UAI Scaling (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
These scaling figures are based on the courses with at least more than 5000 students in a year (except English and Mathematics Extension courses, when scaling up is imminent).

Note:
These numbers are measured by magnitude (size), not apparent marks or integers, so if you study Mathematics (not General) you will not apparently get exactly extra 2 marks.

The scaling largely depends on the nubmer of students. If there is an influx of students studying a specific course, e.g General Mathematics and Buisness Studies, scaling may be lowered to weed out students who do are not as dedicated.
You will only recieve positive scaling if you pass that course.
You will not recieve negative scaling if you are within a top position of the course you are studying.

English Extension 2:
+4​
Mathematics Extension 2:
+4​
English Extension 1:
+3​
Mathematics Extension 1:
+3​
Mathematics:
+2​
Physics:
+2​
Economics:
+2​
Chemistry:
+2​
English Advanced:
+2​
Biology:
+1​
Studies of Religion 1 (SOR1):
+1​
Ancient History:
-​
Legal Studies:
-​
Drama:
-​
Business Studies:
-1​
English as Second Language (ESL):
-1​
Information Technology (IT):
-1​
Information Processes & Technology (IPT):
-1​
PDHPE:
-1​
English Standard:
-2​
General Mathematics:
-2​

Italics indicate new additions

Measure your scaling with your courses, provided it is listed here:

e.g

English Standard:
-2​
Mathematics:
+2​
Information Processes & Technology (IPT):
-1​
Physics:
+2​
Chemistry:
+2​
Mathematics Extension 1:
+3
------------​
Total magnitude of scaling :
+7​

Any errors please correct me.

Last edited:

lil_miss

HSC
um, what about PE, modern history and religion? do they recieve scalings?
and what do you mean by 'pass' ? pass the average made by the students doing the subject in the hsc? im confused.. sorry.
what happens then if you don't pass, for example, maths extension 1?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
lil_miss said:
um, what about PE, modern history and religion? do they recieve scalings?
and what do you mean by 'pass' ? pass the average made by the students doing the subject in the hsc? im confused.. sorry.
what happens then if you don't pass, for example, maths extension 1?
Sorry, PDHPE scales down, good thing I dropped it early.
Sorry, no word on Modern History, but I believe the 2 Unit version of religion does scale up I think about +2, but I cant confirm the scaling factor.

hen123

HSC
what about software design and development or accounting(TVET)

A l

HSC
N/A
Scaling changes every year. Hence, I question the source of your data and the reliability of that source. If this data was obtained indirecly (e.g. calculated) from sources I would also question how they were determined.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I have no idea where you got those figures from, nor do I understand what any of it really means. It doesn't seem like it tells you much if anything at all.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I think you average out your aligned marks from each subject (ie work out your UAI if all your subjects were not scaled at all), then add this to the total scaling bonus of your subjects. But this is just a very wild guess.

Last edited:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
I would be very interested in how he got these numbers.
The data was obtained from an Asian conference, and the scaling was listed as arrows, a down arrow indicates negative scaling, an up arrow indicates positive scaling. So I used numbers for convenience, however as I said,
"These numbers are measured by magnitude (size), not apparent marks or integers, so if you study Mathematics (not General) you will not apparently get exactly extra 2 marks."

The scaling is measured in magnutide, by size

SoulSearcher said:
I would be very interested in how he got these numbers.
Again, it is measured in magnitude ...

Riviet said:
I think you average out your aligned marks from each subject (ie work out your UAI if all your subjects were not scaled at all), then add this to the total scaling bonus of your subjects. But this is just a very wild guess.
No ..

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Asian conference??!!! Guess what buddy, asians tend to make up the most bullcrap myths about scaling. All that information looks totally wrong. First of all English Standard and Advanced have an equal "magnitude" of scaling and secondly, everyone knows that Mathematics Extension 2 has a much higher "magnitude" of scaling than English Extension 2. Also, scaling changes every year, so the "magnitude" of scaling between each course will differ every year....

helper

HSC
N/A
I really question the usefulness of this, as your position in the subject effects the amount of scaling and as said above it changes each year.

So try and put the number of marks advantage for the average in a subject is fairly meaningless. But then statistics can be used to show anything.

zangetsu.xo

BANGSAT LOOO
anywhere with a bowl of rice and chopsticks in han
HSC
say you do extension japanese but don't do terribly well and only get average-y marks say... 75-80%.
would that scale you up because it's an extension even though you weren't great or would thy leave it alone??

oh and is japanese extension scaled higher than english extension 1??

thanks!

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
80% in an extension language course will probably turn into something much nicer after scaling and moderation, depending of course on your (and other's) performance in the external and your rank in your class...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
zangetsu.xo said:
say you do extension japanese but don't do terribly well and only get average-y marks say... 75-80%.
would that scale you up because it's an extension even though you weren't great or would thy leave it alone??

oh and is japanese extension scaled higher than english extension 1??

thanks!
more than 5000 students in a year (except English and Mathematics Extension...)
... sorry, Japanese Extension isn't there ...

karoooh

HSC
About the scaling information on the main site - Out of curiosity, where was it obtained from?

Also, will the 2004 and/or 2005 scaling be available soon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)