena to train, so at times you get whole teams coming in and taking up machines, but eventually you figure out what times who comes in and know when you can get what you want.

Ummm....I dunno what else to say...oh, if you want your fitness assessed, joining is also good, because you a free assessment every 6 weeks depending on the length of your membership - I'm in the top 93% CV fitness wise of the Arena, phwoar.

So that concludes my essay now...if you have anymore questions just ask me...I use these gyms 6 days a week, sometimes more than once a day, and have been for a long time now...so I should be able to answer whatever. And I'm friends with everyone who works at the gyms so I can ask them anything.

Oh but be warned, Ralphs Cafe is right across from the Arena, and around 10-12 the smell of their cooking drifts into the cardio room and can drive you completely insane if you're doing a long workout...

Bookie

Banned
HSC
yulia said:
If you don't care which gym you go to, I recommend you do a casual to both and see which one you like.
wow, i didnt think of that.

provided we can casual to a GF class.

at the moment im more interested in cardio...so GF seems attractive.

plus, i dont know how to use weights, and i wont have any friends with me at thi gym - or none that i know of at the moment anyway.

also, how's the congestion in day hours? [ie 10am - 3pm]

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Yep you can casual to the GF classes. I think it's still $10 for the pass, and you can go to any class you like. You should still ask about booking ahead, but if you don't want to (I hate phoning the Aquatic Centre), turn up early, like go half an hour early and say you want to do it, then go somewhere and warm up - if you don't, you might miss out. BodyAttack is a great aerobic/cardio class. It's the one I do when I'm starting to burn out.

The people who work at the gym are always willing to show you how to use anything if you're not sure how to do something, or you just want help on a particular exercise. One of the trainers helps me train just my wrists because they get really strained from all my acrobatics - and they do it for free.

I can't really speak for the Aquatic Centre on weekdays as I only use it on weekends, but as for the Arena, basically it's packed from 6:30 - 8:30am, usually by older people who work at the university or nearby, and several sports teams; then it's fairly empty (sometimes you'll be the only one in the cardio room) until about 10:30am - 11ish and it picks up again with people who are there on their lunchbreak up until about 2pm...then it's sort of half full until about 4pm which is the 'peak hour' and from then on it gets really busy, I hate going in after 4pm because you'll most likely have to wait for the machine you want, or you'll get people not knowing wtf they're doing getting in your way (some guy hit the emergency stop button on my treadmill once while i was sprinting, i nearly freaking killed him).

As for the Aquatic Centre on weekends, it's not really that bad, except the weights section is pretty much always congested but you can only use the machines for 10 minutes, unlike the Arena when you get people on them for ages. There's usually always plenty of cardio machines left because they have so many.

and depending on the weights you do, you won't need a friend if you just want to use the machines (although free weights do work you out better, but it just means you have to push yourself on the machines) and if you just watch people doing them after a while you pick up what to do. I was so scared of the weights room when I first started...now I do at least 4 sessions a week. Haha the other day some new guys started using the gym and asked to be shown how to use one of the machines that I'd been using...they couldn't lift the amount I was doing :D Their egos were crushed, haha.

Oh and also, despite the fact I find the Aquatic Centre has more random non uni affiliated users, I have more issues with annoying stalkers and guys checking me out in the Arena than at the Aquatic Centre.

Oh and don't forget, when you go for the first time, you have to pay an additional $20 to pay for insurance or something...it's a one off fee that you have to pay as soon as you start getting involved with anything physical for uni (sport, cheerleading, gym usage...)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)