Tutoring (1 Viewer)

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
Sarah168 said:
I've been tutoring since the holidays started after the end of HSC exams. I got a UAI of 98 with 4 band 6's so it looks decent when telling potential students lol. Im really opposed to tuoring companies because there are ALOT of dodgy ones out there. My bro did about 10 hrs worth and they never paid him. Alot of the recuiting "HSC students and undergrads" look really dodgy. Some of the websites have blank pages for "payment claims". I joined one advertised in my local paper to find out more (never planning to actually tutor) and this girl called me back from her mobile and the place didnt even sound real. So, all ym student I found on my own. I dont earn much (a little under $100/week) but once uni starts, it will be a convenient "job" because of few hrs, flexibility, no physical strain from standing or packing, serving customers and the money is enough to pull me through each week. I need to keep a close eye on my marks once uni starts as well because Im aiming for first yr transfer and maybe honours too, so time to study and concentrate on classwork is important.
Shit, im with tutormaster atm, Iv taught 6 hrs and they havnt paid me yet, if its a blank promise from them, im gonna go insane

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah tutormaster is one of the dodgy ones. Be careful. they're all connected by one big company but the branches have separate little names.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I worked for 'tutoring for excellence' for about 4 weeks, only to find out that i only got paid half of what i should have gotten. I was told later that i didn't get paid for the first lesson i taught to every new student, but no where in the contract did it state that. So i basically got jipped about $100, and of course i quite the job.

Now i just work privately, for the reasons everyone else has stated. i seriously think a lot of those tutoring companies are conners, it's best to stay away from them.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I tutor 2 & 3 unit maths (both prelim and HSC). My results were good, but I kinda went wild in year 12 and screwed up somewhat and could of gone a bit better. It's my love for maths which fuels me to tutor other students. I only started recently but now that student I have is planning to introduce me to 2 others, 1 2 unit student and the other a 3 unit (but they're both identical twins so this is gonna be hard).
I charge around $25 hr.

Does anyone have any good advice for tutors (especially maths ones)? How do you guys excel your students? I usually first make sure my students do all the homework set by their teacher and answer any questions, I also make them a few worksheets per week on topics they need improvement on.. and I make them construct their own theory book. I never slam them for going bad or anything, but I try my best to constructively motivate them should they do bad in something.

Any other tips?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
sounds like you're doing a good job. never put them down, never make them feel uneasy, never seem like asking you a question is stupid or too much effort, but it seems like you're doing that already

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)