ULYSSES by James Joyce (1 Viewer)

lazybum

HSC
N/A
can anyone explain to me why this is a penguin classic? it could be that i'm only at the beginning, but what are the characters meant to represent, and in each context what position do they fulfill? there is no explanation, and i really don't understamd Joyce's English! Some books are way up the sophistication ladder, and this novel containing olde English def. does not go up my alley!

anybody who has read the novel fancy giving me a quick summation? thanks!!!

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Ulysses is generally regarded as the greatest novel of the twentieth century, hence it being a 'Classic'.

Personally, I haven't read it yet (Working towards it..Only read A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man and Dubliners.), but a couple of things that could clarify it somewhat.

-The plot relates the happenings of 16th June 1904 in Dublin, primarily involving the Blooms, and Steven Daedalus (From Portrait..)
-Each of the chapters/'episodes' in the text have parallels in Homer's The Odyssey.
-Much of the writing utilises both stream-of-consciousness and stylistic infection, so that the text reflects the thought processes of each character, often hijacking the authorial prose in order to convey them more fully. As such, while the writing may seem like gibberish, it actually isn't.
-A variety of writing and narrative styles are used throughout.

Hopefully that helps, but I'd advise you to press on. Will add to this when I've actually read it. :p

Last edited:

lazybum

HSC
N/A
thanks Samsa. Though i didn't know that this dedalus hunk was from 'A portrait of an artist.' thought that they were seperate novels. is it advisable that i read that first then??

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by lazybum
thanks Samsa. Though i didn't know that this dedalus hunk was from 'A portrait of an artist.' thought that they were seperate novels. is it advisable that i read that first then??
It isn't mandatory, but reading Portrait is advisable, both to gain understanding of the character, and because it's an excellent book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)