Undergraduate Medicine Interview Practice Questions (1 Viewer)

Medman

HSC
I thought I might start this thread to help those few medicine hopefuls on this forum with regards to interview. If you like what you've read from my responses please check out the workshop I will be running http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=309769

I will mainly be targeting UWS medicine hopefuls however even if you're looking to get into UNSW medicine you can learn something here. If you are looking to get into other medical schools such as BOND, JCU etc. I'm still happy to help.

If you have any questions feel free to post them up. If you want me to have a read of your responses for a specific question please type both up. I will be giving general tips and I will not be held liable for how you perform in your interview (although if you listen to my advice I do not think my advice will be your downfall). I have limited time so I will not be able to analyze all responses and questions but endeavor to answer as many as I can.

First question:
You are a junior doctor in a third world country. You have been put in charge of the night shift. You are alone and a patient suddenly starts hemorrhaging but you don't have enough experience to treat the wound. However, you know the patient will die if you don't do something.

1. What do you do?
2. What if the patient refuses treatment? What do you do then?

Last edited:

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Might as well give this a go.

1. You start shitting yourself & call a colleague immediately. You also try calm the patient down and get them in a comfortable position until the other doctor arrives. If they can't I guess you just try your best with your limited knowledge. Can't really say much else because you didn't specify where the haemorrhage was.
2. You can't to anything. They have autonomy and you have to respect that regardless. Sure you could save their life, but they would definitely sue your ass. With that being pointed out, you did say it was a 3rd world country so you could get away with it without a problem, however why would you undermine someones wishes just because they didn't agree with your own personal morals?

Next question:

1. Why do you want to be a Doctor? (Note: This question is always asked; please don't reply with some shitty cliche' that the interviewers have heard time after time. It gets old!)

Medman

HSC
1. Agreed with your answer of trying to consult someone more experienced. Never be afraid to ask a nurse too, nurses aren't doctors but experienced nurse know hell of a lot and can do a lot if you ask for help. If not then you would try stop the bleeding, fluids, pressure all the basic first aid can be a good response.
2. Debatable, but patient autonomy is no longer an issue when it comes to an emergency situation. You may override autonomy in this case to save the patients life and this is perfectly legal. You do have to justify your actions saying this patient may have been in shock therefore was not in a coherent state of mind to make up his wishes about his treatment.
A simpler answer may be it is morally wrong to not intervene to save a otherwise perfectly healthy human being, along with they may not be in their correct state of mind.

Now anyone want to tackle louielouiee's question?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)