• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UNC Med (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Why is Newcastle med so much better than, say UNSW or USyd (grad)? What is it about their course that causes the degree to be recognised overseas when the UNSW equivalent is not?

GavBot

I actually have no idea. My careers adviser told me UNC is better, but I'm not sure why.

Any idea when the interview offers for UNC are due out?

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
I heard that UNC med was one of the first unis with PBL (problem based learning) which is what most overseas and successful unis use as a teaching method. UNSW has a wannabe SBL (scenario based learning) that is not as effective as PBL.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Is this why Sydney (GradMed) is considered better than the undergrad program at UNSW, because of PBL?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
apparently UNCW has more up-to-date stuff than the others.. i dont know what it is though
UNCW? Is that like both NSW undergrad med schools? :p (UNC & UNSW)

Delta32

usyd junkie
HSC
-Newcastle is supposed to be more frontline, technology and technique wise.

- Produce doctors that are more in touch with societies/the patients needs and emotions

- Have by far the best PBL

- are meant to be introducing something radical again (as radical as PBL when it was introduced?) in the next year or so, as part of their med course.

- It is faster by a year.

- Has rural placements (people argue that doctors with rural experience identify more with patients).

Delta32

usyd junkie
HSC
Do they during the degree?

I think Newcastles are longer term - they have their own medical campus (rural).

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
UAC guide refers to newcastle as UNCLE

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Newcastle Uni doesnt really have an abbreviation, so i think as long as you make it clear that what you are referring to is Newcastle Uni you should be fine

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I've been using UNC with all my uni dialogue (all the universities that is) and they got it. UNCLE is just lame. After all "Newcasle" is a compound word :p The division is clear.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Any idea when they release the interview offers? Because I'm going overseas and need to make arrangements for alternate times...

edit: I also got interviews at Adelaide and Monash, so they can't overlap (one city per day)

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
News Flash

I just called the Med faculty, and was told that offers are being posted next Tuesday (or thereabouts). Hence, us NSW types will be getting our interview offers (or not) by Friday. Interviews are conducted from mid November to the first week of December, which is really good for us going overseas. The schedule is very tight, and times have been randomly allocated, but I was told that it is possible to request a different time if you are unable to attend at the time issued. That's all I have to say, so...

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)