Umat questions from today (1 Viewer)

Mystienu

HSC
hey guys.

I did the umat today and i just want to have some sort of indication of how i went in section two.

Why did the girl respond the way she did to her mother, was it because she wanted to make her angry? or distance her self away from her family?

Wat manner was her boyfriend making the proposal? clumsy or pragmatic?

And in the other question, was the girl hostile towards the aunt or envious?

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
You didn't think 'shrewd and calculating'?
He said 'Yes, she will. Me.' - he seemed to really be measuring out his words, didn't he? Ah, well - It's over now.

jennylim

HSC
i thought clumsy and whatever the other word was...because the son thought that his mum hated grandma saying stuff like that. but i was really confused.

oh and i said dallas wanted to distance herself from her mum. anyone else think that was a pretty funny stab at dallas gibson? and did anyone else think dallas was a guy and assume it was homosexual? my friends did, haha.

Mystienu

HSC
lol now i'm really confused...

angry... or clumsy... or calculating?

i know that i shouldn't fuss over it because what's done can not be undone, .... but i just want to mentally prepare myself for my result and have some sorta indication relative to how i went....

Coz section two is all about one's own personal interpretation and you can get every single question wrong without realizing it.

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
i thought it was clumsy - only because noone was expecting it, and they her grandma was like "you'd make a good wife one day" then all of a sudden, hes like "yes me.. ive asked her to marry me"

i dont know whether she was trying to distance herself or suck up - she was sucking up, until the last part where she was like "only its going to be easier without me looking after you and (her sister) and youre gnna have to look after yourself" arg, i put sucking up, but the more i think about it, it seems like distancing herself.

Those questions were dodge...

i think i put that openly and secretly answer for that aunt question...

What did you get for the little girl asking her aunty about uncle william?
--- was she annoyed by her presence? or did she not want to talk about his death?

Mystienu

HSC
i don't know if there's something wrong with me... but the more i think about my answers for question two.... the more i feel like i answered everything wrong.

tkdwhiz1188

HSC
Why did the girl respond the way she did to her mother, was it because she wanted to make her angry? or distance her self away from her family?
I chose 'to make her mom angry'

Wat manner was her boyfriend making the proposal? clumsy or pragmatic?
I remember crossing out 'clumsy' i think i chose a more positive ans...

And in the other question, was the girl hostile towards the aunt or envious?
Definately not hostile...but i dun remember wat i put.

On the whole, I found the paper really hard! I did medentry n umatology...but still found S3 hard. I thought it waz harder than both.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Was this the one that was being bullied by her friends - and the mum felt helpless? I think there was an option on 'protecting her emotions' or something like that - I picked that, as the girl seemed quite cagey about what she wanted to say. I don't know anymore. I am starting to doubt every answer I shaded.

Hostile? I again picked another option. More resigned. The aunt got really fired up, whilst the other was obviously unhappy, but saying ' you know, no point in sitting in the house, if I don't have a dress, etc.' - even though she obviously wouldn't have minded going. She seemed resigned, I think. However, like I said - the more I talk about these, the less sure I am about them.

the more i feel like i answered everything wrong.
Me too, but as long as you stuck to your guns in the test, take heart.

Mystienu

HSC
peter... no we are talking bout the question about dallas and her reaction to her mothers objection to the marriage proposal.

yeah... the thing bout section 2 is that..... you can argue certain answers.... it's just difficult knowing what they classify as right... it's just not black and white unlike section 3.

and when i was doing section two... i got kinda annoyed coz heaps of Dallas' questions related to how a health professional should respond to certain situations... and his material... barely touched on the type of question found in this year....

-edit-
the only reason why i didn't put the choice of 'to make her mother angry' was because i thought she already was by the tone of her voice. 'You are already seventeen!!!!'
and why would the girl want to make her mother angry when she wants to gain her acceptance in marrying her fiance?

Last edited:

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Oh right. It's the whole Dallas-girl thing that threw me off. I'm sorry, I don't remember. You did Dallas, eh? Yeah, I found the same thing with his material - I guess the 'health professional' was a major constituent of UMAT a while back. However general practise generally leads you to the same conclusions.
Yes... S2 was interesting.

Mystienu

HSC
yeah dallas helped me heaps with section 3.
i don't think tutoring works for section 1 or 2... tho. you either have the emotional iq, and logical reasoning... or you don't.
It feels so surreal now that the umat is over.....

Spiral

HSC
In s1, the one about the melting ice caps confused me, I understood the text but couldnt connect it to the anwers arggghhh!!

The Taxes and kenesis one was easy.....

Light switch one, wa'ever....... cant remember any more...

veridis

droog
HSC
the ice caps thing was stupid
half the answers introduce shipping that wasnt mentioned in the article and the other half were just wrong

Spiral

HSC
veridis said:
the ice caps thing was stupid
half the answers introduce shipping that wasnt mentioned in the article and the other half were just wrong
^^ yeh, I thought the answers were wrong too!! Ah well....

lol, wut about the ballaster water and the bilige water hahaha, I think I got the bilige water one but not the first one..... maaaaaaaaan

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That question was a nightmare last year too. We argued about it for days, and in the end nobody was able to figure out what the correct answers were...no wonder ACER recycled it.

Mystienu

HSC
i wonder how people get marks like 99 98 98.....
those people are genuises....

m111

Define "cynical"
HSC
Q. (Mystienu) "Why did the girl respond the way she did to her mother?"
A. to distance her self away from her mother. She was not overly rude (to hurt her), she didnt protect (or... "support" was it? I cant remember), but she took a very firm stance that she'd to everything that her mother had just stipulated SANS a reply to the "she's my daughter" comment, and put great emphasis on her independence

Q. (Mystienu) "Wat manner was her boyfriend making the proposal?"
I said "pragmatic" - meaning matter-of-fact, dictatorial, officious or meddlesome.

Q. "And in the other question, was the girl hostile towards the aunt or envious?"
... I don't remember this question at all. I don't know what that means... :p

Q. "What did you get for the little girl asking her aunty about uncle william?"
I chose the answer regarding familial familiarity :)P) - she knew the story, but wanted to hear it again... which is something she'd obviously done before. I can't remember the other options to further justify my claim

Q. (Spiral) "Light switch - which situation is NOT possible"
Light switch could NOT be A. "warm and lit" - as globe only became warm AFTER being turned on, and thus the first switch must have turned it on

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)