unfair asessment task? (1 Viewer)

HSC
ok i need u guys advice. im chem we were required to do 2 prac tasks as assesments, so we done our titrations one before the trials and as we didnt have enough time to do another one our teacher decided to double our marks and use them. when we got our marks back i got 17.5/20 which is really good 4 me.

after we got back from the trials, our teacher gave one of the chem nerds the option to do another prac to increase her marks, but if she did it we all had to do it. so she decided to do it, so we had to do it the next day.

the next day she didnt turn up for the prac, so the rest of the class still had to do the prac without her. she then turned up at the end of the lesson and pur teacher didnt make her do it! at this point the rest of the class was fuming.

a few days later our teacher said only one persons ranking was effected, mine. i went from 8th to 9th. the chick who didnt do the prac (and i dont know why she hasnt) beat me overall by 1% so i went down.

my problems are:
1) arnt all assesments meant to be done before the trials, so therefore the prac should not be valid?
2) isnt a teacher meant to give 2 weeks notice not 24hrs?
3) even if she didnt get to the prac in time she should have a doc certificate (which she doesnt)
i spoke to a friend from another school and she said on the official board of studies syllabus it says no assesments after trials? am i being selfish? what should i do? should i appeal?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well i can answer one of your questions.

Schools CAN set assesments post-trials, and in fact most do.

Oh and the two week thing is in place in the majority of schools but i believe that is just school policy not BOS regulation

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
lil lelu said:
1) arnt all assesments meant to be done before the trials, so therefore the prac should not be valid?
?
No. Many schools conduct many assesable tasks after the trials. It is perfectly legitimate ( although may be annoying for students)

lil lelu said:
2) isnt a teacher meant to give 2 weeks notice not 24hrs?
?
It is reccomended that they give 2 weeks notice. They are generally meant to do this, however from my understanding they are meant to do this from a courtesy aspect and it is almost impossible to appeal against this. You need to appeal before the task takes place as well ( rather than after) as then it looks as if you are appealing because you are unhappy with your marks.

lil lelu said:
3) even if she didnt get to the prac in time she should have a doc certificate (which she doesnt)
i spoke to a friend from another school and she said on the official board of studies syllabus it says no assesments after trials? am i being selfish? what should i do? should i appeal?

The student should have a docters cert. ( or excuse within reasons, e.g. unpreventable family causes)
If you wish to appeal ( although it would probably be hard to find a reason for appeal) You should follow your schools assesment policy which should invloving approaching class teacher, head, deputy .. so on. But it would need to be done quickly before ranks are finalised.

tennille

HSC
It is really hard to do anyhting asbout it, especially now, since your marks will be going to Board soon. I'd suggest you talk to the head teacher of science ASAP, as *girl04* has already mentioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)