• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Uni Education - Makes you a better person? (2 Viewers)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
|Axis_ said:
Yeah, you can't say whether the rotten apple's brown or not. However, you can conclude that if the apple's not rotten, it's not brown.
yeah. For A->B.

If you assume A, then you know you have B (MP)
If you dont have B, then you know you dont have B (MT)
But that is all you can infer.

I learned this kind of stuff in logic (a philosophy unit) but i am surprised it is also learned in math units. Do you use PL (or QL) in maths or is it a different language and symbols?

|Axis_

HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
I learned this kind of stuff in logic (a philosophy unit) but i am surprised it is also learned in math units. Do you use PL (or QL) in maths or is it a different language and symbols?
What does PL and QL stand for?

Yeah, we also use the implies symbol ( ->, =>, <->, etc) and letters and stuff.

I'm not suprised that this is studied in philosophy. One afternoon I was drifting through the philosophy section of the uni library and picked up a book on its history. Believe it or not, mathematicians were apparently quite involved with the philosophers in the old days when maths was less formalised.

One person mentioned in the book was George Boole, a mathematician. He decided that even though it's very much a 'human' quality to be able to think and assess ourselves, etc, there are always a few rules that we follow when making a logical deduction. And so he made Boolean Algebra.

I think many philosophers of the past used to study maths, in particular geometry. Perhaps you've read about Descartes, for example?

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to take this thread so far off course! I guess what I'm trying to show is that maths isn't just numbers, it's formalised logic, it's patterns, it's accurate reasoning and it's fun! If you consider humans a thinking creature, then uni will develop you, whether or not you study maths.

Funny how no girls talk when maths is brought up. Oh well, I try.

Last edited:

Lainee

HSC
|Axis_ said:
Funny how no girls talk when maths is brought up. Oh well, I try.
;) Because I was getting all confused. Mumble-jumble stuff.
Everyone sounded so into it, so I went searching for basic info... gotta love Wikipedia. :uhhuh:

|Axis_ said:
I'm not suprised that this is studied in philosophy. One afternoon I was drifting through the philosophy section of the uni library and picked up a book on its history. Believe it or not, mathematicians were apparently quite involved with the philosophers in the old days when maths was less formalised.
Because scientists and mathematicians are philosophers who seek to understand the world through systems of rules and structures.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to take this thread so far off course! I guess what I'm trying to show is that maths isn't just numbers, it's formalised logic, it's patterns, it's accurate reasoning and it's fun! If you consider humans a thinking creature, then uni will develop you, whether or not you study maths.
V. interesting though! I'll be sure to do some research into it. :)

...actually, I think I've forgotten why I started this thread in the first place. :p

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
|Axis_ said:
What does PL and QL stand for?

Yeah, we also use the implies symbol ( ->, =>, <->, etc) and letters and stuff.

One person mentioned in the book was George Boole, a mathematician. He decided that even though it's very much a 'human' quality to be able to think and assess ourselves, etc, there are always a few rules that we follow when making a logical deduction. And so he made Boolean Algebra.

I think many philosophers of the past used to study maths, in particular geometry. Perhaps you've read about Descartes, for example?
PL= Propositional Logic
QL= Quantificational Logic

Yeah i guess maths and Philosophy overlap. Its a shame that philosophy is looked down today as being irrelevant because there are so many branches, esp. logic, which are scientific (in light of the common, and very wrong, idea that philosophy is subjective, arty and bullshitty) We learned a lot about Descarte in PHIL131 (and a little in PSY104), interesting dude with his meditations :)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Lainee said:
;) Because I was getting all confused. Mumble-jumble stuff.
Everyone sounded so into it, so I went searching for basic info... gotta love Wikipedia. :uhhuh:
i know, it seems like that at first. I remember when i started the course (formal logic) i was like 'what the hell?', the concepts that you learn are so strange at first but once you grasp it it is very interesting :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)