• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Unfair mum - TAFE or UNI ? (1 Viewer)

Should my friend go to TAFE or UNI ? (Read thread first)

• UNI

Votes: 42 89.4%
  • TAFE

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
A friend of mine has scored an UAI of approx. mid-80's, he missed his first pref. by 0.5, however is able to get into his other prefs. His mother is a very, very manipulating, hard-to-argue-with person. After looking at the syllabus of his first pref against the same (similar) course at TAFE, she decides it is better for him to go to TAFE. All his friends think he should go to Uni, he has tried to argue with his mum but has eventually lost the (long) argument. Dont you think his mum is being unfair? ...And he has no choice now.

Should this person go to TAFE, or UNI? Join poll.

P.S No badmouthing please. ;)

HSC
Hmmm how do you know he has missed out on his course? The offers haven't been released and even then he might be able to get a second/final round offer anyway.

Yeah the mum is being unfair. Maybe TAFE *is* a better option. What course is it? If he really wants to go to uni he is going to have to convince his mother that Uni is a better option.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
Without Wings said:
I think your friend should be old enough and (hopefully) mature enough to stand up for what he wants in life. If he really wants to go to university he should be standing up for this - it's his life and he is the one who has to live it, not his mother.
he's my mate too, and this is a thread i'll show him for sure. and yeah, i've been saying the exact same thing to him - that he should stand up & make his own decisions. :\

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
p4e81 said:
he's my mate too, and this is a thread i'll show him for sure. and yeah, i've been saying the exact same thing to him - that he should stand up & make his own decisions. :\

G

Gavvvvvin

I don't see why he he has to stand up for himself, just apply and accept the offer. Fuck some people are dolts.

decypher

HSC
Without Wings said:
I think your friend should be old enough and (hopefully) mature enough to stand up for what he wants in life. If he really wants to go to university he should be standing up for this - it's his life and he is the one who has to live it, not his mother.
I agree. If he's 18 he can do what he wants. HECS will cover uni costs (well not Textbooks etc).

watatank said:
If he really wants to go to uni he is going to have to convince his mother that Uni is a better option.
I fail to see why this is so important. By now he should be old enough to be his own legal guardian. I understand many people need parental support during uni (i.e live at home etc), but would his mum really kick him out for going to TAFE? Maybe he should discuss it openly and honestly with her and let her voice her concerns and listen to her advice and then make his own decision.

HSC
Well if he wants to go to university he should apply and see how he goes.

Screw what his mother says. She may mean well but whatever he feels is better about them then the tafe course he should try his hardest to convince her.

If that doesn't work....i mean...apply anyway?! His life, his course :)

His mother will get over it later. Don't worry about it.

btw? isn't it a bit late? or has he put in his prefs but only has time to apply for tafe right now?

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Why in the world would a parent prefer TAFE over uni? Plus, it's not like one explicitly requires parental consent to get into uni. I hope your friend still applied on UAC for that course because the cut off might drop.

He should tell his mother that he'll apply for TAFE if he doesn't get the offer, not before.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Can you please elaborate on why he has no choice? Or, is he just a stupid fuck, who will allow someone else to design his own life and future?

Lose in life.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
Can you please elaborate on why he has no choice? Or, is he just a stupid fuck, who will allow someone else to design his own life and future?

Lose in life.
hey man saying that is kinda slack even though tafe is a stupid choice...

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
p4e81 said:
hey man saying that is kinda slack even though tafe is a stupid choice...
So, if I told you to do something you absolutely abhorred and you knew in 10 years by doing so, you’ll be looking for ways to kill yourself, because of your own imbecilely, in allowing someone to create and take control of your own life, which you have total control of, you’ll allow it to happen?

Wow. Smart indeed.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
well i certainly didnt say its smart did i? i just reckon u shouldnt have insulted him like that.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
p4e81 said:
well i certainly didnt say its smart did i? i just reckon u shouldnt have insulted him like that.

Why does one need to fabricate the truth?
k.

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
who fabricated the truth? or do you mean ppl will only realise its stupid if u swear at the guy?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Wait you're asking a forum full of people whose main goal in life is to get a 99+ UAI and do med or com/law at uni whether someone should go to tafe or uni? :D

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Wait you're asking a forum full of people whose main goal in life is to get a 99+ UAI and do med or com/law at uni whether someone should go to tafe or uni? :D
thx funny guy but i didnt make this thread.

EDIT: oops i apologise if that wasnt directed at me :\

Last edited:

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
Lodgic said:
If he is prepared to learn a course at university level, then he should do uni rather than TAFE - he will definately have more broader qualifications with a degree rather than a certificate/diploma.

Practically speaking, if he can get into a 'desired' course, and if he is prepared to do the work for it academically, i would definately say for the person to go to Uni...they should explain to their mum the broader education benefits in terms of career prospects :D
QFT. He should really discuss this with his mother and lay out why he wants to go to Uni in a calm and logical manner. The final decision, after all, is up to him.

That being said, I do get the whole "mother" thing and why he caved. Although my mother is not manipulative/part-takes in other nasty behaviour (she's actually really nice :) ), I am scared to death of disappointing her. If she was really set against me going to Uni, I would be hard pressed to go. Even if I did go, I would still be miserable half the time.

If your friend's relationship with his mother is like that, then he really, really needs to talk to her about this without arguments or blame. He needs to explain where he is coming from and why he wants to go to Uni instead of TAFE. But, he cannot let his mother trample all over him and twist her opinion into his. I think that if your friend put his foot down about the subject, his mother would see that he really wants to go and will relent in the end (he might have to be patient).

As long as he remains firm in his resolve and is able to counter all his mother's "arguments" with his own, then it should settle down eventually. It is his life, and not his mothers. Besides, he's gotta break off from mother's "controlling" behaviour eventually.

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
I'd love to have my children go to TAFE rather than Uni so they can hang out with a throng of unmotivated, unfocused dropkicks everyday. This will surely secure my children's bright future 100% of the time, 0% of the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)