Undecided on which HSTY course to take.. (1 Viewer)

The_DJ

HSC
I want to do all the history subjects.. but obviously i can't.. so can anyone recommend which is best? I mean im more interested in the actual cultures/people/traditions/majour events rather than simply remembering dates, places etc.. I'm leaning towards 1022 Europe in the High Middle Ages.. but thats purely because the person i spoke to enrolment teaches that subject! Plz help!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I also wanted to do a History that focused on the culture/people/traditions, etc and like urself I didn't just want WHY WW1 or 2 occurred...coz I'm not really interested in politics. That's what I'm doing HSTY 1045. It's modern European History from 1750 to 1914 and focuses on the culture aspects of that particular era. Women/Men, Lifestyles, Sex, etc. There's a good description of it in the Arts handbook :)

are u going into first year at usyd?

hope that helped!

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
The high middle ages one, be careful julies a bitch and has really high and hard expectations, i had her as my tutor last yr...shes awful

actually the mediveil course i took was the least interesting and hardest of all my courses....so id prob reccomend hsty 1045....high cultures used to be a 2nd year subject too

The_DJ

HSC
wow.. thanks for the warning!

i need good marks this year and a terrible tutors not going to help.. but its just that the handbook makes 'high ages' sound so interesting.. but yeah i might look into modern european history.. i'll attend both subject lectures in the first week and see which interests me most..

btw - it's my second year at usyd.. i transferred this year to an arts/com degree and the choices are just overwhelming! i don't know what to do first!

frenchie

HSC
Was this Julie character also the lecturer for the unit? This year its some guy called John Pryor, maybe we've escaped her. Well I'll be doing the HSTY1022 regardless, all other HSTY junior clash with other things.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
Im doing... slightly different history with ASNS 1001 Modern Asian History and Culture 1 and ASNS 1002 Modern Asian History and Culture 2, they still make up the 12 jnr credit points to continue history next year, and they just sound more interesting than all the regular history units.

daniL

HSC
I have picked HSTY 1045, for the first semester, and HSTY 1044 for the second. I know what you mean about wanting to do all the history subjects. :)

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
Nah she was brand new the year i got theer so no shes not likely to be your lecturer, though the lecturers in the handbook are rarely teh ones who'll end up doing your lectures!

Julie is a medevil expert so she takes the tutes!

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
shelley said:
The high middle ages one, be careful julies a bitch and has really high and hard expectations, i had her as my tutor last yr...shes awful

actually the mediveil course i took was the least interesting and hardest of all my courses....so id prob reccomend hsty 1045....high cultures used to be a 2nd year subject too
Yeah. I also had Julie as a tutor, and she has very high expectations. Worse, she makes the tutorials rather boring. They were more about spoonfeeding than any actual discussion. Attempts to raise points were shot down rapidly. The course may be different with this other lecturer, but there's still a chance that it could be repeat itself. The problem was last year's Medieval course was that the content was interesting, but poorly presented. Ended up learning more through supplementary reading.

HSTY 1045 is a good unit.

LazyBoy

HSC
grk_styl said:
I also wanted to do a History that focused on the culture/people/traditions, etc and like urself I didn't just want WHY WW1 or 2 occurred...coz I'm not really interested in politics. That's what I'm doing HSTY 1045. It's modern European History from 1750 to 1914 and focuses on the culture aspects of that particular era. Women/Men, Lifestyles, Sex, etc. There's a good description of it in the Arts handbook :)

are u going into first year at usyd?

hope that helped!
you would be looking for ancient history or anthropology then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)