Ulysses (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
gloria_b said:
Has anyone read it?
which one? are we talking Homerian or Joycean?

Homerian: got the Fagle's translation of the Odyssey at home. nice and lyrical.

Joycean: gave up on page 2. :p

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Frigid said:
which one? are we talking Homerian or Joycean?

Homerian: got the Fagle's translation of the Odyssey at home. nice and lyrical.

Joycean: gave up on page 2. :p
James Joyce one, i gave up by page 10! I've tried to read it about 5 times now. The first time i re read the first two pages twice. It's so confusing...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
maybe u should read it alongside a study guide (or some form of annotated explanation).

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Frigid said:
maybe u should read it alongside a study guide (or some form of annotated explanation).
I will when i have time and can afford it :)

Stream of consiouness is too confusing for me :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
gloria_b said:
Stream of consiouness is too confusing for me :p
go read something easy. like angela's ashes if you're into the irish thing, or aeneid if you're into the whole epic journey thing.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Frigid said:
go read something easy. like angela's ashes if you're into the irish thing, or aeneid if you're into the whole epic journey thing.
I have no time to read... the only reason i tried to read Ulysses was because everyone kept telling me how good it was!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
gloria_b said:
I have no time to read... the only reason i tried to read Ulysses was because everyone kept telling me how good it was!
ahhh i see - "HSC: 2005". g'luck. :p

*goes back to reading his Richard Beasley novels and law books*

miaomiao

HSC
N/A
I've read bits of it... really HARD! But I liked some of the images it conjured up particularly at the beginning with it's description of the irish "snot green sea". Ha!

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
The Joyce one is fucking ridiculous. I have trudged through it, but seeing as I dont comprehensively know every intimate detail of Irish history and culture, most of it went straight over my head.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
:(

While Ulysses does require some effort to properly appreciate, it is by no means impossible. One of my very favourite books. An endlessly open source of meaning.

This usually isn't mentioned, but it is also a very funny book, when you get into it. Jokes abound, as do elements of almost every genre.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Frigid said:
Why would you read something that takes a study guide just as big to understand? Isnt the whole point of reading to enjoy yourself while you learn?

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Literary responsibility compels me to read it.. one day. I wonder if there's any way to make it an easier ride. Pre-requisite texts perhaps.

Last edited:

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
The book is only impossible to read if you read it and look for some deeper spiritual meaning and insist on working out what every single phrase could possibly mean. Taking it at face value, it's quite an accessible text.

X

xeuyrawp

miss_b said:
Has anyone read it?
I don't think anyone has. edit: Anyone who says they have are either a lier or too motivated.

I read about 40 pages, and decided to tell myself that that was one of the best efforts of all time.

daniL

HSC
Gregor Samsa said:
:(

While Ulysses does require some effort to properly appreciate, it is by no means impossible. One of my very favourite books. An endlessly open source of meaning.

This usually isn't mentioned, but it is also a very funny book, when you get into it. Jokes abound, as do elements of almost every genre.
I agree. I've read it and I enjoyed it. It does take time to read, and some parts you may need to read a few times, but it's worth it. I'm glad you brought up the fact that's it funny. I laughed quite a bit; something which I wasn't expecting from what everyone had said about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)