Umat Tutoring (1 Viewer)

MCaristo

HSC
Mate, you are dead right about the practice side of things. There is NO substitute for it, and I don't care what fancy methods any UMAT tuition place offers. No course can turn you into a world beater overnight. Teaching of the technique however, helps you along the way a lot. Let me break it down for you section by section:

Section 1: Practice is one of the important things for this section, but without proper technique, it is very hard to get the accuracy required in the time required. In my experience of teaching kids (i've taught over 400) anyone can do very well if given all the time in the world, but comprehension and logical reasoning questions need good technique so that accuracy doesn't suffer for speed.

Section 2: Practice is far less important in this section. I've seen student after student do heaps of questions and never really question why they are getting the questions wrong and how they can do better. This stems from the fact that 'feelings' are essentially subjective and ACER marks you on what they THINK a 'good doctor' will feel. Therefore, being taught how to tell what ACER wants you to feel is important here.

Section 3: Of all the sections this is the most improved by practice. However, what separates those who get 26/30 to the students that get 29/30 out of 30 (95% of my students got in the 90th percentile or above) is that they know how to get the right answer even when they have no idea what the pattern is. That is where training comes in.

Essentially, it has gotten to the point now that training for the UMAT has become so widespread that you don't do it to get the edge anymore, but you do it so that you are level with everyone esle.

Last edited:

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
well u seem to know what you're talking about, especially with section 2. i was one of those unempathetic superficial soulless kids who kept getting owned time after time when practising that section. luckily the other two made up for it. :D

and you have an awesome last name as well. caristo. so i endorse you.

MCaristo

HSC
Why thankyou ViRtUaL and Lotto :D

By the way, Soars the falcon strong and free ;)

jaaaaay

HSC
michael, don't you feel like you're being ripped off when someone else starts a course nearly identical to yours and makes money from it? xD

but omgsh all of you... 273, 286, 296 percentiles... uai... 99+
someone do my umat exam for me??? =]

---edit---
btw, they blocked your f2f website at our school... o_O

Last edited:

jaaaaay

HSC
but it is handy to.

any of you guys wana give me some excellent advice on how to stop procrastinating? you guys seem to know what you're all doing -.-"

btw, is STAT in any way similar to UMAT? would a umat course help me with stat at all?

MCaristo

HSC
STAT is a very different exam to the UMAT. Some elements are similar but because most UMAT tuition is finely tuned to suit the UMAT test's style you won't find it beneficial. Go through the past papers and I think you'll find it fairly easy.

As for other people starting courses up, I take it as a compliment! It means they know my system works. :D. And yeah, they blocked my site at your school? LOL!

Oh, and I never stop procrastinating. I think time doing nothing is so valuable :) It keeps me sane and happy so that i don't :bomb:
(i just wanted to use that icon :D)

jaaaaay

HSC
is there any way to prepare for stat? there are umat course everywhere but stat... i haven't heard of any...

and is it true they base your interview opportunity on your umat and ESTIMATED uai??? but how do they estimate it?? o_O and what if they estimate it wrong?

--edit---
oh okay... past papers xD thanx michael...

MCaristo

HSC
Not being my field of expertise I couldn't tell you about STAT tutoring colleges. I know some individuals that do it though.

As for estimated UAI, that only UNSW because they carry out their interviews before you even sit the HSC. As for what happens if schools underestimate it...there is a reason why NSBHS gets so few people in compared to NSGHS, and that is because i have been told that NSG estimates all their girls at 100 and my old school always has estimated us lower than we should have. Hughes (principal) estimated me at 98 and if it wasn't for our careers advisor changing our marks many of us wouldn't have gotted first rounds. So yes, it is an advantage to get an artificially high estimate because then you have a foot in the door for an interview.

:D hope that helps.

MCaristo

HSC
LOL, i hope the website design is nice...we paid a mint for it :(

As for my 'one of the very best in the country', I intentionally did that because although I am all but certain I got first in NSW in the UMAT (someone in adelaide beat me) I don't want to put claims that I don't know are 100% true up there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)