Two Second Teaching Subjects...?! (1 Viewer)

will90211

HSC
Hi there.

I've filled out a preemptive internal undergraduate proposed program form as suggested before I attend the enrollment day. I've used the 'Teacher Education Program - Student Guide 2013'. I intend to do a BADipEd with a major in Modern History. I'm looking at the Suggested Pattern of Study for a student doing a Modern major on Pg 49. My question... Is it possible to do two second teaching subjects over the course of the degree, ideally, Society and Culture and Legal Studies? I notice that the guide leaves room for Electives, can these be replaced with those units for SC and Legal? Is it practical to do two second teaching subjects? Sorry for all the questions... Cheers.

(I sent this to their brilliant Future Students FB page... I wanted to also ask you guys to see what you thought)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its possible I'm accredited for both histories and s&C. The more subjects the more employable you are but also depends on the combinations. Eng his is the most popular for teachers atm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

will90211

HSC
You've been a great help thus far AsyLum so I wonder if I ay indulge you even further? As i said above I plan to do modern, Society and culture and legal. In my mind thats not the greatest set of subjects (mainly soc and legal) in terms of employability.

I am considering doing Ancient in a double major or minor but I'm anxious about the work load given it's double history
If I do Legal and SC (I haven't checked fully yet) I have just the right number of units
I really don't wanna do english or geo business/eco - so my options are limited

Help...!
Thanks

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Soc isn't because its really only seniors, but legal isn't too bad, there's a fair few positions for that opening up.

In terms of workload, yeah histories are going to be tough but not unachievable, and law subjects would be similar. To be fair most subjects are going to be fairly full on, regardless. Also look at maybe adding another year to help with the workload?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Remember that doing Modern History you will also have to teach Junior history so you need to think about what else you can teach to juniors (and at many schools the History teachers have to teach junior Geography as well).

Having a second senior subject is fine but think about at least doing some Geography or English in your degree to at least give you some knowledge to use with juniors.

will90211

HSC
Hi again... Update.

I really am doing some hard thinking. Trying to imagine what makes a person employable in terms of what they study at Uni is rather hard (and quite frankly unfair for an 18yo to make at this stage). What are your thoughts on this line up...?

Double Major in Ancient and Modern History
Minor in Society and Culture

I really do not wish to do Geo or English but would appreciate your opinions on those subjects in terms of content for Uni (I'm not English lover). I think I have jettisoned Legal... for now.

Edit: Thanks for your above posts, they have got me thinking. Also, the NC for 11-12 looks rather good.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You will have to have something else to teach juniors - most likely Geography - sorry but that is the way of the world. Now whether you want to walk into a school and have to start learning the stuff at the same level that you did it at school or have something extra is up to you but seriously you will need something besides history to teach juniors and Geography is the subject that is most often paired with History these days - due to hours etc. The other junior subject usually in the HSIE department is Commerce - or if you are considering attempting to teach in a private school, particularly a Catholic one, you will need to think about RE.

Having both histories and S&C for seniors is great but S&C has no junior course.

will90211

HSC
Thanks for your reply (Your thoughts, Aslyum? :) ).

Its ironic really. When I chose my subjects for 11/12 Geo was my least favourite subject, the one I was failing at also. I constantly toyed with the idea of dropping it until I just decided to run with it, dropping Eco. In the lead up the HSC I told my Geo teacher that she shouldn't expect any good results in this field. I barley studied for Geo, relying instead on SOR1 and History Ext. Then, to my horror and my (her) surprise I managed to get 80 on my HSC test... So really, it's funny that the subject I least liked in High School will consume me during Uni...

I think SC/Modern/Geo is a good mix.

I have always had an eye on to teach at Catho schools - I just graduated from a Marist school. What Units would I need to take to do RE? I don't think I could even fit it in...?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Up to you really in terms of subjects, only you can decide that one.

In terms of RE, you'll have to get that at ACU as we don't offer that at MQ

will90211

HSC
Hm. It is rather tough though choosing majors and minors when considering the employability credentials of each one.

will90211

HSC
Question...

I'm intending to complete a minor in Society and Culture as a second teaching subject as part of a BAdipEd. If I'm undertaking the Sociology unit for S1, SOC175, does this also satisfy the requirement of completing my required People Unit?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)