uni exchange? (1 Viewer)

ArtOfLosing

HSC
I'm about to do it - I'm heading off to Seattle in January for 6 months.
It's not difficult to be accepted - go along to one of the information sessions at the start of semester and they'll tell you all about it. Basically you submit an online application saying where and why you want to go then there is a very informal interview and that's basically it. I think you need a credit average also.
It's not that expensive either - you keep paying HECS rather than overseas tuition fees, so you just have to cover airfares and living expenses.
I reckon it's going to be great and I'd recomend looking into it .

Hercules6

HSC
wow... so that is correct that hecs will cover your tuition fee's when you're over there?

I heard that if you want to go to the US you have to show a bank statement with at least 8 grand in your account.

further, do you know if you can do law in the US (because i know it's postgrad over there)

Is it hard to get into the good unis over there - obviously like ivy league stuff, but what about places like like berkeley or UCLA?

finally, will you be getting credit for all the work you do over there? and which Uni is Seattle?

and out of interest, what degree are you doing?

Oh, any all the best with it good luck... I'm sure it'll be great!

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
ok, thanks! and you're supposed to apply about a year before you want to go to allow them to do all the processing and stuff, right?

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm heading off to Copenhagen in second semester next year for six months. You have to apply essentially a year beforehand, so you can't go on exchange until your second year at the very earliest. You're limited in some respects to what unis you can go on exchange to, especially for law - apparently they'll only let you do law at unis with a good reputation for law, and you can't do it at most american unis because it's a postgrad study. Similarly with business at most american unis.
I think you can go on exchange to UPenn, which is Ivy League. Other decent american unis are all of the UC ones (Berkeley, UCLA, etc). However, there's a lot of competition getting in to these unis - Berkeley in particular has a shitload of applicants, and only the very best get in. Other popular unis include whatever the main one is in Paris, and Dublin.
Living expenses can be very expensive - I reckon I'll need more than $12,000 for flights and living expenses just for six months in Copenhagen. You get a small grant from the Vice-Chancellor, but for the most part you have to supply the money yourself.
And yes, you do get credited with a semester's study towards your degree.

Hercules6

HSC
hey,

thanks a lot for your post, it was particularly in depth.

would psychology be alright to study in an exchange?. and do you really have to go to an english speaking country (unless of course you speak another language)?

Just one other thing, does hecs cover your the cost of your subject over seas?

cheers mate, and all the best

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I can't see why they wouldn't let you do psych on exchange. You don't have to go to an english speaking country - in Copenhagen they teach classes in english even though the local language is danish. It depends very much on the uni, ones in France for example will nearly always be in french. And yes, your overseas subjects just come up as four more subjects to pay off on hecs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)