• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Uni Education - Makes you a better person? (1 Viewer)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
LazyBoy said:
Do you care to comment on the UWS side of this, I spoke to a friend who changed from UWS to USYD and she said that UWS had no societies or clubs or whatever and really didnt encourage social gatherings as much as she found USYD does. Care to clarify or correct?
There are clubs and societies ... but university is what you make it. If you dont want to be in clubs and societies, then theres nothing stopping you. At the same time, if you want to be in clubs, then by all means theres nothing stopping you. Plus its slightly hard to organise gatherings over 6 campuses and over 15,000 students.

S

Shuter

Asquithian said:
Uni isnt an education thesedays either. It's just so you can get a job. If you wanted to do a degree that was liberal rather than vocational you would be doing B Jurisprudance or a BA in Philosophy and English.

We get this group of students that are just (Say like com law or com or whatever) that are simply robots.

You can go to uni and graduate and still know nothing about the world you live in. Sad. Thats why in the US you have to do liberal arts first.
That right, I'm only going to uni for the accreditation, not nessacerily the knowledge, some of it I probably already possess, other I could pick up easily and quickly on any job. However, this doesn't mean alot to employers, so I'm simply here to get a degree with my name on it. Not to expand personal knowledge as such and not to expand my horizons.

LazyBoy

HSC
Well that does make sense. what about the union or association, do they have regular get togethers, social functions and stuff?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Yes, theres always social gatherings going on at campuses and cruises, etc. But I've never been to them so I wouldn't know what its like.

LazyBoy

HSC
natstar said:
IMO its a waste of time and money going to uni just for the accrediation. I for one am not only going there to get a job, but for the knowledge in an area I am interested in.

Lazyboy-you shouldent belive hearsay, thats the problem. UWS has heaps of clubs and societies, and fucken does encourage social gatherings. Which is think is why its a more "down to earth" university.
http://www.uwssa.org.au/ If ur so interested
How is it hearsay when i got it from someone who went to UWS. by that rule, everything YOU say is just heresay and why should i beleive you. lol. But just to clear it up, i never said i fully beleive them, which is why i asked you because i wasnt sure about it. Which i beleive isnt the problem your tlaking about.

LazyBoy

HSC
yeah i do beleive it, i was just making a point :p. i can see probably why she didnt even realise it existed. with many campsus that would cause a great problem. Sort of like USYD main campus vs cumberland. Cumberland always seems to miss out or play to its own tune sorta thing.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Nat, I find it interesting that you are so against attending uni to get a job.

Yes, I am there for the experience, and to gain knowledge, and whatever else...but my field (occupational therapy), like many others (especially in the health area), you literally HAVE to have a degree to be qualified for it. How do you propose we get these jobs if we don't go to uni?

LazyBoy

HSC
although people doing law and more so sciences dont have time for anything else. Its really the same people who didnt have time for a lfie during highschool. education is important, but dont sacrifice your social life for it completely.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I can see your view jess. Some jobs require uni degrees to be qualified.

But, I could have left school in year 10 and gone to tafe and got a certificate 2 in tourism and got a job in tourism. Even though I got a certificate 2 for my HSC, i wanted to get more knowledge into the industry. However, tourism is quite different than most other careers. Its just the field that I am interested in though, thats why I decided to go to uni, it doesn't guarantee me a job though.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
You can go to uni and graduate and still know nothing about the world you live in. Sad. Thats why in the US you have to do liberal arts first.
i'm curious. what is liberal arts exactly? just like what you do in B arts? (philosophy, history, etc).

LazyBoy

HSC
liberal arts is a course where you have to major in an arts and science subject.

difference between what im doing is.. i have to do a certain ammount of cp in arts, science, business and legal. but i only have to major in either arts or science

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
LazyBoy said:
Chookyn, we live in a mulicultural society. What about clashing cultures? such as lebonese culture brought to australia? should we be tollerant of cultures that support stoneing of women? should we be tollerant of cultures that go against tradition western values? There has to be a line in tollerance, where is it drawn. Do we tollerate cultures who impose female circumcision? do we tollerate cultures where bribary is an expected business practice? do we tolerate those who dont speak english?
Xayma said:
But who should choose what morals to follow. Many christians would think I'm an immoral person, however, I see nothing wrong with my morals, and in fact view some of what they are doing as immoral (the continual preaching to others in the case of mormons etc). I should not be taught Christian morals, and some of my morals should not be taught to others because they will most likely disagree with them.

Personal morality should not necessairly be given emphasis, that just encourages people to speak out against what they view as immoral, polygamy, homosexuality, gambling etc, even if it does not affect them. The law is a good enough distinguishing factor and it is always changing to keep in line with the changing values of society.
Yes, admittedly it seems there is no easy answer. You've both raised some valid questions and points there, though. Thanks for giving us some food-for-thought :)

|Axis_

HSC
Incidentally, a lot of you guys engaging in this discussion and finding it stimulating to exchange points of view and debate in this forum go to uni. Doesn't that say something?

Don't you think education DOES make you a better person in this sense? At least you can express your opinions in an educated way. Don't you find that those people who choose to continue on with Year 12, those who are interested in further developing themselves through higher education, are usually more open to different types of people?

I say higher education DOES make you a better person, in the sense that you're more likely to value sensible discussions such as this. I'm sure you all listen to, respect what each other says and judge them by the content of their arguments. Many who dismiss education as valuable to a person's development probably won't care for any of this.

That's not to say all of those are shallow minded, though. Some are just simple minded and that can be a good thing - don't you find that kebab shop owners are just so friendly?

LazyBoy

HSC
not true. there are alot of people on here who are open to people with different types of opinion and lifes. they just dismiss everything they say as lies and ignorance when its neither.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
i'm curious. what is liberal arts exactly? just like what you do in B arts? (philosophy, history, etc).
Liberal Studies in Australia, although based on the US model degree is not completely the same. In the US, their Lib Arts degree requires compulsory study in basically eveything including things like a language (at least one), mathematics, English, history, social sciences, "lab" sciences etc. B Arts is limited to the subjects in the Arts faculty therefore, it isnt AS Liberal lol

B Liberal Studies does offer study in a wide variety of subjects but it isnt as restricted (in the sense of compulsory subjects) as the US program.

|Axis_

HSC
LazyBoy said:
not true. there are alot of people on here who are open to people with different types of opinion and lifes. they just dismiss everything they say as lies and ignorance when its neither.
Wow! Did you notice that your statement is recursive? Or at least self referential!
:p
Look, not to make friction, but it's not true that my argument is not true. Yes, as you said, some people in the forum go to uni yet act like you say. But for all you know, they might have been worse if they didn't go to uni. In that case, they still ARE better and there is truth to my argument.

By the way, don't you think it's very careless to simply dismiss something as false? I think it would be good for more people to study logic and implications in mathematics. I think it has been recommended for lawyers too.

hello99999

HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
get out of the thread stupid. if there is one thing i hate it is some little git trying to argue against a persons point of view by highlighting a typo. Flee scum, and do not return.
i wasn't trying to argue against their point of view, i was just making a comment. no need to get all agro about it! have you tried anger management?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)