Uni Advice - UOW or move to Usyd? (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Besides, NTB and I are acting as neutral third parties.

Santa "I HAVE A LARGE PENIS"
Others "We've seen other penises"

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
USyd would have a wrinkled, flaccid penis then wouldn't it?
What an intelligent, insightful post. Thanks alot for your contribution to this thread!

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
You're all wrong.

KEEP OUT OF UNIVERSITY!
It's full of elitist fucknuts who think they're God's gift to the Earth. They exist in all faculties and I've been at uni long enough to have become one myself. People who say that doesn't happen at their university are dirty liars.

I didn't take advice given to me about how bad university is, and look where it ended up. Don't make my mistake.

If you do, the best thing you can do at uni is keep away from everybody.

Santaslayer is just talking up UOW, whereas NTB/neo_o are talking it down and hiding it by saying it's unbiased third party criticism. You're egging him on, which makes you as bad as he is. Go eat some mang. :(

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
poloktim said:
You're all wrong.

KEEP OUT OF UNIVERSITY!
It's full of elitist fucknuts who think they're God's gift to the Earth. They exist in all faculties and I've been at uni long enough to have become one myself. People who say that doesn't happen at their university are dirty liars.

I didn't take advice given to me about how bad university is, and look where it ended up. Don't make my mistake.
so we should all quit uni and enrol in LPAB?

that's pathetic. :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
what the...? vBulletin/server playing up?

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
Vampire said:
LOL, btw is the guy that started this thread jonathan from shhs?

no dula, from the looks its a guy called Jase from kiama high....thats right mate, u cant go anywhere on bos without someone knowing hu u are

btw, do u really wanna do engineering after doing all english and humanities in ur hsc?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
poloktim said:
You're all wrong.

KEEP OUT OF UNIVERSITY!

If you do, the best thing you can do at uni is keep away from everybody.

Santaslayer is just talking up UOW, whereas NTB/neo_o are talking it down and hiding it by saying it's unbiased third party criticism. You're egging him on, which makes you as bad as he is. Go eat some mang. :(
We can talk it down and be unbias you know....

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
We can talk it down and be unbias you know....
But you're talking it down for the sake of argument.

You've seen what happens with natstar when you try to talk UWS down. Are you that much of a moron to not learn from it? :(

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
poloktim said:
But you're talking it down for the sake of argument.

You've seen what happens with natstar when you try to talk UWS down. Are you that much of a moron to not learn from it? :(
I like it when natstar explodes into a fit of frothing western sydney rage.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I guess in the end Im really the most qualified here to help you with you quandry. However that does not mean I have the answer for you, Im just going to let you in on my situation.

I was in a very similar situation to you and it came down to some very personal reasons that I found myself at UOW. Haven't looked back since. I will be 21 when I graduate with an LLB and practical diploma, was offered a clerkship from 2 firms for this summer (didn't even apply) and have made many valuable connections with those in the game for when I graduate.

However my dream has never been to make it in the big leagues....I can't think of anything worse. I want to get in there and work with the little guys, not with the big firms. All signs so far are pointing towards me being a very happy camper when I graduate.

But I cannot pretend to know whether prestige matters when going for that big top-tier position NO ONE ON THIS BOARD CAN. I really wish everyone would quit pretending that they know because they don't. And they won't know until they actually do begin to apply for these positions.

Id like to be able to say with authority that prestige does or doesn't matter. But I can't. No one here can.

Yes, USyd has more prestige in the name than UOW. You will get that with a 150 year old university. Thankyou for stating the obvious guys, that was never a matter of contention. No one at UOW thinks they are at a more prestigious institution than students at USyd. But that doesn't automatically put every USyd student on top of every UOW student, Im afraid it just doesn't work like that.

Quit saying UOW is shit because its not. Its young, its growing. USyd is old, its established. There is no way of logical comparison between the two. I know for a fact that we have respected, ridiculously highly paid, authoritative teachers, the uni in itself is loaded (one of the only ones in NSW without money woes), and we have great electives and great facilities. Stop assuming you can judge it because its in Wollongong. Wollongong is a hole, yes, but the uni isn't. It is going from strength to strength.

Back to the OP, in the end if comes down to money I guess. Sydney Law School is a dream that many don't get the chance to realise, but you do. However, moving out of home is quite costly (hell, just plain living when you're a uni student is costly!) and you may find yourself working more than going to uni. But thats something I guess you need to balance. If USyd is a dream for you, go for it. But do it for reasons other than some of the lame ones put forth by the 'UOW is shit' brigade.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The purpose of UOW is to supply education for / graduates to the community of woolongong. It is a regional university, like UNCLE or UWS. However UWS is in a particularily difficult position as it is often (due to proximity) a possible choice for sydney sighters.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
The purpose of UOW is to supply education for / graduates to the community of woolongong. It is a regional university, like UNCLE or UWS. However UWS is in a particularily difficult position as it is often (due to proximity) a possible choice for sydney sighters.
The purpose of UOW is the same as any university in the country--to provide tertiary education. I don't know where you people get this idea that is must be second rate because it isn't in the city....please do some more research before making empty statements.

I live in Sydney. Most people Ive met at UOW have been from Sydney. Therefore if its purpose is to supply education to the people of Wollongong, it must be failing in its purpose.

I also don't understand how UWS is 'regional', if you'd like to tell me how you figure that Bankstown is regional. I wouldn't even consider Parramatta regional.

Just cos it isn't in the CBD doesn't mean its regional. And just because its regional doesn't mean its second rate.

Don't start flaming me, I am just rebutting statements that have no backing behind them.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The purpose of UOW is the same as any university in the country--to provide tertiary education. I don't know where you people get this idea that is must be second rate because it isn't in the city....please do some more research before making empty statements.

I live in Sydney. Most people Ive met at UOW have been from Sydney. Therefore if its purpose is to supply education to the people of Wollongong, it must be failing in its purpose.
It serves two purposes, to provide easier access to tertiary education for the people of the woolongong region... and to provide well-educated graduates. Despite your 'zomg your wrong do more research' argument, I stand by my claim that the purpose of UOW is what i mentioned.

I also don't understand how UWS is 'regional', if you'd like to tell me how you figure that Bankstown is regional. I wouldn't even consider Parramatta regional.

Just cos it isn't in the CBD doesn't mean its regional. And just because its regional doesn't mean its second rate.
UWS is regional because well... that's what it is

uws mission statement said:
“To be a university of international standing and outlook, achieving excellence through scholarship, teaching, learning, research and service to its regional, national and international communities, beginning with the people of Greater Western Sydney”
uow mission statement said:
To advance our international reputation as an outstanding research and teaching University distinguished by excellence, leadership and innovation in the quality of our research, in student learning and achievement, and in engagement with our communities.
I believe if I also looked up the legislation that allowed for the construction of UWS / UOW you would find quite a similar focus on their community.

Don't start flaming me, I am just rebutting statements that have no backing behind them.
And doing a REALLY bad job at it.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
by going to wollongong my uai turns into the equivalent of someone who got 101.15 at james ruse :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)