UMAT Preparation Advice (1 Viewer)

superstar12

HSC
I think acer is the best thing to do. After Acer, i'd go with medentry just because they have more students and invest more money into their material.
What about Medstart? They have proper classes - are they any good?

bangladesh

HSC
Medstart seems decent tbh, but everything is overpriced
yea, i recommend medentry because i think the price is more reasonable than the other ones (online package only).

Medstart to me seems a bit over the top.. Some of their section 1 questions are much much harder than actual umat which is kind of pointless

superstar12

HSC
Is it worth getting both Medentry and Medstart to maximise my chances? I would have so much regret if I didn't perform as well as I could.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Is it worth getting both Medentry and Medstart to maximise my chances? I would have so much regret if I didn't perform as well as I could.
Just because you do both programs doesn't necessarily mean your chances will be maximised.

For one, do you have the money to spend on it? Second of, will you use the resources and be committed so that it has value?

superstar12

HSC
Just because you do both programs doesn't necessarily mean your chances will be maximised.

For one, do you have the money to spend on it? Second of, will you use the resources and be committed so that it has value?
So what kind of stuff should I be doing to maximise my chances? I'm definitely very motivated, so I'll be using all the resources and doing all the practice that I can.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
So what kind of stuff should I be doing to maximise my chances? I'm definitely very motivated, so I'll be using all the resources and doing all the practice that I can.
Be wise and spend money on the one you can. Don't buy everything. And practice your timing, of course.

Medman

HSC
Practice and understanding what you're doing wrong will increase your chances greatly.

Mrmellow

HSC
Sorry about my ignorance, I am new here. I am doing my UMAT in 2015 (and HSC). Erm, how exactly does the UMAT work.

Mrmellow

HSC
I have looked at a past paper. Sorry my question was too vague. I know the umat consists of 3 parts the IQ reasoning part, understanding people and an englishy problem-solving part (sort of like Australian math comp logic questions 5-9). What I meant in saying how it works was concerned with how the marks were added and the people given their percentiles. Acer is pretty evasive about its marking scheme (??).

Plus, I am considering to do Medentry as prep. Now, I myself am against the very notion of such courses (whatever they can be classified as), UMAT is meant to seek people with ability not just whose parents can shell out copious amounts off money for their purposes. But, I really want to get into med in general (and neurosurgery to be particular), and I don't want to risk it (from my research, a common dilemma for people in a similar situation).

Ok, plus I more thing. I proposed this to my parents a while back (year ~10ish, actually last year) after doing the brain bee challenge thing, I more like nagged them about it. But, now they are really committed to letting me have the money to do it. Pretty much everyone I talked to said they did medentry. Thanks for the responses. A quick reply would be nice, I am deciding today...

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I have looked at a past paper. Sorry my question was too vague. I know the umat consists of 3 parts the IQ reasoning part, understanding people and an englishy problem-solving part (sort of like Australian math comp logic questions 5-9). What I meant in saying how it works was concerned with how the marks were added and the people given their percentiles. Acer is pretty evasive about its marking scheme (??).

Plus, I am considering to do Medentry as prep. Now, I myself am against the very notion of such courses (whatever they can be classified as), UMAT is meant to seek people with ability not just whose parents can shell out copious amounts off money for their purposes. But, I really want to get into med in general (and neurosurgery to be particular), and I don't want to risk it (from my research, a common dilemma for people in a similar situation).

Ok, plus I more thing. I proposed this to my parents a while back (year ~10ish, actually last year) after doing the brain bee challenge thing, I more like nagged them about it. But, now they are really committed to letting me have the money to do it. Pretty much everyone I talked to said they did medentry. Thanks for the responses. A quick reply would be nice, I am deciding today...
No one knows

I'd go with medentry deluxe package

youngsky

poof
HSC

Hey, I was in a pretty similar position to you back then, what with brain bee state finals and all. IMO if you're serious about med then the cost of medentry and the like is just a small speck compared to the extremely rewarding experience you might potentially get from med. After all, UMAT tutoring at the very least gives you practice material, so even if you don't find face to face lessons useful, you're gonna see some kind of improvement if any at all.

Mrmellow

HSC
How does the UMAT score and ATAR work together to get you to medicine? Say if your get an ATAR of 99.7, what percentile in UMAT would you need to get to med?

Medman

HSC
How does the UMAT score and ATAR work together to get you to medicine? Say if your get an ATAR of 99.7, what percentile in UMAT would you need to get to med?
UMAT is a threshold for some universities and some universities use it for ranking. It varies university to university. I suggest you actually do more research on the career itself than do research for UMAT. I know of a friend who was adamant he wanted neurosurgery from his undergraduate course but now has switched to doing IB. He is still completing his PHD in neurosurgery but as you can see things can change. It is important to know in basics what a career entails before jumping to the conclusion of doing it. Most doctors have said to me medicine is about excluding specialties rather than choosing a specialty you like which I find is quite disheartening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)