uai question (1 Viewer)

4jess7lov

HSC
heaps of ppl say as long as you are ranked 1 or 2 or there abouts in a good school then it doesnt matter how you go in the externals...i dont understand this? dnt we all keep our own external marks...and if we do bad our internal goes down even if we are 1st??

HSC
many people say that if you are ranked 1st you will get the person who goes 1st in your externals mark rather then your own... i don't think it actually happens though anymore.

dolbinau

HSC
If it doesn't happen, then how do you get rewarded for coming first in the assessment? It is worth 50% too. It makes sense if you get the highest mark.

Now, If you are ranked 1 basically your HSC exam mark will be your overall mark (assuming it's the highest mark). So yes, it does matter how well you go in the exams - more so than the actual school assessments IMO, but if you are high ranking and are 'good' then you can be confident :p>

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
well its abit more complicated i think.

cause i know how ur suppose to be brought up in marks if u r ranked 1 in internals but i think it only goes to an extent depending on gap and how many people beat u etc but aint sure

Lordie

HSC
Indeed. Ranking in the internal examinations, is important, however the INTERNAL marks are not. The rank indicates which external marks you will get to replace your Internal marks. So Say John is rank 1, Tom is rank 2, and Sally is rank 3 in Modern History. In the exam, Sally gets the top mark(95), John gets the second best (93) and Tom gets third best (90).

Because John was ranked first, for his internal mark, he will get Sally(the person who came first in the external exams) mark. So he keeps his external mark (93) and then gets 95 as his internal mark, leaving him with an average of 94. Sally will get her external mark (95), but her internal mark won't be 95, it'll be scaled down using the stupid UAC formula, to give her her mark. Heh. But it'll be close to 92 or so, as she finished rank 3 over the year...and the top 3 people did well in the external exams.

Get it? :p

4jess7lov

HSC
cheers lordie...werid q but what if two ppl tie 1st..which i did in 3 subjects...is it the average or what??

Lordie

HSC
Well I tied first in one subject as well. To put it simply, you can't actually 'tie' in the eyes of the BoS. Your school(or maybe somewhere else) would have done a count-back system. So maybe there was a 0.01% difference, that makes the gap between first and second.

I was 0.02% behind the guy that beat me in Biology, heh. D'oh!

m00

HSC
what happens if there is a huge gap between 1st and second?
like 30 marks or so different

dolbinau

HSC
30 Marks isn't very specific, % would be better.

Lordie

HSC
Then when they do the scaling, if the person who was coming first doesn't come first, the person who did come first will have their internal mark a long way behind what their external mark was. I'm not sure if they keep the entire 30 mark gap, but they do ensure a sufficient gap is left, based on the marks achieved throughout the year. Not entirely sure on the system, because it's so complex...

shakky15

HSC
Lordie said:
Then when they do the scaling, if the person who was coming first doesn't come first, the person who did come first will have their internal mark a long way behind what their external mark was. I'm not sure if they keep the entire 30 mark gap, but they do ensure a sufficient gap is left, based on the marks achieved throughout the year. Not entirely sure on the system, because it's so complex...
dont they have this process where if ur internal moderated mark and your external mark are more that 10% different, they treat it as some sort of discrepant and undertake some investiogationing? i doubt they would maintain such a gap and simply take the average..

4jess7lov

HSC
what if two ppl tie 1st..which i did in 3 subjects...is it the average or what??

Lordie

HSC
Lordie said:
Well I tied first in one subject as well. To put it simply, you can't actually 'tie' in the eyes of the BoS. Your school(or maybe somewhere else) would have done a count-back system. So maybe there was a 0.01% difference, that makes the gap between first and second.

Hehe, that's the answer to that question Jess.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Lordie said:

Unortunately this is not the case. It is possible to have equal ranking. The BOS only takes whole numbers for assessment marks from teachers.

In equally ranked cases, e.g. Person A and B are ranked first in a subject, the moderated assessment mark will be the average of the 2 highest external marks. Person A and B WILL get the SAME moderated assessment mark.

Similarly, if there are 3 people in equal first position, same rule will apply and the average of the best 3 external marks becomes the moderated assessment mark for these 3 individuals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)