when do the UMAT results get in?

is a roflcopter
HSC
anyway i hope you beat inasero
he sux :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
aww cmon newb thats not a very nice thing to say about your dad....throw me a friggin bone here ffs

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by babydoll_
wtf you got it already
I don't think he was serious.
UMAT results aren't even out yet.

is a roflcopter
HSC
hmm
so what happens after you get your results
the top 200 get accepted or what?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
anyone who gets above a certain score gets an interview at UNSW or UNCLE
ifyou dont get an interview you are automatically disqualified from Medicine

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
not really the UAI counts as well and if you miss out first time coz of ur UAI shittiness, theres always a second chance when ur real UAI come out.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Just on this note,

Would your chances increase if you had rural bonded preferences? or the workplace one? (third preference), as opposed to the unbonded preference.

(It was in an email sent out a few days ago, preferences due 19th sept)

Saul

*ss
HSC
what happens, is that the uni's take the scores however they want. at UNSW (where i'm applying) Im fairly sure the interviews are based on your UAI prediction, and your umat scores. i think there are something like 400 interviews, for 130 local places. i could be wrong though.

Huy

HSC
N/A
But they would take a look at your actual UAI too, wouldn't they?

I have an estimate of 99
But I know I am a 95+ (theoretically), below 97-98.

If I had 'superior performance' in UMAT, and my estimate was 99, they would accept me for an interview, correct?

Until such time as the UAIs have been released.
(Also, this is going off the assumption that I perform extremely well in the interview)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
thats where the system breaks down i reckon:

u get estimated UAI 99.8, u get top 5% UMAT, ACE the interview
they check your real UAI after they come out, u get 97 or sumthing, but still gets in on a combined score

the same person would not get the chance to show his performance at the interview however, if say he gets an estimate of 96 or something therefore, misses out on the initial interview all together...

correct me if this is totally wrong

Huy

HSC
N/A
That sounds correct to me.
I would love to get into medicine, my situation is as you've described in the first scenario.

High estimate of 99
UMAT results might be 'good/better' than others, etc.
I get asked into first-round interviews, and I ace it.
The outlook is good, until such time as the UAI comes out.

I get 95.45 (for example).

Another person, who was estimated at 96, and had equally 'good' UMAT results, may not be asked for an interview? (I think he/she will be asked, but at a later stage).

Once the second person's UAI comes out, they'll be asked for the interview, seeing as though the estimate was just to make the distinction between 1st round and main round interviews?

Excerpt from a UNSW medicine email.
The following are the main elements of the process of offering places that will occur in January 2004:

1. All ineligible applicants will be removed from consideration (i.e. those who achieved a UAI (or equivalent) of less than 95.00 and those who did not sit an interview).

2. All other applicants will be ranked on the combination of their UAI (or equivalent), UMAT results and interview performance.

3. Commencing with the highest ranked applicant, each applicant will be offered their highest available preference until the quota for each category is filled.

Important Notes
1. As there are separate quotas for each category, you will maximise your chance of being offered a place by being prepared to accept a place in all categories. However, it is important that you do not enter a preference for a category in which you have no intention of accepting a place.

If you enter a preference and you are made an offer in that
category, and subsequently change your mind, your offer will be withdrawn and no further offer will be made in any other category.

2. As the final ranked list will be strictly adhered to in allocating
places, no advantage will be obtained by any particular order of
preference. Therefore you are advised to indicate your preferences precisely in accordance with your personal wishes.

3. If you do not complete the preference form, it will be assumed that you want to be considered for the unbonded category only.

Link to the preference form:

http://notes.med.unsw.edu.au/medicalbonding.nsf/website/Notice :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)