UAI Cutoff for engineering? medicine? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Is anyone aware of the uai cutoff for engineering courses, or medicine? Or at least, an estimation? I've heard many rumours saying you need 99 and above to engineering and medicine.. but I've also heard people getting into it with UAIs as low as 96, 98 [for both med n engineering]. I understand there is teh UMAT to be done, people have also said that they have lowered the UAI for medicine because of this.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Your post is nonsense.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Engineering--set cutoff unless through alternative entry schemes which are specific to each uni--you will need to check

Medicine--min UAI of 95 to be considered + UMAT + interview, but usually only those with UAIs of 99+ get in

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
well getting 95+ is a start, but also doing well in your UMAT and interview counts a great deal too

lala2

Banned
HSC
to be considered yes. But to secure an interview, you will need an exceptionally high UMAT if you are settling for a UAI of 95.

HSC
oh alright. thanks for your help ! unlike jb_nc who is slack and arrogant.

HSC
At uow engineering's 78.00 UAI.....and I'm sure there's places with a lower uai around as well! :D

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Yeah, the UAI for Engineering isn't particularly high when compared to Medicine. I think it was possible to get into UNSW last year with a UAI of 86 or so.

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
Check the UMAT guide book ,becoz if u can get top score in UMAt and have 92 + it doesn't matter , but u have to do well in ur interview. A relative of mine in 2005 got into medicine she had only UAI of 94,but she did really well in the UMAT and interview , and got entry to Monash as well , ie, i m going there next year, u might c me there , good luck with ur studies and hope that u get into medicine ,humm
don't stress too much, as long as u get 94 + it's good engough ,coz doing well in ur umat and interview are the main components.:)

sly_skittle

HSC
the UAIs are a lot lower than 99. If you wanted to do medicine at UNSW or Syd. then you would need about 98+ to be considered but for medicine at newcastle i think the cut-off is 93 or 91 if your a rural student and UWS cut-off is something like 91.with these uni's once you reach the cut-off they say that they only look at the UMAT and interview so in theory it shouldn't matter if you got 93 or 99.
for engineering it really depends on what you want to do. At the bottom of the UAI's is chemical/communication/ civil engineering (UAI's range from low 60's to low 80's at the top uni's). Then further up is biomedical engineering (about 92 i think at the better uni's). Then comes aeronautical engineering which is 94?? at Sydney uni. At the top is any type of space engineering at sydney which has a cut-off of 98+

trustmenever

Banned
HSC
sly_skittle said:
the UAIs are a lot lower than 99. If you wanted to do medicine at UNSW or Syd. then you would need about 98+ to be considered but for medicine at newcastle i think the cut-off is 93 or 91 if your a rural student and UWS cut-off is something like 91.with these uni's once you reach the cut-off they say that they only look at the UMAT and interview so in theory it shouldn't matter if you got 93 or 99.
for engineering it really depends on what you want to do. At the bottom of the UAI's is chemical/communication/ civil engineering (UAI's range from low 60's to low 80's at the top uni's). Then further up is biomedical engineering (about 92 i think at the better uni's). Then comes aeronautical engineering which is 94?? at Sydney uni. At the top is any type of space engineering at sydney which has a cut-off of 98+

thats true but what surprises me is that , Monash which is one of the top universities in Australia , the UAI cutt-offs is 93 or 92, but if u get top score in UMAT and Interview, u r in
coz sometimes people fucks up their HSC due to many reasons and don't do their best
Ie, family reasons, sickness, and so on .....

M.S.

HSC
I don't understand why you have placed engineering and medicine together, engineering by itself is quite low, unless you're refering to Space Engineering.

Medicine is hard to say, because you have to do UMAT. Even if you're UAI is great it only makes up a third of your entrance qualification. Different unis have different cutoffs for medicine, however you need a very good UAI to get into UNSW (very high UMAT and interview score too) because it is so competitive.

If you think you are going to get a really high UAI, then apply for Combined Medicine at USYD, the minimum UAI is 99.95 and there is an interview process, but you don't have to have done UMAT nor do GAMSAT later on. It's 7 years but you get a scholarship which is good :)

aussiechica7

HSC
umat > uai, trust me.

go to www.medstudentsonline.com , THOROUGHLY read all of the threads already up there and THEN ask whatever other questions u have.

"how to get into med schools" is somewhere under the "getting into medicine forum"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)