UAI cut off for med ? (1 Viewer)

FromDeeEast

HSC
I know to get into medicine its a combination of umat score and UAI, i've heard that melbourne is easy to get into for medicine (in terms of uai and umat). I wanted to know since i live in a rural area what is the lowest uai mark thats been accepted to medicine.

I know that they do not accept purely on uai etc, but i am getting around a 92 uai atm (i suck at english lol) but i would like to know if i have a good chance of getting into med still or should i start looking for engineering courses etc

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
you have do extremely well in UMAT and also in the interview to have any chance of getting in

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
With a 92 UAI you have a good chance of getting into a med school in Indonesia.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
You live in a rural area but "from dee east"? :confused:

And the indonesia jab was harsh. Replace with uws haha.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
maybe from the eastside yo?
ie asian...you could tell since he sucks at english

FromDeeEast

HSC
lol umm i am actually from the middle east so no not indonesia, and when i meant i am shit at english as in i hate writing essays and sutff, not that i cant talk english lol...

about the umat i am pretty sure i wouldnt get anything lower then 200, since i live in the middle of no where i can go in as a rural student, which like a 90 uai and a decent umat, but i have to come back and live in the country for ages which is not what i want to do.

And lol 92 uai is really that low? I am getting band 6's (according to school which is pretty accurate) for software and physics, mid 80's in x1 math and mid 70's in x2, but i am getting like 70 in std english lmao :s

HSC
FromDeeEast said:
lol umm i am actually from the middle east so no not indonesia, and when i meant i am shit at english as in i hate writing essays and sutff, not that i cant talk english lol...

about the umat i am pretty sure i wouldnt get anything lower then 200, since i live in the middle of no where i can go in as a rural student, which like a 90 uai and a decent umat, but i have to come back and live in the country for ages which is not what i want to do.

And lol 92 uai is really that low? I am getting band 6's (according to school which is pretty accurate) for software and physics, mid 80's in x1 math and mid 70's in x2, but i am getting like 70 in std english lmao :s
It's low if you consider the majority of medical students get 98+.

If you get 200+ UMAT you're also going well. That may be the difference whether you get the interview or not.

aussiechica7

HSC
OK, if you want actual med students to answer these questions go to www.medstudentsonline.com

First of all, you KNOW you will get over 200 raw score on your UMAT? Good luck because only like 1% of people get that. Considering English is not your strongest point, how do you plan to do well on section 1?

You need to practice practice practice until the day of your exam. You will NOT breeze through it, the UMAT is a biatch and you have to prepare. (I'm not speaking for MSO when I say this) but I recommend a prep course (www.medentry.com.au was good for me) because they will provide you with many practice questions that will help you to really guage how you're doing with it. If you can get over 180 you should do OK. Just trust me, you won't get over 200 just because you want to. Just like most smart people won't get 100 UAI just because they want to (have to actually prepare and work for it).

Re: UAI where did you get the idea that Melb was easy to get into?!?! Melbourne is the hardest uni to get into marks wise because they're very prestigious and have no interview.

http://www.medstudentsonline.com/forums/how-to-get-into-different-schools-topic1806.html

That will tell you what you need for each undergrad med school in Aus and has a file on there you can use to get the contact details of all the med school.

It doesn't specifically mention rural but you could ask around.

Best rule of thumb: don't be content with a 92, aim as high as you can. And if you do get a UAI with low 90s, and don't get into med, study like a science degree or something and aim to get distinction average... then u should be able to get into some med schools, especially since you're rural (I think a D average at univ. is equivalent to a 96 or 97 UAI or something).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)