UNE On-campus Accommodation (1 Viewer)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Re: Whats accommadation like?

I believe Mary White has some connection with the original land grand for the university. Not too sure about the rest - I know there's a Duval High School and Duval Street in town, so I gather it must be a local thing, and St. Albert's is owned by the chruch, so they could name it whatever they wanted - but they're probably mostly named for benefactors or some such.

lawgrad1

HSC

Besides EPC, the history of the other colleges are as follows:

Mary White College was named after Mary White of Saumarez Homestead (where I used to be a tour guide). She was on the New England Uni College Advisory Council from 1938 till 1948.

Robb College was named after William Menzies Robb who was the Registrar for the New England Uni College and then UNE.

Duval College was named after Mount Duval (which was named after John Duval - a convict & pastoralist of the area).

Austin College was named after Dr R.B Austin who was the Government Medical Officer in Armidale at the time of the New England Uni College's establishment.

Drummond & Smith College used to be separate colleges (Drummond College and S.H Smith House). Drummond College was named after David Henry Drummond (who was influential in the establishment of UNE). S.H. Smith House was named after Stephen Henry Smith, the former Minister for Education.

Wright Village was originally known as the Claude St Flats. However, following the closure of Wright College (which was named in honour of the Wright family) the Claude St flats were renamed.

St Albert's College was named after St Albert the Great - the patron saint of scientists.

For further information ......

Booloominbah was the family home of Frederick Robert White (the uncle of Mary White of Mary White College). F.R. White's son in law, Thomas Foster granted the home to Sydney Uni to establish the New England Uni College.

With thanks to my Arts major in history for providing me with the above information.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Patron saint of scientists?

Seems a contradiction of terms given the church's collison with science (ie Copernicus, Gallileo) ...

BlackDragon

HSC

are there any pool (as in the cue sport) facilities at une? there probably won't be in the colleges me thinks, and i don't think there are any at sport une, so hmm? do any colleges have pool/darts etc.? or anywhere on campus?

just wondering.

bjtrim2

HSC

Austin had a pool table when i as on the tour there.

lawgrad1

HSC

EPC had a pool table when I was there but since I finished in 2005, I'm not sure whether it's still there.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Well Duval had a pool table before it was cool. Austin didn't have one when I went for the tour there and I know Mary White is getting one. And we've still got one thing you don't: the Duval Curve.

If your college doesn't have one, I'm pretty sure the Building Formerly Known As The 'Stro has them. Whether or not they're still there ...

BlackDragon

HSC

lawgrad1 said:
EPC had a pool table when I was there but since I finished in 2005, I'm not sure whether it's still there.
hey page has a coffee shop right? (or so i've heard). what's it like? prices? etc?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

BlackDragon said:
hey page has a coffee shop right? (or so i've heard). what's it like? prices? etc?
Or ... maybe we can wait until we get to college and be surprised!

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

BlackDragon said:
lol. ten days is a long time, objectsinspace, a long time.
Hey, some of us have to wait half as long again! Returners don't go back until the 16th.

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A

and i get to go back to college this sunday.... ahh the joys of importance

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

And I thought I knew who you were ... actually, I'm pretty sure I still do, so I'm guessing it's safe to say you aren't on O Week?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

... I thought you were from E Block. Your custom title is the same as someone's e-mail in the directory. Then again, maybe you are he and I don't recall seeing your name on the list.

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A

couldnt be more wrong, im sorry sir, you will have to keep guessing

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Well if you're not Aidan, my next guess would be the man from K17 last year.

Mojoman

Interstellar Overdrive
HSC
N/A

who was in k17? you are so wrong i dont even know who u think i am

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Well, I wasn't keen on naming him because if you were him, I doubt you'd appreciate me placing your name all over the interweb as we all know and love him by his surname. Could result in pain for me if you found me out.

Alright, I'm going to go with Matt from Top A balcony last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)