Umat Test (1 Viewer)

schnookims

*Premium Princess Member*
HSC
Hi umm i was wondering (even though i highly doubt it) but is there any sight that has past papers for the UMAT test?

Oh also, would the people who've done the UMAT test in the past and got into med, would you say that it's hard or easy? and would you recommend going to one of those like tutoring places for UMAT?

Does anyone know of anyone who got into med without studying or getting 'tutored' for the UMAT test?

nahian

HSC
From what I knoe ACER does not release past papers

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ACER sells past papers dun they?

and its not tooo hard but tat was back in my day...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
schnookims said:
Does anyone know of anyone who got into med without studying or getting 'tutored' for the UMAT test?
I have a friend from class of '05 that easily got into med, didn't get any coaching for any of his subjects or for UMAT. He got a UAI of 100. He's a very bright guy as he was dux for most of his years of high school, prior to his HSC year.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Riviet said:
I have a friend from class of '05 that easily got into med, didn't get any coaching for any of his subjects or for UMAT. He got a UAI of 100. He's a very bright guy as he was dux for most of his years of high school, prior to his HSC year.
Wow! What school did he go to?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
He went to Sydney Grammar, now doing a med course at U of Melbourne.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Nope, also U of Melbourne is more prestigious in med.

felixcthecat

HSC
do u need to take a lot of time to study for UMAT? the question samples seem more like an IQ test than anything else =.=

and i suppose you're talking about daniel riviet? i just learned he went to melb yesterday lolz

edit: ohh and is Uni of Melbourne more prestigious in med? no wonder so mny of the smart nerds went there ^0^

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Yep, that's him, he's back in Sydney at the moment though as it's easter holidays now. He's on scholarship too.

felixcthecat

HSC
yea.. quite a few ppl are bac in sydney from Melbourne...

do u happen to be from Grammar? lol... i wish i knew smart ppl a yr above in other schools ^^

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Nah, I don't go to Grammar, but I've known him for a long time, our parents are good friends. Anyway, we should keep to the main subject of this thread.

felixcthecat

HSC
yupyup.. mhmm i heard some 05'ers say that the tution places are a big waste of money and time... but then i guess it's different for everyone, if you're smart then you don't need any tution, while if you're not too confident, maybe a few hundred dollars is well-spent on a morality boost?

schnookims

*Premium Princess Member*
HSC
yeah because the questions seem to me as more of general knowlegde and common sense and i dont see how paying hundreds of dollars for tuition can help you in these areas.

Also, i reckon the whole idea of tuition for UMAT is unfair as the whole point it was introduced was to see if you as a person can suit the job for medicine...if people can just pay and learn how to past the test then doesnt that make the test useless?

Well thats my idea anyways...

nahian

HSC
I think the main aim of some of these courses is just to try and actually familiarise a student with the type of questions, the format, what they are looking for, what the sections test and perhaps tips on how to approach questions
However, I rkn u need first hand exp. from other pppl and sharing it with you...diff perspectives always work
SOme courses have also researched alot into specifics.... which can help, I mean if it gives you an 'edge', why not?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Riviet said:
Nope, also U of Melbourne is more prestigious in med.
HAHA honestly did u think med school is like high school?

I wonder wat u think u get for prestige (no im srs!!... usually its just a famous alumni!... ) ... better lecturers? better tutors? better reputation? better resources? ..

UMelb Med is famed in the med circuits for the geekiest cohort tho... and yet they have produced sub-par practitioners... so be warned the perils of "prestige"..
medicine is nothing lik other uni courses... the cohorts are generally very bright..
e.g. james cook uni.. in townsville... .. id joke about everything else there.. but their med course.. =(

med schools are about self-directed learning ( tats right STUDY by ure self.. and the topics are confusing and frustrating..) .. and because of this... u pretty much go where ever u think suits u.. some have more contact hours..

u could take UMelb if u didnt perform well in the UMAT tho.. cos they dun realli consider it if u get UAI 100.... the question is. .. how many other offers did they get? did they get all their QLD, NSW, SA, WA preferences?

mabbe tat's why they chose Melb.. im not shitting UMelb.. they are good.. i know ppl there.. but ure friend's reason sounds suspicious.. (technically ... UWA then UMelb are the most sciency course during the start ... and Newcastle being the most clinical [i.e practical] relevant)...

so yes
high UAI about 99.85 will guarantee u at least UMelb... or with 99.9+ Usyd MBBS/BSc even if u dun do great at UMAT..

if u do well at UMAT.. then u have the option of interviewing at all other schools...
then u are eligible for more places

How u perform in medical school and where u work will determine ure speciality... e.g GP, Physician, Surgeon, etc.... not what school u goto.

be warned.. and i speak from experience....before u start u will think the that Medicine is 100% science .. its not.. its an artform its bout 60% science and 40% art ... its all very complex.. and u need good judgement and skills

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)