UAI calculator alpha2 (1 Viewer)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
This will give you an idea of what the final product will look like

This version supports more subjects and a more streamlined
method of inputting subjects.

it shows a reverse tab, but that isn't implemented yet

you don't need to download java again if you already got it.

the HTML file itself automatically check for java and downloads 1.4.1, since it is smaller.

However, i do recomend going to www.java.com and getting 1.4.2 since it contains many performance/stability improvements.

EDIT: the scaling/uai engine has not been changed, I'm gonna focus on UI for the time being

DON'T!!! download this one, scroll down
STOP DOWNLOADING THIS ONE, SCROLL DOWN FOR NEWER VERSION.

In this one the code feature doesn't work properly.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
It's a bit more work to add/remove subjects to begin with, as opposed to the old system where it was all there for you in pull-down menus. Although this is a bit of 'extra work' to begin with, I can understand that jUAIseeker is meant for personal use and so 'there wouldn't be any reason' why all subjects should be displayed (as was the case in the previous release of jUAIseeker and LazSeeker).

Also, a very minor comment - this may have been just me but I ended up with 18 units because I forgot to change the units from 2 to 1. (subsequently adding extension units as a 2-unit course, along with Studies of Religion, although I picked SOR/I, it was weighted at 2-unit because I hadn't specified '1' in the drop-down menu).

Keep up the good work jm! :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
It's a bit more work to add/remove subjects to begin with, as opposed to the old system where it was all there for you in pull-down menus. Although this is a bit of 'extra work' to begin with, I can understand that jUAIseeker is meant for personal use and so 'there wouldn't be any reason' why all subjects should be displayed (as was the case in the previous release of jUAIseeker and LazSeeker).

Also, a very minor comment - this may have been just me but I ended up with 18 units because I forgot to change the units from 2 to 1. (subsequently adding extension units as a 2-unit course, along with Studies of Religion, although I picked SOR/I, it was weighted at 2-unit because I hadn't specified '1' in the drop-down menu).

Keep up the good work jm! :)
Yeah, it is a bit more work at the start, but you can just save the code and input it for all your subjects instantly.

you need select 1 from drop down menu for SOR(one unit)
If you make a mistake you just select the course and remove

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hhehe, nice nice. I love the new format. Its sophisticated, and the code system is awesome.

Just out of curiousity, why are you making this? Its for personal use only, i know, but are you making this for the BoS community in general, or for youself? Maybe so you can predict other peoples UAI's?

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jm1234567890
Yeah, it is a bit more work at the start, but you can just save the code and input it for all your subjects instantly.
Yep, I understood why it 'had' to be done. It's just 'quicker' for me to see all subjects and click a pull-down menu, hit the first letter of the course and cycle through (although this, in itself, sounds like a lot more work than loading an existing savefile ;)).
Originally posted by Huy
jUAIseeker is meant for personal use and so 'there wouldn't be any reason' why all subjects should be displayed.
you need select 1 from drop down menu for SOR(one unit)
If you make a mistake you just select the course and remove
Sorry, I knew 'the errors of my ways' - but thanks jm. :)
Originally posted by Huy
I ended up with 18 units because I forgot to change the units from 2 to 1. (subsequently adding extension units as a 2-unit course, along with Studies of Religion, although I picked SOR/I, it was weighted at 2-unit because I hadn't specified '1' in the drop-down menu).

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Sorry, I prefered the older version, when I change windows, all the marks dissapeared :confused:

BTW - I put 0 for all my marks and got a uai of about 56 LOL

It matches quite well with Ozseek's 2002 uai, the 2003 uais look inflated on that.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by enak
Sorry, I prefered the older version, when I change windows, all the marks dissapeared :confused:
Same here, the calculation 'algorithm' is still the same, so I'm using the last version (alpha).

That was one thing that annoyed me, changing tabs meant that the marks were gone. I was also a little disappointed to see that I could not copy and paste the "reference code" for later retrieval of subjects. I even wrote the code down, re-ran jUAIseek and manually entered the reference code again, in lower and upper case - to no avail, which meant that I had to re-select my subjects.

The old version was much 'easier' to use, (in my opinion). :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Same here, the calculation 'algorithm' is still the same, so I'm using the last version (alpha).

That was one thing that annoyed me, changing tabs meant that the marks were gone. I was also a little disappointed to see that I could not copy and paste the "reference code" for later retrieval of subjects. I even wrote the code down, re-ran jUAIseek and manually entered the reference code again, in lower and upper case - to no avail, which meant that I had to re-select my subjects.

The old version was much 'easier' to use, (in my opinion). :)
you can copy and paste the code, thats the whole point.....
And what do you mean when you change windows, the subjects dissappeared.
This method is required for a reverse version.

Instructions on use:
1. Use the combobox to select the subjects and units
i.e. Adv English (2), or SOR/I (1)
2. press add to add the subject to the list
3. continue process untill you have added all your subjects to the list.
4. you should see a code in the code text box
5. copy and paste this to a text file.
6. next time you start the seeker
7. past the code into the input code text box and click ok
8. you subjects should be instantly added

Note:
If nothing happens, there was something wrong with your code.
Please:
1. pm me with the code, your OS, your browser, your version of java and any other relevant info.

EDIT: the code is in ALL UPPERCASE

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC

BTW - I put 0 for all my marks and got a uai of about 56 LOL

It matches quite well with Ozseek's 2002 uai, the 2003 uais look inflated on that.
yeah, the estimation for the 0 HSC mark needs improvement. The fact this almost no ppl (if not 0 ppl) will get those kind of marks so i reckon it is still accurate.

Huy

HSC
N/A
you can copy and paste the code, thats the whole point.....
And what do you mean when you change windows, the subjects dissappeared.
This method is required for a reverse version.

Instructions on use:
1. Use the combobox to select the subjects and units
i.e. Adv English (2), or SOR/I (1)
2. press add to add the subject to the list
3. continue process untill you have added all your subjects to the list.
4. you should see a code in the code text box
5. copy and paste this to a text file.
6. next time you start the seeker
7. past the code into the input code text box and click ok
8. you subjects should be instantly added

Note:
If nothing happens, there was something wrong with your code.
Please:
1. pm me with the code, your OS, your browser, your version of java and any other relevant info.
EDIT: the code is in ALL UPPERCASE
Originally posted by Huy
That was one thing that annoyed me, changing tabs meant that the marks were gone. I was also a little disappointed to see that I could not copy and paste the "reference code" for later retrieval of subjects.

I even wrote the code down, re-ran jUAIseek and manually entered the reference code again, in lower and upper case - to no avail, which meant that I had to re-select my subjects.
The thing is, I cannot copy and paste the code into my clipboard (at all). Right clicking does not work, control +C does not work and 'Copy' is not visible from the Edit menu. Changing windows, sorry, was meant to be 'changing tabs' (to and fro between first, second and third tabs, but I do realise the 'reverse' -last- tab is not functional at the moment).

I can perform all 'steps' up to 4, but the problem lies within step 5, otherwise I would have tried to perform Steps 6 to 8 - upon using jUAIseek next time (as I had mentioned earlier, even though I could not copy and paste the code, I managed to type it out manually, and re-entered the code manually, in lower case at first, however I did also try entering the code in upper-case). :)

Edit

Code: FCAQARFMBBFVESFJBN
Operating System: Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack 1 Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 : Service Pack 1)
Internet Browser: Internet Explorer 6 w/ Service Pack 1 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633
Java Virtual Machine: Sun Java 2 Runtime Environment (J2RE) Standard Edition (SE) 1.4.2_01-b06

Edit 2
I still cannot copy and paste the code at all, however I can re-type the code into Notepad ("manually copying/retyping") the code, and re-running jUAIseek, then having to re-enter the code manually (by hand), and hitting OK - this will then load my subjects. However I cannot right click the input field, nor can I access any copying/pasting commands from the Edit Menu (or via the use of Control+C and V). :)

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah, after further testing, your right.... stupid java.
The clipboard seems to be "Inside" java and the data is lost when you exit.

grrr... i will have to look into this

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
I tried inputting '0' for everything in UAISeeker and it came up with <30, so probably your program needs some tweaking in the highly unlikely cases to be more correct, otherwise it fits inline with UAISeekers 2002 results. The 2003 projected results are about 2 points higher for me, so ill use the 2002 as an estimation of what ill get to not be dissapointed.

edit: I tried finding where the limit of "less than 30" on UAISeeker was, and for my subjects, all of them were 42 in aligned marks, subjecs were mat ext1/2, eng adv, chem, sdd.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Why would you want 'the lowest' UAI possible, out of the seeker? Just wanted to know (out of curiosity), or...? :confused:

Nobody would ever score 0 in each subject, but even then, you'll be getting 'UAI: Less than 30.00' via UAC, so it would still be correct from the seekers point of view.
This version is accurate for UAIs >60 and marks >25% of state.

For values outside this limit the prediction is dodgy.

Also courses that don't have a large candidature is dodgy too.

However, you must remember this IS an alpha version.
:)

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Ye, it was just out of curiosity, but still, it would be funny getting 0 for all subjects and still getting a uai >50 :p

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by theone123
hey one thing jm, this ver. lags a lot...
It doesn't lag for me. Maybe you can PM jm with:

i) Your computer specifications, hardware details
ii) Your Internet Browser, versions and build number(s) if applicable
iii) Your Java Virtual Machine (runtime environment), version and build number(s) if applicable
iv) Your operating system, software details - version and build number(s) if applicable.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Ye, it was just out of curiosity, but still, it would be funny getting 0 for all subjects and still getting a uai >50 :p
UAIseeker just sets all the 0 HSC marks to 0, i acctually try to estimate a 0 mark

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I'm deciding to make this prog an application rather than an applet.

Although i have had bad experiences with Java applications and windows, there is just so much more you can do with an appilcation.

On MacOSX, unix, linux, etc., just double-click the jar file (1.4.2 is already installed on those OS's)

on pcs, install Java 1.4.2 and you should be able to run it by just double clicking the jar file (assuming nothing else has stolen the association....)

Tell me if you have any problems, i hope there aren't any.
Remeber any problems are prolly not my fault, they are Bill Gate's fault for supporting Java so poorly.

Huy

HSC
N/A
JUAIseek application:

Pros

- I can now copy and paste my code (from the clipboard), loading subjects automatically.

Cons
- I cannot input any marks "properly". I am still able to enter marks via the Input fields, and the scale works to an extent (when I hit Enter, it will move/slide, as expected).
- Scaled marks cannot be seen, along with the percentile, aggregate, or UAI (at all).

A picture paints a thousand words:

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)