• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Two Unit Surfing as HSC course? (1 Viewer)

OutOfOrder

HSC
Sounds like a good idea, lucky Byron Bay...

And you could have a wirrten surfing exam, like on what the article said: manufacture and industry (doubling as a kinda business module) and weather (part geography), lifesaving and emergency stuff most likely, there is plenty of stuff. I'd do it.

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
2u surfing for HSC?

this is for all the salt-water heads that are too lazy to do anything else. An absolute cop-out!

HSC
N/A
Ok. For all those who are bashing the course, try to say something intelligent other than "oh, so that's what those stupidheads are doing".

Personally, I think it's a good idea. There is no way it's *just* about the act of surfing itself - they'd teach them all the important side stuff, like maintenance, board design etc etc, as someone mentioned earlier - education that will help them get a job. And that is something I *definately* support.

Just adding on now: I imagine that the surfing course would be something like 2U Elective Dance in yrs 9 and 10. Sure, a lot of people will think it's "easy" stuff, but it's still something you have to work on. Being interested in the subject helps. But you're still going to have to work.

HSC
I don't think many people that replied actually read past the first paragraph of the article.

This subject is no different to woodwork and PE.

The proposed surfing subject has a mix of skills in making surf boards and Physical Education and even other skills.

It's totally fine and suitable for anyone planning on operating a surf shop or become a surf instructor.

As stated in the article. The students will surf before and after school, not during school. The subject is not about learning to surf. One would assume the students doing the surfing course would already know how to surf.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
kadlil said:
marine studies is probably better than learnign aboriginal studies~:p
And aboriginal studies is probably better than chemistry.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
don't get me wrong, It sounds fun.. and i personally love surfing..
But as a HSC course... i think its rather pathetic.

Classes in Byron Bay are able to do it.. If other school want to.. they must apply...
and have "Community Support" - that just totally diminishes all effects of the course...

its 4 hrs a week... With practical - NO practical exam... none, and then you have a written/ how to manage component sure...
But its still stupid..
how many people are going to become pro. Surfers..

You can't learn any history.. there is no context involved.. no science of it, no learning techniques etc...

its bloody pathetic. what a fucken waste of school time.

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
kadlil said:
marine studies is probably better than learnign aboriginal studies~:p
what do u have against aboriginal studies, we live in australia for christ sake... besides their culture and spirituality is very complex... more depth that learning about riding waves... (not bashing this surfing course - sounds fun)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
kadlil said:
i reckon the worst subject would be to study aboriginal studies, haven't people learnt enough about them in history in year 7 - 10~??.. lol..
but what could you STUDY in surfing??? how to surf?? and basically combining it with business studies
oohh watch it kadlil, you could get yourself in some hot water for that
my god I had an english teacher who was a surfer. he read out all his poems and stories about surfing to us. it was fucking torture. and his head was shaped funny too.
I can understand why Byron Bay people would want to start a surfing course though but like the lady said I have doubts about the merit of it being a HSC course as well. We'd have to introduce skateboarding and BMX biking and soccer and whatnot to make it fair.

0Jade0

HSC
Just because you don't become a pro surfer doesn't mean you can't work in the industry. I would take it if they offered it. Retail, they go shopping, that's a joke.

Zali

HSC
If u all read the very 1st post it says they dont actually do any surfing. Its all about the surfing industry. I think its a good idea, itll keep some kids at school so that they end up completing their HSC which will give them a better chance at a job. Byron Bay is a surfing town so the jobs they'll probably want and go for will be in the surfing industry even if its just working in a surf shop. At least theyll hav some sort of training, more than if theyd hav dropped out after yr10 and become surfing bums.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)