Uni "Equipment" (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Just out of curiosity.... what kind of "equipment" do you people use for uni?

Do you use latop computers mostly in lectures? Or do most people write?

Would having a dictaphone type thing that you could record lectures on be handy? Does anyone use one of these??

How much do textbooks cost on average??? Say, for a Media and Communications or Journalism course, how much do you think one would have to spend on textbooks for the year?

Just trying to prepare my parents for what lies ahead....... lol

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
1. you dont need a laptop
2. you dont need a dictaphone

all you need is pen and paper, and your lecture notes.

textbook prices differ via faculty however your looking at between $70 and $100 per book after student discount, which is 8% i think.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
equipment? bahhh a pen and a pad, if that. i went out at the start of the year and told my 'rents i wanted a voice recorder and a laptop and everything else that sounded uni like. and i ended up with the voice recorder but i have used it my lecs once.. the rest of time i've used it for recording my violin practices :D :D

im still getting a laptop tho, just for typing up my essays so that i dont get distracted by this marvelous internet connection to mIRC and the forums... but then again i've been after a laptop for ages :D

so yes uni equipment = pen and pad.. lunch money too i spose :p

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
lol... I will be getting a laptop because I will need it to do all my work on since I will be leaving home.... and I will need it to send emails home to my concerned parents lol. I was just curious as to what most people use... would you say most people use laptops, or do most use pens and paper...

Weird question I know, but I come from a non-metro area, and I've heard strange stories about high school kids using laptops at school for all subjects etc... lol

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
fari enough. In general the vast majority of students dont use a laptop during lectures. But that is just based on the people in my degree( IT @ UTS). I think ive seen only like one or two people out of lets say 150 who use them. Most people just use pen/paper because its user to scribble/draw arrows/diagrams etc.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Weird question I know, but I come from a non-metro area, and I've heard strange stories about high school kids using laptops at school for all subjects etc... lol
lol...i know quite a few private skools who do dat.....well there is this primary skool close to where i live..and even da lil kiddies are carrying bloody laptops that are 3 times the size of their weight...lol

but when it comes to uni....laptops are great.....are u coming to a uni in syd? or another ct?

truly in bliss

sunny

meh.
HSC
That depends on what you do and what you need to do.

I go to UNSW and alot of the time its hard to find a free computer in their computer labs, especially assessments are nearly due: easy way out is to turn on the laptop and logon to the uni wireless network.

And of course, what do you do during a 3 hour break? Play some games :D

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
well best of luck! wollongong uni is acutalli better than uni of synd of unsw....lol
In what area?

I do commerce/law and I don't bring my laptop to uni - but if you're living away from home they are great, UNSW has a wireless network so you can access all the online resources around the uni :). It's also convenient if you just want to find a quiet part of the library, plug in and type something :).

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Thanks for your info.... I'm looking in to journalism or media and communications.... so I actually think UTS & Sydney have a better reputation in that field than Wollongong.... it's one of my back ups if I don't get the marks.

pinkbella

Dancing naked in the moonlight (can't handle it? d
"reputation"
haha
everybody's obsessed with which uni has the better reputation
just go where the course looks like it will be the best and you will enjoy it most. Fuck the name.

btw - i'm studying media and my textbooks cost the grand total of $20 for this semester.
so all you reputation lovers :p...that's more money for me and my alcohol!

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by pinkbella
[Bbtw - i'm studying media and my textbooks cost the grand total of $20 for this semester.
so all you reputation lovers :p...that's more money for me and my alcohol! [/B]
how can you cut it down to 20 bucks? one hsc textbook is lyk 60 soemthing....wot uni do yu go to?

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by kini mini
In what area?

I do commerce/law...
overall standards....wollog have won the state award for lyk 3 consecutive yrs or osmething.....i cant remember da exact stat..but tis somehting lyk dat...

comm law!!..........ahhh!! *drools with envy*...lol :D

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
In my course, out of the 130 or so people, only 1 person uses a laptop...and I fucking HATE that person, cos all you cam hear in lectures when she is sitting nearby is her typing away.:mad1:
Quite a few people in my course use dictaphones, simply because I'm doing speech pathology, and we need to have dictaphones for our course anyway for clinical work, so people might as well get a bit of use of if it since they have to fork out for one either way. But I wouldn't bother with that unless you had one already-if you miss something, you can easily get the information off of someone else/your textbook/lecture notes on the net.

This semester, my textbooks alone cost over $500 (thats with the co-op discount) -and I need to buy more next semester. So yes...it can get quite costly, but it all depends on your course. One thing to make sure is not to assume you can get cheap textbooks second hand-A lot of people sell off old textbooks, but because everyone is at UNI is broke and is looking for second hand ones, people manage to sell old ones off for high prices. People sell textbooks worth $100 for $90, and plenty of people are still willing to pay that. And also-they are always changing the required textbooks, so people in previous years may not have used the textbooks that you need. Make sure you join the Co-op before you buy any textbooks-it saves you an absolute fortune!

Last edited:

Giant Lobster

HSC
But I like laptops...

awww I was planning to have a laptop in uni, and during breaks my friends and I can lan up and war3 a bit...
way to go, you destroyed part of my uni dream. :( :D :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)