UMAT TODAY!! how do u think you went (1 Viewer)

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
cyph to the rescue..
just wondering anyone knwo how many candidates there where this year
and what percentage do u hav to get in each section to make it through?
wat was it like last yr in terms of marking cut offs?

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
with the snail question...
apparently some questions are put in there just as a test, and aren't actually marked..
i dunno something like that . yeah because with that question, any answer could be right.. or maybe its just that. that every answer for that question is correct..
i dunno :\

section 3 was the bad one. yea.. better than last year (omg im a derro - 2 years in a row ha).. because it had more sequeneces stuff and they were easy.. but then i guess if everyone thinks they are easy then it makes no difference for me. i found some of the type 1s , guessed the rest. and guessed all the type 2s.
yea..

Twintip

Originally posted by luigi
with the snail question...
apparently some questions are put in there just as a test, and aren't actually marked..
i dunno something like that . yeah because with that question, any answer could be right..
Yeah fucken hell that pissed me off. I just started the pattern with the snail upright so hopefully that's what they wanted.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
yeah thats what i did. but they cant mark u wrong for starting with a different one.
if they did thats crazy!!!

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hey could someone elaborate on the snail question? what did it involve? im lost here....

Huy

HSC
N/A
yep,
if you look in the information booklet

it says some questions are there just to test you, and it may not count towards anything. lol

Twintip

The one with islands R S T & U better not count because I thought there was no correct answer for that either (I drew a diagram and looked at it for 5 mins at the end of the section). Of course I selected a token answer at the end but... yeah.

The snail one was these 5 pentagons with a picture of a snail in each and you had to arrange them in a pattern and select the middle one as your answer. Basically the snail just rotated around so in theory you could start the rotation at any point.

Huy

HSC
N/A
with R S T U

i chose the one with:
X and Y, but not Z

or X and Z, but not Y?

it was the XZ one i think.
i drew it out too,

unless i read the "NOT possible" bit wrong
im not sure, but i had "XZ" for one island and that clicked in my head with one of the answers, maybe b)

Twintip

Yeah it was 'not possible'. I found every scenario to be possible. The thing that made the difference for me was when it said something like "species Z is not on islands R or S" or something, I took that as meaning they could possibly be on T or U. If they were definitely on T or U then the answer was easy. So I answered whatever that one was (I forget now).

Actually now that I think about it I was probably wrong. But then again I can't fully remember the question so I'll have to rely on the fact that it was one of those bullshit questions. :)

Last edited:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
i think i got the answer to that

it took me like 10 minutes in section III to realise that the shapes with the numbers in em contained perfect squares and stuff

and I SAW FRIGID hahaha

D

d00d

hey so how many of u guys did prep courses? i didn't and struggled, guessed most of section 3 and the last five questions of section 1.

so did the prep course help? my friends that did dallas said section 3 was so easy thx to dallas, maybe i'll do it next year.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
i didnt do a prep course, but quite a few of my friends did. they gave me a few tips and hints which helped a bit.

my parents tried to make me do one but i didnt. i think its a bit off, i mean, theyre testing your reasoning skills and personality traits, so if youre prepared, its just not.. YOU. but by all means, do one. my friends said they were good.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by Twintip
The one with islands R S T & U better not count because I thought there was no correct answer for that either (I drew a diagram and looked at it for 5 mins at the end of the section). Of course I selected a token answer at the end but... yeah.
Yeah that was the 1 i guessed in section 1 too... argh... spent like 5 min working on that qs... >_<

i thought all the options were possible

island R had none of X,YorZ
S can have only Z
T can have X,Y,Z or X,Y
U can have X,Z, or just X

which covered all the options???
bah! its all over now neway

Originally posted by d00d
hey so how many of u guys did prep courses? i didn't and struggled, guessed most of section 3 and the last five questions of section 1.

so did the prep course help? my friends that did dallas said section 3 was so easy thx to dallas, maybe i'll do it next year.
i didn't do a prep course but most of my friends did though, i know some1 who apparently did 2 courses :rolleyes: . most said that the prepcourses didn't help... others said it did... i spent the night before googling umat lol, which sorta helped i guess.

Last edited:

Saul

*ss
HSC
i wasn't a fan of prep courses either, but you gotta realise, that it does give others an advantage, so why should they have an advantage over you?

truth be told, didn't really help much.

muldersgun

HSC
i sat there for 1.5 hours before the thing actually started thinking damn, I should have taken some Codral! So to anybody who was sitting next a sniffing and sneezing wreck. I'm sorry.....

section 1 and 2 were alright, 3 was screwed. And prep courses didn't help too much with this years UMAT. I heard that UMAT 2003 was especially experimental.

chunder

HSC
Section 2....there is no way you could pass it if you had a dick

Section 3... do type 1 questions and guess answers for type 2 shapes making sure you don't put two similar consecutive answers

Section 1... if you can read you should do okay

nerdd

I didn't realise we had to read fast until after the first section so missed a few of them, finished the 2nd one early and I could do most of the section 3 except the number ones (which i found stupid cause usually im' good at number things...?)

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Every time i stretched my legs in the test, i kicked the chair infront. I feel sorry for her cos she lost concentration everytime...

So if you're a girl and got your chair kicked a few times in the test, i'm sorry. It was probably me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)