Uhm.. research? (1 Viewer)

JWiss

a.k.a Mr Awesome
HSC
Hey people,

I've not really research any poets.. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I've got about 2500 words and the overriding theme for my poetry is Retreat From The Global, my EE1 area of study. What am I supposed to say when it comes to mentioning research?

shimmy&shine

HSC
I'm doing Retreat from the Global too. I absolutely utterly love the course!

Well the syllabus outlines that we have to do 'rigorous research', for both form and subject matter.

Firstly -subject matter
There is so much too say on this one. Too many people too mention. Have you studied any theoretical perspectives on globalisation and 'Retreat from the Global' at all? There are lots to mention, but then again you must have you used them in your work? Some way or another, they must of influenced you. But because there is not much time left, you have to do this backwards. What I mean by this is that you go do some research or light reading, and find people that back up and substantiate your major work. There are a diversity of perspectives on a wide scope of aspects of globalisation. Go do some reading on this. 'Globalisation'. I'll help you start off, let's say Stuart Hall (I'm not sure if I'm going to get in trouble for this, but I want to help), read a few chapters from his book. Underline the
basic ideas, link them to your work. Therefore in your Reflection Statement you can say 'lalalal was done to convey Retreat from the Global, and the whatever meaning conveyed is underscored in the sociology theories of lalala, that thus defines the boundaries of my work lalala, etc.' sorry for the 'lalala', but you get my point. Research is an ongoing systemtatic process, you can't jump the line, you only achieve the next step when you fulfill the preceding step. Alright, so this is your subject matter research.

Form
But, you specified that you haven't research any poets, so go find some!
I acutally can't believe you are doing ee2 poetry, and you don't read poetry. I mean you must of. To have any sort of poetry appreciation and understanding of the form. But anyway, go read published, quality (I stress quality) poetry by well0known poets. You don't have time to uncover the lost treasure poets specifically on you topic, you have to get to the point. You have to indicate research into the form. That is highlighted mainly through reading poetry. Go find an anthology, I'm guessing you would want contemporary poetry, and read read read. When something hits you, you write their name down, deconstruct it, thoroughly understand how it has achieved whateve hit you, then mention them in your rs. You might have to change aspects of you MW accordingly.

So the bottomline is, you are definitely not going to say 'I have failed to research into the areas of the poetry form', but rather you are going to start cramming now! I read a poem called 'Globalisation' the other day. It was in a Poets Union Inc anthology. You may be interested. Otherwise why don't you try Alden Nowlan or Peter Porter? (Not because they are related to the themes of your Major Work, just cause they are oh so good!)

The poets I'll be definietly be mentioning in my Reflection Statement are Sylvia Plath, Ted Hughes, Anne Sexton, Langston Hughes, John Ashbery, TS Eliot just because they directly influenced my works. Even though i love, ket's say Les Murrary, Robert Gray or E. Bishop, because they haven't shaped my work in a major degree, I won't mention them.

So go read some poetry. If you're really stuck, then i suggest you get (my fav anthology) 'Staying Alive', and go to a certain chapter (there's a whole section perfect for you), I think it's called 'My People' and enjoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)