UAI - possible to...? (1 Viewer)

NLAngel

HSC
Heya
I'm a bit worried about my rank and my sister's rank in subjects! (yes, i want to beat her bad for the sake of the feeling, :angry: )I was wondering, since two units of english count and I'm lower than her in that, will I have to work extra hard to beat her?

English advanced
Me - 14/41-ish
Her - 7/41-ish

Math 2 unit
Me - 10/38-ish
Her - 12/38-ish

Biology
Me - 2/16
Her - 1/16

IPT
Me - 1/16
Her - 2/16

Business Studies
Me - 5/26ish
Her - 6/26ish

Chemistry - unknown :S

I'm really confused about rankings in subjects and what it has to do with the UAI, so many people have so many different explanations. Does the difference between 1st and 2nd rank count for something? Could someone explain more clearly if possible? Thanks.

runnable

HSC
Interesting. Twin sister?

Anyway. I think you are slightly behind your sister. Just work extra hard and do well in the externals.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
There are other members on here who could explain this in a lot more detail if you like but I can have a crack at it for you.

Basically the BOS takes the ranking list from your school and assigns each student an exam mark corresponding to their position. So for English ADV your internal mark will be whatever the 14th highest exam mark is. The internal mark is worth 50%. (The other 50% comes from the HSC itself and that part is entirely how well you do individually in the exam.)

They do this because the HSC exam is the only way that every person in the state doing the course can be tested equally. All schools have different standards of difficulty which affects internal marks. For example, someone who gets 90% in Mathematics at a hardcore selective school is not necessarily equal to someone who gets 90% in Mathematics at, say, my school (with its depressingly low ranking and relatively easy tests) so it wouldn't be fair for the BOS to slap a 90% on as both their internal marks.

Here's an example for you:

In IPT you're coming first and she's coming second. But say in the exam she comes first in your grade with a mark of 99/100 and you come second with a mark of 97/100. What will happen is that for the EXTERNAL mark she will get 99/100 and you'll get 97/100. But for the INTERNAL mark the BOS will assign you a 99/100 and her a 97/100 because you received first place and she got second in school assessments.

In this scenario neither of you are really affected because basically you're just sharing your marks with each other but if you were to get a lower exam score it would make a difference. When it really gets irritating is if you get 1st in the exam in Bio with a really good mark but the 2nd highest mark is like an 80%. That'll drag you down a fair bit.

So from this point on as runnable says it's important to work as hard as you can and do well in the exams themselves. I think you will need to put in a bit extra in English to catch up with her but I'm sure you'll manage it :). Good luck!

lionking1191

HSC
the difference is minute - it will come down to the external so keep up the good work

and sibling rivalry? how cute...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)