Unfair Marking (1 Viewer)

Foxyq

HSC
I just had an english speech and got my results back. All classes had different teachers marking their speeches. My friend and I both scored full marks on the presentation part (loudness, tone, pitch, eye contact, hand gestures) so that's not the issue. I feel like I presented it pretty well, but for the actual content I got 13/20!!! And my friend got 19/20. I'm pretty sure the quality of the content was not that far apart from my friends and my speech, and I also helped her with her speech. We were both marked by different teachers and her teacher is ALOT more lenient in marking. My teacher marked pretty hard on our class. Should I do something about this? I seriously think I deserve AT LEAST a 16/20 and i'm pretty sure if I was marked by her teacher, I would have gotten higher. Should I see the head teacher for English or confront my own teacher?

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Unfortunately in situations like this, particularly in speeches, it is at the marking teacher's discretion to determine the marks. You can approach your head teacher, but it won't guarantee a remark of any sort. I would recommend doing so though, just in the hope they might consider it. You may want to confront your teacher about it and she may just explain why your mark was significantly lower. When it comes to English, even though the content may be very similar in essays, the manner in which it is articulated is equally important. If she believes something as simple as sentence structure detracted from the ability to understand or coherently communicate your point of view, then she is within her rights to simply not attribute marks for it (you don't consider it as a deduction in marks in English as teachers start at 0/20 and try to award you with as many marks as possible) even if your content is the same. This is really the problem with the English subject, in that it is so subjective. I have found myself in similar situations such as you, but it is really the teacher's decision of how they think your writing is regardless of what you think you deserve. But to be frankly honest, the marking system at your school seems a little out of balance. The way they marked speeches at my school in year 12 was in front of a panel of 3 teachers and then they would take the average of the 3 marks. It seems more fair that way, and if there really was a huge discrepancy between the marks, e.g. 12/20 but the other two gave 18/20, the lower I think was disregarded or re-examined and the head teacher would decide what to do about it. So at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you think you deserve, it's what the teacher thinks that matters. They're at no obligation to change the mark because you think you deserve higher, but it's worth a confrontation just in the off-chance it happens.

Foxyq

HSC
Sigh... I've managed to maintain my rank in the top 20's out of roughly 150 people and my rank just decreased into the 40's range because of this one speech. It was worth a lot of weighting. This was the last assessment as well. Pretty much everyone in her class got 15 or above and our class ranged from 8/20 to 13/20. (I got the highest in my class, another reason why I don't think it was marked fairly). If the teachers refuse to give me just a few more marks, isn't there anything else I can do? Are they even allowed to refuse me marks even after I have blatantly pointed out all evidence that it was marked unfairly? It's really important I do well in English because it's the only subject i'm good at and has been keeping my atar estimate up and this one small speech just ruined EVERYTHING :c

madharris

HSC
N/A
Don't you give in a transcript for a speech? If so then it was probably marked fairly in terms of the content

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Compare the two classes assessment average range in general with that for this speech. If the discrepancy is great it indicates that you are correct and the transcript of the assessments should all (not just yours) be remarked for content.

Foxyq

HSC
Yes we handed in a transcript but one teacher marks one class and that's it. Other teachers don't have a look at other classes transcripts, they only see one class. There are roughly 5 classes, and yes there is a big difference in the averages between both classes, my school really needs a better system in marking speeches. I'm going to speak to my teacher about this tomorrow, thanks for all the replies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)