Uai Help (1 Viewer)

azn_chocobo

HSC
ive got some pretty bad subjects which scale me down, so i was wondering if its possible to get a 95 like max as a UAI

Busines STudies - scales down
I.T (Information Technology) - scales down
Standard English - scales down
Maths 2/3U - scales up
Economics - scales up

so yeh just wondering cause as of now, I.T scales the worst since its an easy subject
and advice? thanks

Captain pi

HSC
azn_chocobo said:
so yeh just wondering cause as of now, I.T scales the worst since its an easy subject
and advice? thanks
No, IT 'scaled down' because of the 'low-ability candidature'. But aside from quotation marks:

The Bored Community would need to know your school, where you are ranked in those courses, and a general idea of the Universities' Admissions Indicies at that school in order to give you a more accurate prediction.

If you get in the 90th state percentile for all your courses, your scaled (not aligned) marks would, in 2004, have been:

Busines STudies - 75.0/100.0
I.T (Information Technology) - 62.8/100.0 (only 1U)
Standard English - 57.2/100.0
2U Maths - 83.0/100.0
3U Maths - 46.5/50.0
Economics - 83.8/100.0

Which would have given an aggregate of 377 / 500 (three sig. figs.) which would have implied a UAI of about 90.20. Those are quite good marks for those courses.

In short, ask your careers' advisor.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
As I've mentioned to some other guys as well, a particular subject combo doesn't usually prevent you from attaining a certain UAI. You could, for instance, get 99+ with your subject combo...it might be quite difficult though, given the scaling of the courses. That said, the dux of my school (99.90) did Standard English...so it's not impossible.

You do have 11 units, so I'd guess that 1 unit of IT won't count because of the scaling...this may not be the case if you do well in it in comparison with your other subjects. However, as captain_pi said, it is necessary for you to give us more info first.

azn_chocobo

HSC
well i go to sydney technical high, a selective school so yeh
thanks for the advice

azn_chocobo

HSC
forgot to say that our school hasnt really given out ranks yet
since we've only done 1 assesment task so yeh =/
i guess ill ask later once we get ranks + more marks
thanks for the help anyway =)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
You could post up your first assessment results if you want to...it may give a rough estimate of where you're headed.

bEAbEA

HSC
If my rank in the class is low, but my mark is still relatively high, will that disadvantage me.
Eg. my physics class has about 15 people in it, but it is extremely competitive, so there is no way that I will get in the top 6. Will thins work against me?
In most of my classes (except legal) this same think happens

azn_chocobo

HSC
well since i wanna see how im goin so far
english standard - mark: 13/15 rank: 1/40
Maths 2U - mark 40/54 rank: n/a
maths 3U - mark 33.5/55 rank: n/a
Business studies - mark: 16/20 rank: n/a
Economics - mark: 15/20 rank n/a
I.T - mark 90/100 rank: n/a

thats what ive gotten for my 1st assesment tasks
most which were only worth aroundf 10-15% of our HSC or so
wonderin how this would look, say if improved as a UAI

thanks

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
bEAbEA said:
If my rank in the class is low, but my mark is still relatively high, will that disadvantage me.
Eg. my physics class has about 15 people in it, but it is extremely competitive, so there is no way that I will get in the top 6. Will thins work against me?
In most of my classes (except legal) this same think happens
The short answer is no.
E.g. at selective schools, I'm quite sure that the gap between 1st and 50th may be as small as 5-10 marks for some subjects due to the shear competitiveness.

However, that said, I don't know what the standard of your school is or how easy the teachers are setting your exams. Of course, if the exams are relatively easy, then students will be packed towards the higher marks - hard exams tend to separate the marks out.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
azn_chocobo said:
well since i wanna see how im goin so far
english standard - mark: 13/15 rank: 1/40
Maths 2U - mark 40/54 rank: n/a
maths 3U - mark 33.5/55 rank: n/a
Business studies - mark: 16/20 rank: n/a
Economics - mark: 15/20 rank n/a
I.T - mark 90/100 rank: n/a

thats what ive gotten for my 1st assesment tasks
most which were only worth aroundf 10-15% of our HSC or so
wonderin how this would look, say if improved as a UAI

thanks
Based on marks alone, you look like you're getting in the 70-80 range for most of your subjects. For an average school, I'd say that internal marks of around 80 would give a UAI in the low-90s.
Seeing as you go to a selective school, then I'd say you're on track for a high-80s to low-90s UAI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)