Uai 99+? (1 Viewer)

stainmepink

HSC
ok, i want to get a uai above 99, or around high 98s. i'm still wondering if this is achievable, since i'm getting an overall 80ish percent in my school assessments. i havne't gotten ranks for anything yet, but i'd say im about average rank for everything. i go to sghs if that helps. do you think i can still get there?

thanks in advance

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Most Likely yes... school assesments only account for 50% of your hsc mark.. so if you get 89-90s during hsc... definately...

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
this is from my experience:

in all subjects, must get into at least top 10, most preferable top 5 + must achieve minimum 85 marks for all subjects in school assessments + must achieve at least 90 for all subjects as ur final HSC mark = UAI 99+

so at this stage, work harder to get those higher 80s and slowly climb up the rank ladder!

hope it helps, M.D.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
It depends on the subjects you're doing and the school you're going to. In general, if you're doing something like science subjects, economics or extension mathematics, and you're at a top 20 school, you're still on course. On the other hand if you're doing drama, arabic beginners and general maths at a country school I'm afraid you'll need to come first in everything. ;) But unless you're at James Ruse it's probably a good idea to work a little harder to guarantee a 99+.

Last edited:

bustinjustin

HSC
Depends on what subjects you do.

If your program goes along the lines of Art, Modern History, Geograpy and only 2U of Maths (though I did do 4 units of English which were my best subjects), then you're looking at 95 - 96 with your current progress.

Don't stress if you're not ranked 1st or 2nd in all of your subjects, just as long as you're up there.
But if you're doing 4U Maths - concentrate on it. It will do wonders for your aggregate and eventual UAI...

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
bustinjustin said:
Depends on what subjects you do.

If your program goes along the lines of Art, Modern History, Geograpy and only 2U of Maths (though I did do 4 units of English which were my best subjects), then you're looking at 95 - 96 with your current progress.

Don't stress if you're not ranked 1st or 2nd in all of your subjects, just as long as you're up there.
But if you're doing 4U Maths - concentrate on it. It will do wonders for your aggregate and eventual UAI...
You're totally right, even though I came 44/65 in 4U maths its aggregate contribution was greater than my 3/35 in modern history.

HSC
sam04u said:
Most Likely yes... school assesments only account for 50% of your hsc mark.. so if you get 89-90s during hsc... definately...
It doesn't quite work that way .... From my understanding your school assessments are worth 60% and your trials are worth 40% (i think ... the ratio may be wrong!). This mark as well as your rank is moderated against the mark that you receive in your HSC exam. For an example -

(Assessment Mark) Rank (HSC mark) (Moderated Mark)
85 1 90 90
83 2 70 roughly 80
75 3 85 roughly 80
65 4 70 roughly 70
43 5 65 roughly 50

If the stupid assessment modeller was working correctly i would be able to give you a better idea - http://www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php

This moderated mark is taken by UAC and calculated into a UAI which is even more complicated again!!

i hope i helped ... lol

EDIT: sorry bout the table

Last edited:

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
The marks for school assessments don't matter as much as the ranks you achieve. Some schools set really hard assessment tasks, and others relatively easy ones. It's the ranks that are used to decide your moderated assessment mark. Keep your rank high, get all band sixes in the HSC exams, and you should get 98-99.

I_F

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Trials count as part of your school assessment. So the 50/50 ratio of assessment/exam still applies, but (if you're right) 60% of that 50% comes from in-school assessment tasks and 40% comes from trials.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Yeah.. but its not exactly like that... they work out your schools rank from the standard deviation of school assesment based on that of the hsc.

School ranked 40/750

1 75 60 (70) <--- Final mark, the hsc mark of the person ranked 2nd was higher..
2 70 70 (67) But because of the rank person ranked 1st takes that persons
3 68 60 (60) Hsc Mark... it sucks doesnt it?

Rank is important... but still the school assesment mark isnt worth rubbish... its used to compare... so if your school does bad... you lose marks from the assesment...

eg; School assement
Mean; 75
Std Dev; 4.2

HSC;
Mean; 55
Std Dev 1.4

In that case the top 10 people would get dragged down badly.. and they could have scored... 90s and 80s..

But you only see the moderated HSC mark...

But since you go to a good school... your rank of 40/80 (average) is equivalent to someone elses rank of 3/40 in a below average school....

So... thats why i said that getting 89-90 during the HSC (which you will have plenty of time to study for) will equate to high aggregates in almost any 2unit subject...

Which would mean a uai of about 98-99

Even if you just maintain your rank

pirate!

HSC
yep, you'll have to work a hell of a lot harder if you want to get that UAI. try for at least high 80's, and into the 90's, if you want to get it. also, depends on your subjects, your school, and your rank. if you have a good school and a good class, if theres a difference in marks from your school assessments in your class, but you all do about the same in the hsc, all your class marks will be brought up. its happened at my school quite a few times. but yeah, if you want to achieve that: work a lot harder and dont waste any time. start all your summaries now and keep up to date, that way when it comes hsc time its just revising, not trying to build your foundation.

zan zoon

HSC
i think getting a Uai of 99+ is great but seriously it doesnt add up to anything but getting into university studing for the next 5 to 10 years id rather have a life because those people who get 99+ sure their smart but are they having fun? No. i dont know anyone successful (and by successful i mean having a life with meaning not just a large income) who acctually did that well in their hsc and iam not saying knowledge is important because it is very important all iam saying its not everything and peolple should not take it so seriosly, because its not the end of the world...

A l

HSC
N/A
zan zoon said:
i think getting a Uai of 99+ is great but seriously it doesnt add up to anything but getting into university studing for the next 5 to 10 years id rather have a life because those people who get 99+ sure their smart but are they having fun? No. i dont know anyone successful (and by successful i mean having a life with meaning not just a large income) who acctually did that well in their hsc and iam not saying knowledge is important because it is very important all iam saying its not everything and peolple should not take it so seriosly, because its not the end of the world...
LOL, that is such ridiculous stereotyping!!!
There are HEAPS of people who have a social life and are also smart as well as hard working. How is that possible? Well, they are effective organisers in their time. They are more than likely able to complete work faster than others therefore giving them time for social activity. Most people who gain a high range UAI generally have a healthy balance between their social and educational lives, thus they do not crack under pressure. Also, who wouldn't take the HSC seriously? It's one of the easiest pathways to get into tertiary study. Better put in the effort now than put in the extra effort later. Everyone has to take it seriously to a certain extent otherwise there would be no point in going on to Year 12 anyway.
Of course, there are those who take it a little too seriously which I can safely say is a minority group AND there those who bludge their way through the course and use what you said above as an excuse to go out and be lazy.
Organisation and balance are they keys to succeeding in the HSC course.

zan zoon

HSC
well thats stupid what your saying is to get a good HSC result you have to be great at time managment wheres the brains or creativity in that. time managment is boring as if youd live your life on a plan how restricted how boring if you ask me an hsc result is a man made object its just a peice of paper and i wasnt saying its not important to be smart because it is, but you dont need a little peice of paper saying so. and i wasnt steriotyping it was just my own observation and i also wasnt saying to bludge through your HSC all i was trying to say is try your best but dont go over board and feel as if it was the end of the world

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)