Undergrad USYD COMM + ENG vs UNSW COMM + ENG (1 Viewer)

freeeeee

HSC
Like title says which one is better?

A lot of people tell me UNSW COMM > USYD COMM but they never tell me why or have any solid evidence apart from the blah (better facilities)
So i decided to check it out myself on their websites and also by using topuniversity.com

http://www.topuniversities.com/institution/university-sydney
http://www.topuniversities.com/institution/university-new-south-wales

From that website USYD is 10 ranks better than UNSW for COMM, while only 1 rank behind for Engineering.

Also concerning fees, USYD cost $8800 per year for the course compared to UNSW $9800.

Note: UNSW Fee estimator is very hard to navigate and IMO USYD have done a far better job detailing (layout) the undergrad course, credits and fees associated.

IMO: Transport wise, USYD is better also for the majority of ppl...

EDIT input: btw my family comes from a chinese speaking background and tell me back in China no one has even heard of UNSW, well most ppl recognise USYD, following on they say USYD is better world rank and is more recognised in Asia (possibly where i intend to work in future), this opinion is also highly regarded by my friend's family who comes from Korea, he told me his parents have the same assessment.

Anyways, please help me decide which one is better, input with reference would be much appreciated =D

Thanks.

Last edited:

so_what

HSC
It seems you have already decided on USYD yourself. Everything you wrote up there says how you think USYD is better than UNSW. So go there. In terms of which is better, they aren't really all that different, both are highly regarded by employers as good universities. Go to info days and see which university you feel more comfortable in and will enjoy more.

so_what

HSC
And incidentally, both universities should charge the same which for Commerce/Engineering would be $9792.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
You seem pretty much set on studying at USYD.

I am not doing an accounting major but from what I heard the Accounting staff at USYD are hard to approach. Someone recently posted how they cut off all communication from students during STUVAC. I know at UNSW the lecturers are really approachable. I find the accounting lecturers friendlier than our finance lecturers. Most people I know said if you are going to do an accounting major you are better off doing it at UNSW.

Which major/s are you looking at?

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Various mentions in previous threads:
Better facilties(staff etc..)
Timetables are allowed to be more flexible
Winners for Commerce related competitions from UNSW primarily.
Higher Atar requirement attracts "smarter people" therefore better competition.
Clubs are more "active" relating to finance/accounting/Economics.

To be fair BOS is filled with more UNSW people (especially Commerce) compared to USYD. We have a few successful graduates here working in known firms (such as Seremify) who went to UNSW, which I guess adds to something.

freeeeee

HSC
hmm thanks for the replies guys, ill giv it a good think =D

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Given all of those factors that you have listed, you should go to USyd.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Like title says which one is better?

A lot of people tell me UNSW COMM > USYD COMM but they never tell me why or have any solid evidence apart from the blah (better facilities)
So i decided to check it out myself on their websites and also by using topuniversity.com

http://www.topuniversities.com/institution/university-sydney
http://www.topuniversities.com/institution/university-new-south-wales

From that website USYD is 10 ranks better than UNSW for COMM, while only 1 rank behind for Engineering.

Also concerning fees, USYD cost $8800 per year for the course compared to UNSW $9800.

Note: UNSW Fee estimator is very hard to navigate and IMO USYD have done a far better job detailing (layout) the undergrad course, credits and fees associated.

IMO: Transport wise, USYD is better also for the majority of ppl...

EDIT input: btw my family comes from a chinese speaking background and tell me back in China no one has even heard of UNSW, well most ppl recognise USYD, following on they say USYD is better world rank and is more recognised in Asia (possibly where i intend to work in future), this opinion is also highly regarded by my friend's family who comes from Korea, he told me his parents have the same assessment.

Anyways, please help me decide which one is better, input with reference would be much appreciated =D

Thanks.
social science isn't commerce, UNSW commerce faculty would be ranked higher than the USYD commerce faculty since they always say it's the no.1 business school in Australia

you seem to like USYD more so just go there

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Usyd had always been better than UNSW in world ranking wise ~ but UNSW is commendable for their friendly staff, flexible timetable, better facilities etc. If you must know for world ranking unis in Aus it would be ANU -> UMelb -> USyd. But your heart seems set on Sydney in the first place so why ask if it would be better to go to UNSW? Whatever your choice I wish you good luck and all the best.

freeeeee

HSC
What's your atar? (if you don't mind me asking)

Thanks for the opinions guys, although i do sense a little hate haha, BUT i dont dislike UNSW. These are just what people have told me.
I plan on asking friends who are studying at both Unis to give me advice to make my final decision b4 Jan 4.

A final question though, when they say more flexible timetable is offered at UNSW, does that mean at Usyd i wont be able to choose morning classes and spread my classes or have them together? or is it just UNSW has more classes?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Cannot speak much for UNSW except that it is easier to pick and choose your actual classes. Here at USyd we can only pick which times we are or are not available and the system chooses the classes for us - hence we have limited control over our own timetables. We can only try to work with the system to get our desired timetable. :/

Last edited:

freeeeee

HSC
oh i see, so it will be hard to match with friends taking the same course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)